Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Rise of the Robots Arcade (Bellfruit)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
Can’t wait to see these!
Archminion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:42pm
Is it not possible that this is just an element of the game being a proto?

Some of the home versions have the exact same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZDNT3Ral7c&t=1s

You can even hear the cut off point and static on the Builder's stage, when the background sfx loop again.

Sorry to edit this yet again: This was the reason I would have loved to see the BFM Customer's cab up and running, the cab it's self appears to be a little further along than Ordyne's cab, so I'm thinking it could have in-game music? Or just a more complete, fluid gaming experience.

Could even be a good game??

It would be fantastic to possibly hear an updated version of the late great Richard Joseph's Rise soundtrack (which is pretty damn good on the SNES imo).

Or better yet, imagine the possibility of hearing the supposed unreleased Brian May tracks?

There are rumoured to be more tracks than just 'Cyborg' which was released for Rise 2.

Here's hoping this can be made possible... :)

Edited by Archminion - 05 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
DrGlitch View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:46pm
Here's the Puckman flyer front:

and back:

I've been doing a fair chunk of Bell Fruit research for the book I'm still working on (MIT Press said that they now think it should be a mainstream popular history which has set me back a bit).

Edited by DrGlitch - 05 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:48pm
I'm interested to hear more Good Doctor.

It'll help keep this post alive as well :)
DrGlitch View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:49pm
DrGlitch View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
And then Tank Battalion:

and

I reckon that they just bought a bunch of Namco boards under license.
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:03pm
Hi,

AFAIK we were never involved with bootleg/cloned games.
I know we used to get a lot of boards back for repair which had been fitted with bootleg roms by the customer. We'd even get cabs back with bootleg boards.

A bit of info on Rasterspeed. The software was developed on a pc compiled with the Microsoft compiler. The resulting .exe would run on the pc, emulating the Rasterspeed board. The .exe was then patched and it would run on Rasterspeed. I've no idea what the patch was :(

I've not heard of the unreleased stuff for ROTR before. If it wasn't part of the game we're unlikely to have a copy any more :(

DrGlitch View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:17pm
Cheers Dec,

I don't think that Bell Fruit would have been involved in bootlegs either, as manufacturers of gambling machines they had the gaming board breathing down their necks so much that anything dodgy could cost them their entire business. From what people have told me about the business back in the late 70s and early 80s it was simple - Namco / Midway / whoever would happily sell any company legit boards and were fairly lenient with granting licenses. It was afterall how they made money.

Things only became trickier as the 80s progressed and you had tied manufacturers and sole licenses.

Bell Fruit are a stand up company, one of the pillars of the British industry in my view.

Out of interest did you / do you work at Bell Fruit in Nottingham, was Pete Farrell overseeing game design then? Did you do any work on the Noddy license? [I'm not sure many people know about that].
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:42pm
Pete become director of games design in about 1999. All the boards that I have seen out of Pete’s arcade machine are all original Namco boards.
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 4:51pm
IIRC there were a couple of different Noddy things. Think there was Atari/Amiga game ? Started in house but might've ended up sub contracted to ATD or somewhere else ?

There was the Noddy rocking kiddy car which was in house. I didn't have anything to do with the game software, IIRC based on Cobra video board or a version of it.
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:02pm
There was some Atari/Amiga/PC titles release under “The Jumping Bean” company I do believe there is the odd boxed version still knocking about at Bell-Fruit
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 6:23pm
ROTR isn't a game that I've ever been particularly interested in personally but I've enjoyed reading this thread and the one that was on j+. I love that there are still people out there who are passionate about this game as a lot of collectors will look down there noses at a game like this and wrongly dismiss the other bell-fruit vid cabs as worthless boots. This is what it's all about for me, digging up and documenting and preserving every piece of our (uk) arcade history no matter what it is.
Keep up the good work guys, and get that book finished Alan, I can't wait Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
Dec,

It would have been very cool to get it running on an actual PC instead of through MAME.
So there is some PC compatibility after all, at least with the HDD ROM.
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:32am
Hi,

The hardware interface layer knows whether it's running on a pc or Rasterspeed and does very different things based on that. 
At the hardware level the only thing a pc and Rasterspeed have in common is they use the same cpu.

I agree it would be cool to run the arcade version on a pc properly but I doubt we're likely to see that unless someone can dig up an already working version from somewhere.

dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:06am
An older version of ROTR has been added to MAME :)

I don't have a PC powerful enough to emulate ROTR so don't know what the differences are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:25am
Hi Dec,

Could you link me to it please?

:)

Thanks
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Archminion Archminion wrote:

Hi Dec,

Could you link me to it please?

:)

Thanks

Hi,
I just spotted that an older version had been added to the source code for Rasterspeed emulation.
I guess it'll be in a later release of MAME or can probably download the source code and build it.
The disk image appears to be ROTRA.ZIP, I've not searched for it, again I guess it'll be on download sites somewhere.

Cheers
Lupin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 1:22pm
Interesting that this subject has come up again, commented on this Jamma+ forum sometime ago.
When to the original press launch in London at Amusement trade exhibition many years ago.
They had prototype cabinets there, and only think driving the press was Brian May's soundtrack.

Link for original press video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VnGHZLuFHuq0Ft66Dfg-Qrl_kqqUL1uD/view?usp=sharing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:57pm
Thank you Lupin my friend.

(for the other great stuff as well)...

Glenn
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 10:52pm
You may know already but the latest version of MAME (version 0.207) contains the earlier prototype of Rise Of The Robots released today
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic