FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

SLICE - A logic probe on steroids!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by GadgetFreak GadgetFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

Sounds great Aaron. I would be interested to know how it compares to a ABI Boardmaster 4000 for example.

I've never used one, but from what I know it's an active system that actually drives the IC's to test them which I believes needs you to remove clock signals from the circuit under test.

To use SLICE you run the board up as normal and then use it live on the active pcb. It is a purely passive system that monitors the pins providing useful info and checking if the logic is correct. Much like hooking up 24 logic probes at the same time with intelligent analysis to check the IC is working correctly.

It also calculates clock frequencies on any clock pin, propagation delays on inputs to outputs, can read data that is accessed on ROM/PROM/RAM reads/writes and can also calculate HP style signatures on every pin of an IC at the same time. It does not work in real time. It goes through a collection, download & process cycle so the longest continuous data set is 300ms.
It also has a Project mode which allows you to group settings and results into Projects. This makes it easy to make reference projects of working boards which can then be used for comparing with faulty ones.

Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Can I get a cerebral upgrade so I can justify spending £450 :)

I don't like the price point either, I would like it to be cheaper, but the hardware isn't cheap. It's reliable and accurate and allows me to get down to a 5ns sample period.

Sounds great Aaron, definitely interested in this bit of kit.

Thanks for explaining.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:09pm
Added #Update 2 to first post answer a few more questions

Edited by GadgetFreak - 06 Oct 2019 at 2:10pm
Digimon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:40pm
It looks like a great impressive tool.

Absolutly interested!
VectorGlow View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by GadgetFreak GadgetFreak wrote:

Added #Update 2 to first post answer a few more questions

Thanks for the replies.

You state that it's not real time, can you take us through a usage example? Maybe even upload a video? I'm going to assume that you simply plug it into the chip to be tested, power up the board and view the results on the PC software.

For those who wish to place an order:

a) Is the SLICE available now, for example if somebody in the UK was to order one now how long would it take for them to receive it?

b) How many do you have 'in stock' right here and now, or are you awaiting parts?

c) Can we see some photos of exactly what is included in the purchase please?

Thanks!
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:56pm
Does the fact the FPGA handles 5 ns, mean the hardware will theoretically support the 74F series, as well as LS?

GadgetFreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by VectorGlow VectorGlow wrote:

You state that it's not real time, can you take us through a usage example? Maybe even upload a video? I'm going to assume that you simply plug it into the chip to be tested, power up the board and view the results on the PC software.

With a 10ms sample period my fast laptop can achieve around 3 updates per second, but with 300ms sample period it takes around 7 seconds per update.
Originally posted by VectorGlow VectorGlow wrote:

a) Is the SLICE available now, for example if somebody in the UK was to order one now how long would it take for them to receive it?
b) How many do you have 'in stock' right here and now, or are you awaiting parts?
c) Can we see some photos of exactly what is included in the purchase please?

a: 3-4 days
b: I have 10 cable sets made up along with clips and can obtain the FPGA units usually in 24 hours. I also have pcb's and parts to make another 10 cable sets.
c: I will hopefully get a video of Slice in action posted later this week.

Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

Does the fact the FPGA handles 5 ns, mean the hardware will theoretically support the 74F series, as well as LS?

I have used it on boards with some F series TTL with no problems.
VectorGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm
Thanks for the replies, I look forward to see a video of it in use. Thumbs Up
kthemall View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kthemall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
ah ok it´s like a logic comparator. i use the fluke trendar. is also a cool tool, but this one´s better and more flexible.

thx tom

pikadroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikadroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 12:26am
Oh my goodness! I want in! Tongue

Drew

gamefixer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gamefixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 4:39pm
Ijust wanted to pop in and say this thing is fantastic! I've used it three times now and it found the bad IC on two boards relatively quickly. It helps to know which "section" of the board you think might be having problems but it really did help. 

It found a bad LS157 that two of my 3 IC testers said was good. It wasn't.

two thumbs way up for Slice and many thanks to @gadgetfreak for making it. 
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:59pm
Yes and regular updates too with more devices, features added on all the time.  One of the most useful tool in my arsenal.  Especially if you're like me and don't have hours on end scratching your head with a logic probe.   It's like a 24 logic probes and a ttl databook all in one.  I've got such a bad memory these days, I loose count of pins and often have to keep counting legs over and over again let alone remember what each readings were Ouch 

Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 6:14pm
Where's that video then Monstermug? Tongue
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
Oh yeah.  Forgot to upload it. 
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:12pm
I would love to see a vid on this too !!!

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
I'm not good at making videos so don't expect too much.  
gamefixer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gamefixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

Yes and regular updates too with more devices, features added on all the time.  One of the most useful tool in my arsenal.  Especially if you're like me and don't have hours on end scratching your head with a logic probe.   It's like a 24 logic probes and a ttl databook all in one.  I've got such a bad memory these days, I loose count of pins and often have to keep counting legs over and over again let alone remember what each readings were Ouch 

LOL! You must be my twin brother! I do the same things!!! 
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

I'm not good at making videos so don't expect too much.  

Debbie does Dallas was rubbish but we all watched it to the end lol !!

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:46am
Finally had time to upload this video.  Watch it at your peril

Part 1

Part 2
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 1:24am
Part 2 is set to private.
Don't keep us in suspense......
You rang......?
gamefixer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gamefixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 2:55am
waiting on pins and needles! Need to see video #2... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic