Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega Choplifter PCB repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega Choplifter PCB repair
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:13pm
I recently fixed a Sega Choplifter PCB. Its a System 2 board that I picked up a few years back.

From a quick visual inspection it was clear IC 152 & 153 we smashed and needed replacing. I'm not sure what had happened to them, they were half de-soldered on the underside and half missing as if they have be smashed up due to bad storage. I removed the leftovers of the broken bits and fitted two replacements. IC's positions in question, ready for a sockets and new parts.

After fitting replacement parts the self test ran and stopped with and Error for IC91. This is one of the CPU ROM's. After removing the ROM from the socket I could see the socket itself was caked in grime, I cleaned the socket and ROM legs and the game booted. Good news time to play a game...

Well it turned out the there were no sprites in the game, no nothing, couldn't really play a game. I also noticed in attract mode the helicopter and game title on the main screen was missing.

I did a bit of Google Kung-Fu and found a few forum posts about the PCB but nothing specific like the fault my PCB had.

I used the MAME source file to check which ROM's contained sprite data, with my trusty logic probe I went round checking various pins using the schematics. I honed in on the two banks of RAM that I had traced signal for the original Sprite ROM's,

The fault turned out to be a 74LS32 logic OR gate. which was located at position IC107, this logic is used to control the Write Enable signal for the Sprite RAM. inputs to the Logic gates were happily toggling away but the output was always low and the I could tell by the way my probes LED was lit that something wasn't happy. The output should have been toggling but it wasn't. Piggybacking the IC with a known good chip didn't fix the problem and actually made the screen image worse but  still convinced it was at fault, I removed the suspect IC, fitted a new socket and replacement IC. The sprites were now back looking good!

Well good until the Tanks showed themselves, they came on to the screen with vertical lines running through them as shown below.

I decided to remove the other ROM's that deal with sprites and found pins 14 & 15, (the bottom two on either side) had been bent over when fitted in the socket at some point.

Two minutes later after using some long nose pliers, the legs were straightened and the ROM refitted. This fixed the problem with the lines running through the Tanks. 

The final thing I had already noticed was that the sound was badly distorted and quiet, you could hear all the sounds but something wasn't right. After a closer inspection of the sound section, I could see the audio amplifier has previously popped with a section of IC missing.

A Wonder Boy PCB came to the rescue as a temporary donor for a replacement amplifier. 

Once fitted all sounds and music played fine and that was it PCB fixed.

Edited by smarty - 07 May 2019 at 8:45pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
- Atari Return of the Jedi upright cabinet.
- Atari Pole Position PCB's.
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:31pm
Great fix Martin, lovely write up as usual
Gary07745 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary07745 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:40pm
Clever clogs
wanted arcade cabinet
Looking for Original Full size centipede cab
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:53pm
Good job, missing sprites on these boards can be a tough one to track down. I've had it be caused by a number of different things bad ttls, pal, custom etc.
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:59pm
Woohoo. Nice fix and superb writeup smarty!
keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:47pm
Very nice write up and fix! Kudos!
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:54pm
I always love reading and watching how people track down faults on PCB's.

Choplifter is a cracking game, nice job with the repair!
Insert Coin[s]
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:44am
I think I may have had a sneak preview on this one ;)
Nice one Smarty! Just having a little cry for that donor Wonderboy pcb.. Sick

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic