Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega Space Trek Board Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennyboy619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega Space Trek Board Repair
    Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:04pm
Hi guys,

I picked up a Space Trek cocktail a while ago with some board issues - see pictures here!

Is there anyone on the forum who can repair it please? I've already asked Phil and Mark (Retro Clinic).

Thank you, Glen
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:49pm
It's a rare bird is Space Trek. I had the upright but couldn't find a PCB set anywhere so converted it to Astro Blaster.
Hell it's the first time I've seen a pic of one.

Any repairer would need to make a custom test harness for that lot, not sure if schematics even exist, I doubt it.

Edited by Equites - 27 Feb 2019 at 11:51pm
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
clarkey View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:40am
Was that the one from Norwich? Very Jealous. Good luck with the repair.
qjuk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:19am
Does Caius repair boards for other people? You could always drop him a message and ask.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:23am
Schematics do exist in the manual, they're very good quality too.

Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

Schematics do exist in the manual, they're very good quality too.

Paul, that's Star Trek, this is Space Trek confusingly.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
ricky2001 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ricky2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:55am
Hi, I could fix that for you if you don't mind to ship to Spain, however the main cause of faillure of that Vic dual boards are the old tri-tension 2708 Eproms, I would sugest you using this eprom eliminator that is selling in Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Gremlin-Space-Trek-plug-play-ROM-replacement-daughter-board-SPACE-TREK-DB/231895890928?hash=item35fe127bf0:g:OEQAAOSwQYZWwQun:rk:2:pf:1
You'll have to ask the seller for the cocktail version because I think roms changes between Upright and cocktail.

This can solve any eprom issue, of course board can have more problems but you remove the main source.

I hope this helps.

Ricky

ricky2001 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricky2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:57am
By the way, do you check that the correct voltages reach the main board?
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by ricky2001 ricky2001 wrote:

Hi, I could fix that for you if you don't mind to ship to Spain, however the main cause of faillure of that Vic dual boards are the old tri-tension 2708 Eproms, I would sugest you using this eprom eliminator that is selling in Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Gremlin-Space-Trek-plug-play-ROM-replacement-daughter-board-SPACE-TREK-DB/231895890928?hash=item35fe127bf0:g:OEQAAOSwQYZWwQun:rk:2:pf:1
You'll have to ask the seller for the cocktail version because I think roms changes between Upright and cocktail.

This can solve any eprom issue, of course board can have more problems but you remove the main source.

I hope this helps.

Ricky

I didn't even know these existed, I suggest the OP tries this first before shipping off for repair.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Glennyboy619 Glennyboy619 wrote:

Hi guys,

I picked up a Space Trek cocktail a while ago with some board issues - see pictures here!

Is there anyone on the forum who can repair it please? I've already asked Phil and Mark (Retro Clinic).

Thank you, Glen

Whereabouts do you live?
You rang......?
Glennyboy619 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennyboy619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 7:09pm
Sorry guys for the delay!!

So this was the reply I got from the eBay seller with the rom replacement board...

so it might fix it it might, as someone pointed out the 2708 PROMS and even worse the PROM sockets can certainly be a problem (the main reason I created this) however just as likely if not more likely is any of the 8 MK4027 RAMS on the main board (assuming this is the normal dual vic main board). and then there's always a small percentage of random other problems.

you'd also have to verify your game PCB is a Z80 based system. I believe this system uses the generic dual vic main board, but I never have seen one myself and from the 3 pictures you posted I only saw the edge of the CPU main board. The main board cannot be a 8080 based system, while the code is the same between 8080 and z80 and from what I understand Sega actually had some games run on both architecture the actual physical connectors are different. This kit ONLY works for the z80

I can test my kit on a generic dual vic game board which is what I use to test my kits before shipping but again I have never seen an actual factor Space Trek system.

That said due to the cost of international shipping there is NO refunds so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.
There are some steps you can do to try to rule out some issues
such as check the voltage, check the CPU clock, check the outputs of the custom chip (youd need an oscilloscope) etc
I have different resources on my resources page

http://www.arcade-cabinets.com/resources.shtml
just search the page for "VIC" or any of the Sega gremlin dual vic games as they are the same board set so most of the repair/troubleshooting is the exact same. except for EPROM signatures etc (as well as sound hardware)
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 8:35pm
I could possibly get one of my single ROM boards to work with this if I can get the memory map

It’ll be nowhere near $60 either...
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 9:53pm
Just had a look in mame - not a bad little game. Hope you get it working!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
Glennyboy619 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennyboy619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
An update!!

After speaking to Brian from the eBay link, I purchased the ROM replacement daughterboard and replacement Ram chips!

http://www.arcade-cabinets.com/board_hacks/VICDUAL-DB/

He was very helpful and sent me a free new CPU too be on the safe side!

I've now got a beautiful fully working cocktail table which cost around £70 to sort!!

Thank you all for your replies and especially ricky2001
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
Ha! was just about to say that looks like a rom or video ram issue as well.  Glad you fixed it so easily.  Rare stuff that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic