Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Safely remove bubblewrap - static?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safely remove bubblewrap - static?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:04pm
I’ve got a spare game board that’s been wrapped in bubblewrap and left in a drawer for 10 years. I’ve only just been reading that it’s a bad idea to wrap pcb’s in bubblewrap because the static that can be caused could damage them. (I was a lot younger when I got it and had no idea bubblewrap would cause any problems).

Now I’m worried about it. Is there a way I can safely remove the bubblewrap as I suppose the static shocks will most likely happen when peeling away the wrap. (It’s just standard bubblewrap, not the pink static free stuff).
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
You can earth yourself using earth strap why unwraping / Handling. Nearly all the board I order are bubble wrapped and I do use it myself as its just the easy way. If its the Pink bubble wrap then it normally antistatic bubble wrap. The worse one is when they use plastic kitchen food wrap !! This is so static its unreal but ppl still use it.

Dave.

Edited by TheDaddy - 14 Jan 2020 at 5:17pm
AKA Wonderboy.
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 5:45pm
How would I earth myself with earth strap Dave?
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:27pm
AKA Wonderboy.
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:00pm
Normal bubblewrap is probably the most dangerous during transit, where the vibration builds static.  I doubt just peeling old bubblewrap will cause much harm.  I find it's the cmos ic's that are most prone to static.  Normal ttl not so much.
kingtreelo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingtreelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:02pm
i've built a fair few PCs(over 200) and people always tell me this...i never have used anything like this and nothing has ever broken or gone wrong......

i think its like the myth of not putting warm/boiling water on your frozen car window because it will crack.......

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:06pm
I had a dell engineer over to change a keyboard of an Alienware laptop for me.  I noticed he didnt wear a strap and was wearing a wooly jumper too, so I asked him.  His face went blue and he begged me not to say nothing to Dell as they take it very seriously.  I laughed and said his secret would be safe with me.  Got a few freebies before he left too Thumbs Up
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:07pm
Cheers @TheDaddy I’ve ordered one.

So is it the combination of me and the bubblewrap that creates the static then? I don’t really understand how it works. I mean I remember at school rubbing a balloon against my jumper and holding it against my hair and it would stand on end (I had hair then ).
But if I peel away the bubblewrap from the board while wearing this there will be no static created by just the bubblewrap itself?
Sorry I’m sure you know what you’re talking about I just want to be really sure myself as it’s my spare Playchoice motherboard and as you know they’re a lot more expensive than they used to be!

Edited by BraveDave - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:08pm
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
Its something to do with the balance of positive and negative electrons.  Won't bore you with the science.  A bit like an arcade collector and space.  if there is space we will fill it with cabs.  When there are too many cabs we have to get rid of some.  If there is a lot of space we will fill it up really fast with a massive load of cabs at once!  and if only one space available, or not much space we tend to be selective with what we buy. 

Edited by Monstermug - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:11pm
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

I had a dell engineer over to change a keyboard of an Alienware laptop for me.  I noticed he didnt wear a strap and was wearing a wooly jumper too, so I asked him.  His face went blue and he begged me not to say nothing to Dell as they take it very seriously.  I laughed and said his secret would be safe with me.  Got a few freebies before he left too Thumbs Up

I did think about not wearing a woolly jumper at least. At this rate I’ll be unwrapping it bollock naked with myself plugged into the mains socket! If something went wrong it would take some explaining!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:12pm
haha, pcbs are not that fragile. 
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

Its something to do with the balance of positive and negative electrons.  Won't bore you with the science.  A bit like an arcade collector and space.  if there is space we will fill it with cabs.  When there are too many cabs we have to get rid of some.  If there is a lot of space we will fill it up really fast with a massive load of cabs at once!  and if only one space available, or not much space we tend to be selective with what we buy. 

Not sure I understand the reference, but I do like the way you compare it to cab hoarding!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:17pm
I'm sure there be many here that can relate to it :D
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:27pm
I have built 100,s of pc's and repaired countless laptops, tv, video recorders ect ect. I always wear one , as said ttl are find but ram ect can be effected. Remember there is around 22000 volts in a carpet , low amperage obviously.

Dave.

Edited by TheDaddy - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:27pm
AKA Wonderboy.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
I got a belt of static from a pull-over (man-made fibre) the other day like you wouldn't believe! Pinch
r-type View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by BraveDave BraveDave wrote:

I did think about not wearing a woolly jumper at least. At this rate I’ll be unwrapping it bollock naked with myself plugged into the mains socket! If something went wrong it would take some explaining!

Brilliant! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm

Oh Jesus i only just read this , can you unread and unsee something ????

Dave has left the conversation .......

Lol.
AKA Wonderboy.
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by TheDaddy TheDaddy wrote:

Oh Jesus i only just read this , can you unread and unsee something ????

Dave has left the conversation .......

Lol.

Does this help Dave?

TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
Oh my lord no , be in therapy for years now. At least you got boxers on in the picture ! So thats a plus.

Dave.

Just a note :- image 2 you are plugged into live , image 1 you are plugged into neutral !

Edited by TheDaddy - 14 Jan 2020 at 10:21pm
AKA Wonderboy.
BraveDave View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BraveDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by TheDaddy TheDaddy wrote:

Oh my lord no , be in therapy for years now. At least you got boxers on in the picture ! So thats a plus.

Dave.

Just a note :- image 2 you are plugged into live , image 1 you are plugged into neutral !

Ah right, well at least I know which one is Earth now then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic