Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
I forgot to add, when the accel pedal was doing it's own thing THAT was service station grade at it's finest! LOL

The cab was in pretty decent condition overall, but when it's finished Stegrey is gonna be even more disappointed that he sold it to you.

Not trying to rub it in Ste, honest! Wink
Insert Coin[s]
jase38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:16pm
I love your attention to detail, the cab is coming on a treat. Keep up the awesome work! :)
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jase38 jase38 wrote:

I love your attention to detail, the cab is coming on a treat. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Gonna try to get it looking as nice as yours mate.. I think they lived together once upon a time
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm
Great work Gary :) I see what you meant now about the footplate not being right, Its going to look amazing when finished Ians right im going to be gutted when its finished .. seriously though im glad you have it   

Edited by stegrey - 11 Sep 2017 at 11:04pm
*SMG*
Wanted: Paperboy cab,Outrun full size upright
Pcbs: Splatterhouse, WWf the arcade game, Moonwalker
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 12:57pm
So with the metalwork out of the way I can get on with more cleaning! Tongue

Sega cabs are great, they strip down really easily and even the electronic parts come out easily on wooden boards with a few plugs disconnected.  First up the ELEC BD Assembly..

I don’t need to keep the big ISO transformer (top right) as this is only for 100/120VAC areas and there is a 230VAC to 100VAC transformer in the cab already for UK mains (the one that caused the monitor wobble), but I like to keep things as original as possible in a cab.  Check out that spilt pop.. Sick

Everything will be removed and cleaned, including the looms.

BTW the white power outlet is for the network router/switcher that sits behind the pedal box on Japanese cabs.  Thankfully this is the only 'number 2' I found in the cab LOL

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:05pm
Before long it was starting to come back together.  This is when it starts to get interesting as you're putting fleshly cleaned stuff in a freshly cleaned cab!

Henry, always eager to help, sucked up the loose dirt and Tesco anti-bac wipes and Poundland Magic Erasers took care of the rest – at a quid each you don’t need to spend a fortune on cleaning products, believe me – save that money for better things! Big smile

Magic eraser with Isopropyl Alcohol is great for cleaning all plastic parts, worked great to get the black overspray off the connectors.

It was grim in here before I cleaned, but this was a moment when I forgot to take a ‘before’ shot! Embarrassed

Now onto the MAIN BD Assembly..

Cleaned and re-fitted – don’t you just love neat Japanese wiring?  They use nicer cable ties too Wink

Just gotta wait for that nice minty metalwork to arrive now so all my hard work can be hidden! LOL

Edited by Outrun2 - 13 Sep 2017 at 5:05pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:10pm
Good news, good news! (as Rosco P. Coltrane might say!)..

One of the most exciting and eagerly anticipated moments in any cab restorers life..  The return of freshly powder coated metalwork!! Big smile

This lot will take the cab from the lower reaches of division two to the top four in the Premier League..

RAL9005 semi-gloss, rather than matte - Japanese cabs have a different, shinier (nicer) finish than UK cabs.

Next jobs on the list:

1. Refit metalwork
2. Rebuild footplate/pedal box
3. Rebuild seat

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:16pm
great work so far, its going to look new!
*SMG*
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by stegrey stegrey wrote:

Great work Gary :) I see what you meant now about the footplate not being right, Its going to look amazing when finished Ians right im going to be gutted when its finished .. seriously though im glad you have it   

You are taking the restore well mate!
All I'm waiting for is Gary to announce that the cab has disappeared and some cash was left in it's place. Spookily the same amount that he bought the cab for. LOL

Looking good Gary! Clap
How does that semi-gloss finish compare to the powdercoating on the Jp F355 twin mate?

Cheers.
Insert Coin[s]
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm
Wow, it's looking really nice!
Thank you for posting the details about the powder coat.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:34pm
I do love a nice pile of freshly powdercoated bits! This is gonna be minty-mint Cool
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Danscu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danscu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
The powder coating looks amazingClap 

Where do you get it done?
WTB:)
Sega model 2 or 3 sitdown driver base/frame
Electrocoin Goliath Mk 3
Sega Shootout Pool marquee
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
Got it done at a local place I've used before. Used to get it done for cash but they insist on putting it through the books now so have to pay the vat.

This lot cost £80 all in, shot blast and powdered, which is a good price. Most places around here have a minimum charge in the region of £130.

The colour and finish seems a good match with the other Japanese cabs I have, I'll have a proper check when I start rebuilding the cab.
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
Energy levels are a waning a little at the moment, but I'm determined to keep up the momentum!

First up, let's get the pedal tray/foot rest sorted.  Not much to do here, just refit new foam draft excluder strip and rivet the polished up stainless steel foot rest plate back on..

Not the most challenging of jobs so in no time we're ready fit this..

And for once, a decent before/after comparison LOL

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
nintendoid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nintendoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:02pm
great read... looks great :)
terminator2k2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminator2k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:14pm
nice job so far....

that bottom edge looks badly pitted and could of done with a bit more prep work before being powder coated.....

i know you will probably say it will not be seen.....but if like me , you know its there and will drive you mad lol

Edited by terminator2k2 - 18 Sep 2017 at 5:16pm
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:00pm
True it's not perfect, but it was pretty badly rusted/pitted and I don't think any amount of blasting would have cured it.

I'm trying to be a bit less OCD to make sure this resto does actually get done, but yes it will still bug me a little I imagine Geek

Thanks for reminding me!! LOL
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
Footplate.  Let’s NOS this bad boy!!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the rubber matting is long since out of stock at Sega and while similar stuff is available from various sources it is extremely hard to find an exact match with the original stuff.  The stuff used on the Jp cabs super nice; it's got a nice soft rubbery feel, rather than being ‘plasticy’, and it’s also quite shiny and very much smoother than the stuff I’ve sourced online.

Thankfully, my good friend and fellow OCD ‘sufferer’, slowcade somehow sourced an exact replacement while on one of his many trips around the internet and has very kindly sent a piece for me to use on my cab.  Huge thanks buddy! Heart

I also managed to get hold of some NOS stainless steel retaining brackets (still with protective film on), so these parts combined with the freshly powdered metal lid should make for a super sexy footplate assembly!

Cut the matting to shape..

Fit brackets..

Quick before/after shots..

Install in cab..

Slippers only when playing on this cab from now on me thinks!!! LOL

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm

Edited by stegrey - 20 Sep 2017 at 2:53pm
*SMG*
nintendoid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nintendoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:14pm
make people wear these...
looks great work... hope to see it in person one day!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic