ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - should operators be allowed on a collectors forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

should operators be allowed on a collectors forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:16pm
Actually I may slip from the collector (and enjoyer of my collection) into the operator category some day, so I better get back to lurking, but I will say you need lightning fast fingers on page refresh in the sales section because anything nice does NOT hang around long! And if you're on ebay then you need very deep pockets.

Maybe there should be a 'fair chance' section, where you have to anonymously 'express interest' on an item, and the seller can randomly pick a buyer to commit the sale and then get their details and identity. Obviously that's a bit of web coding and not something that would work straight off in a forum, and sellers would have to expressly partake in the mechanism. Sometimes I'de prefer that though, so even I get a chance!
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:30pm
I think most of us can spot flippers from collectors. If ur selling just be careful.

Not good seeing things bought at forum friendly prices to being flipped on ebay a few weeks later. Not on
LewisGamer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:31pm
I think the hobby is in transition. Prices are going nuts. Bargains are harder to find. Some people have more cash to throw around than others. You have to be quick.
Independent games store owner and EX-organizer of Retro Games Night at the Batcave! I now do nothing but weep into my pillow at night... Sometimes I wake up in a pool of sweat, you weren't there man!
2huwman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by griffo83x griffo83x wrote:

Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Of course operators should be allowed on the forum.

why ? maybe we should call it ukvac/o then ?

Because it's a public forum. You don't have to be from the UK either.
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by LewisGamer LewisGamer wrote:

I think the hobby is in transition. Prices are going nuts. Bargains are harder to find. Some people have more cash to throw around than others. You have to be quick.

As a seller, this is good for you

I just wonder where sellers keep getting their cheap stock from? Must be like fossil fuels and running out?
griffo83x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:40pm

Of course operators should be allowed on the forum.

Because it's a public forum. You don't have to be from the UK either.

words fail me!
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
JAG555 View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this rubbish and now another 30 seconds writing this response.

Sorry, but this is a pointless topic........
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
Rule 1. Dont write pmd or ill take that. Get in touch with the sellwr asap. There are no selling rules or pming vals rules on ukvac. Get in first. Make an appropriate offer and hope for the best.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
Breaking pefectly good working cabs for profit
Or getting forum deals and flipping is wrong
I would say no to those kind of ops/people
Just in this for cash
Its hard to poice who is who no stopping
Someone making another account

I can vouch for paul being sound though
He is one of the good guys
Friedgoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friedgoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:52pm
I think operators should totally be allowed on here.. Let me know when you ever want to sell that Pop n Music cab...  or any Bemani cab pls u72 :D
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:01am
I think it helps if people are generally open, honest, transparent. Think that's they key criteria really.
It's only original once.
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 2:07am
Well as an arcade engineer maybe myself and anybody that makes money from arcade machines shouldn't be aloud on here, but I think it would be a sad an lonely place, as without the people doing this for a business there wouldn't be many people with the experience or knowledge to try and help fix these things.
And there wouldn't be a hobby to start with if there wasn't any operators selling out of date gear to the public when it becomes obsolete .
Remember most if not all the old machines that we now collect have been bought and used to make money at some point in there lives, the whole point of arcade machines is to make money.
I myself love trying to keep the old machines running, there more interesting to work on an it makes me smile when I see a family playing on an old game especially when the parents say to there kids 'I used to play on this when I was your age'
Cheers
Ian
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 2:57am
Originally posted by IanH IanH wrote:

there wouldn't be a hobby to start with if there wasn't any operators selling out of date gear to the public when it becomes obsolete

This.

Even 20+ years ago ops were reluctant to sell to some Joe going in and making them a cash offer in case they got any kind of hassle. If you want to see all future cabs that are no longer financially viable to operate go into a fire this could be the way to do it. 

bomjac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:03am
It's a public forum - open to all. If you wish to exclude certain people or factions from an arcade forum then go start your own forum.

The grapes are sour with this one for some reason.
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
if an op wants to sell stuff on here at forum prices I don't see it as a problem,however if they want £2000 for a beat up jamma cab,converted to lcd with 50 buttons and a pandoras box,no collector is going to buy it.,if like u72 they buy cabs,but then they are available for public use,what is peoples problem,please let's not get back to the "hoover" and "media whore" culture!
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:14am
Lock them up! Lock them up!

Yes, we should allow operators as a general rule. No travellers or dogs though. 
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:22am
I’ve often thought sort of “membership” to an “arcade lifestyle” society could be a good idea for at least us lot in Europe.

There would be an open and honest membership policy to exclude rippers and flippers.

One of many advantages could be a “WTB” section, where we load up what cabs, bits etc we are on the lookout for.

Also, a KLOV style DB of cabs, with the history and previous owners (possibly links to renovation blogs etc).

I’ve even thought about a “rescue fund”, where members paid in a fiver or so a month, and the funds used to save some poor gem from Death By HyperSpin...funds would always belong to the members, could be refunded when a cab or whatever got sold.

Ops who are generally supportive of the arcade lifestyle- of course they’d be members; they are part of the ecosystem.

I probably think too much though....the curse of a stressful but boring job!
Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles & handhelds.WANTED - ATARI BREAKOUT RF CAGE!!!
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 9:50am

Just curious, how would you suggest a 'no operator' policy would be implemented and maintained?  

I think in reality there's some understandable irritation from the OP built up over a lost trade (or trades) that's spilt over into this.   I do wonder would the forum really be upset if one of the larger operators decided to sell all their cabs on here - I suspect not.    

I also think for the most part the forum is self regulating.   People will quickly spot scammers or flippers and they are always at liberty to sell to whomever they want once they've put something up for sale.   If you personally would rather not sell something to a known operator - thats your choice.   For the most part the 'operators' of which you speak are well known and do not try to hide.   There will always be one or two unscrupulous people but that's just life.

I think from speaking to a few of them, the larger operators do show *some* restraint on here and try and leave cabs for sale for a while before swooping in to give the collectors a chance.   The days of 'forum prices' are imo largely over, except where people deal with people they already know really well and in real life.  Meets are the place to make and get decent prices on cabs and parts these days. 

Dan

jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

If it wasn't for ops we wouldn't have cabs and boards in our collections. I don't see how you'd stop them or why you'd want to.

this, 

I have no idea why you wouldn't want Operators on this forum? I can only see it might be envy or sour grapes somewhere?
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
richmal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by LewisGamer LewisGamer wrote:

Pretty much as above.
There is a finite pool of retro games/arcade machines/consoles and more and more people are getting into the hobby which is only going to raise prices.

I’m assuming the op is saying that ops are hoovering up everything leaving nothing for us.Thats what i’m taking from this
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic