Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Star Wars Cockpit Renovation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Wars Cockpit Renovation
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:37pm
Enough of my crazy ramblings after the happy juice about nonsense for the rest of the year, back to the important stuff

Not feeling to good today so unable to do much other than lie down or sit at the computer for a bit, can't stay In bed all day because of back problems so been sorting photo's etc from this project

So can't call this a Restoration, more a Renovation though it's obviously not improving it on how it should be, just from how it was.

While looking for info and pictures to assist me, I've seen far better machines than this, stripped down and the original sides replaced with new wood and repro artwork, which I think is a shame, unless it's this state leave it alone and tidy up edges. It's only original once. Suppose it depends where your putting the machines, if its in your lounge or kitchen, a beat up rotting cab don't look good, not too fused myself though, happy just to have one at all

To expensive to restore, only way this would of been worth doing is if you had all the parts from years back when cheap and even then you would have a very beat up machine, the cabinet alone would need a full restoration, basically you'd be building pretty much a new one apart from the base section (also needing repairs), roof (needs new T-moulding), you have at least the metal parts, so then it wouldn't be original in anyway so you might as well built a new cabinet completely. would sooner leave it as is, I will tidy up areas of it to make it look better eventually

Not to everyone's taste I know and I totally understand why you would want one of these running Original Hardware, after watching some videos of good players on an original machine, the game is pretty awesome and nothing replaces VectorSmile all my machines are original boards apart from the twin PC driving machine and now this

Seen a few other machines running on emulation, Found Bruno's thread of fitting PC in his cab, AW sold an Upright years back with PC inside and there are others out there, I bet also they are all in far better condition Cabs than this, so I don't feel too guilty beings this had been stripped out to a point you need the insides of a complete machine to restore it. The cab has been so hacked up and needs new sections of wood everywhere so Emulation is the route I'm takingEmbarrassed

Really know how to get myself in a mess, After selling 2 of the 4 Jamma cabs I had to create space for the ones I have already own, wasn't going to buy any more machines, no more at all but typical as soon as I sell some really cool ones appear on ebay.

First was After Burner sitdown, hadn't got space but I still bid, luckily didn't win it, Then not long After this sitdown After BurnerErmm... Star Wars comes up. I commented, Perfect I was after a After Burner Sitdown, just need to make it move, joking of course.

Trouble is then, you put it in your watch list just to see what price it will end at, then I keep looking at it, thinking about what you could do with it. Have quite a few Sitdown machines, think there really cool, all but one are Driving games and I've panned for a while it would be ace to have an Analogue setup on a machine to play Space/Flight games.

One of the things that did put you off is the cost of getting Control Panel and Yoke, Plastic monitor surround and Marquee, they dont come up often now and not cheap if they do. Other Star Wars Cockpit cabs that were converted years ago at least still had CP and Plastic surround but often some rubbish driving game. only advantage of this was the Afterburner complete, working apart from missing buttons on control handle. I have Upright AB also so useful as not sure the Throttle working on it.

Early days of PC gaming for me was Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 3D and Lucas-Arts Star Wars X-Wing and Tie Fighter before seeing the awesome Alone In The Dark and AITD2 which I played till completed. The Tie Figher and X-Wing games I probably would of played more if you have a proper setup with Flight Joystick, be nice to play again and good cab to do that in, then find measuring up the SW Cockpit from the flyers to see how big these are, yeah it's only size of 2 Electrocoin jamma cabs and ive just sold 2Approve wasn't really what I should of been thinking, should of been I've just made that space to get the machines I have already sorted

I don't plan to much to early when it comes to things on ebay because you never know if it will be removed or maybe end at £1000 so wait till nearer the time.  Day it's ending, I'm watching it count down, no I'm not gonna bid, just watching then I find myself entering bid amount and hover over the mouse, all rational thoughts gone as it's still cheapish and I bid, half hoping I get outbid but no, I've win it...What have I done now, oh well too late, will have to tell the missus, so I use her love of Sci-Fi to break the news, you know how you like Sci-Fi, well I bought something for USLOL. Though most times she will be happy that we are going some where and 1st question is, does it mean McDonalds, as we always have breakfast in them when picking things up, sadly this time no, as it's not that far.

The ebay photo's showed the cab in a van, thought I'd ask if it's still in there and could he drop off to me for a price, he agreed which saved me hassle hiring vans, he was passing one night the next week so dropped off only it was quite late, dark and trying to rain by time he arrived, didn't want him to mess about so I said I'd move it in myself not knowing it would be quite so heavy, all the other sitdown cabs are plywood and for a reason, they are much lighter, this is near 200kg, ok there on wheels but it wouldn't move on my road as that was very poor at the time, plus my drive is all uneven so I struggled like hell with it, someone nailed on alloy strips under bottom sides, that was catching on the road and bottom of cab is dragging on floor, bits of it getting ripped off, I thought what have I done again. cab has damaged areas all over the place. Managed to drag it in, then move a few things about to get it where I need it. Oh well too late to worry, needed to get a plan of action on what to do with it.

I posted some wanted ads for Control Panel, was surprised when I got a response nearly straight away, good old backflipper to the rescue. Just like the cab the CP was from another one that had been converted and came with Joystick and buttons, kind of perfect for this cab so I snapped that up from him, he also had a nice yoke too but I wanted to keep the cost down so kindly declined as I'd already another plan for that. No luck with the Plastic surround though, kept posting wanted ads every little while, then missed one offered for sale here, shame people dont see the wanted ads always but they soon get onto page 2 or 3,

So where do you start on it.

Had to be painted sides really and outrun Artwork removal. It was being used as an outrun after Star Wars hence the artwork, has original metal plate from Outrun Sitdown cabs where original pedals fitted. Painted Blue for Outrun, then painted black when Afterburner installed It does make you wonder where machines like this are found, I asked the seller when he dropped it off, basically he imports coin up stuff from USA, if container not full they take some video games, he got told they have a Star Wars machine so he agreed on $900 for it, hadn't seen any pictures so got a bit of a shock when this arrived, shipping on top also so he made a loss on this he said, makes you wonder what it would fetch now, Risk you take on ebay though,  Before stripping the afterburner out, I did have a mess about with it, was playable once I sorted handle out, but no sound. don't know what ape installed it all, but it was dangerous, the controller that weighs a lot held on with a couple of wood screws and 1 latch, the wiring was such a state, things nearly shorting out, the controller wasn't fixed in, so move the handle up all way the mech was loose and moved about too nearly shorting things out

If it was in an arcade like this then the owner should of been sued, it was so bad. Strangely, Afterburner in this was pretty cool to play specially with 26" monitor, to be honest I would sooner play it in this if was done properly than on the upright original cab.

Had a go at getting the paint off as it was but would take you months, so at weekend I went screwfix for no nonsense paint remover £4.99 500ml bottle, pays to look around though as Wilko has same stuff at only £3.49 did the job perfect and only used half a bottle on both sides. put it on, left for 10mins scrape it straight off, then used aldi cleaner to clean off the rest of paint stripper and paint remains just wipes off specially on the inserts of roof sides.

Wondering how bad the artwork would be under it, that's if it had any so was desperate to see what it looks like, But before I started on that I wanted to see what the machine had left in it that was original, there is that little bit of hope that they may have left some original bits inside maybe, under the seat? nope nothing

So what is left, basically The speakers and most of the wire to the front of cab for them, has original vents, metal marquee and roof retainers, remains of Service Panel, rear Marquee light, that's it. Check out the roof panels, that's a mix of one original top piece well scratched, rest is any old bits of plastic, so I had my fingers crossed for the Marque under the black paint, so started cleaning the paint offCry no luck though, original Glass Marquee long gone, but I did get a surprising shockBig smile

So these were the Ebay Photo's in back of Van

So I had to see what was under this black paint on the Marquee, I could of just removed to look at the back it but thought I'd use some paint stripper and see whats under there

Ermm Citroen.. whatConfused 

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:58pm

Started on the other side to see if It was what I thought, well it was outrun before Afterburner

I've had whole Bootleg Outrun Control Panels, exact copy of Sega Wheel, Mech and Shifter even down to the centre badge, they never say Sega though, otherwise you wouldn't of known, but don't think I've seen a Bootleg Marquee

Being an Outrun fan, this was a nice bonusSmile though I'd sooner the left car have been a Honda than Citroen, odd choice of car though, wonder where the marquee was made

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
wim outrun repro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:02pm
Thats a cool find, of a rare outrun style marquee.
Cheers wim outrun
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:11pm
lol is that a French OR boot, I wonder.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:15pm
Absolutely love that Outrun Marquee
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:48pm
Certainly different isn't it Smile makes you wonder where some of these bootlegs were made, you would assume china these days but back then it's seems pretty much anywere

Ok so it wasn't the original but cool none the less, then it was time to get more of the artwork off, I really wish the seller hadn't started, though it's hard to say if he made any areas worse or not

For some reason they liked to put Aluminium everywhere, not the best for the floor, also the original covers were the wood sides join replaced with thin alloy, so something else missing, should be able to make some though

First side done, it's better than it could of been, few area's where the paint just pulled off the artwork, didn't seem to matter what I did, maybe those area's were damaged a bit before being painted and the paint stuck to it more, not sure the artwork helped either, waste of Outrun side Art though

2nd side I didn't do for a while later but we'll get that out way now, keep noticing different things missing before I've got to them, it's like a movie with bad continuityEmbarrassed

Took ages to get the artwork off, didn't want it to pull the paint off and Star Wars art with it, some parts nothing you did stopped it, you could be peeling it away nicely and then a big area would come off easy with paint stuck to it and art, frustrating really

Most of the bad areas are nearer the bottom, at least it looks like a Star Wars now, would of been sad if no artwork at all so can't complain, the bottom edge this side has some quite bad damage, not helped buy the Aluminium they had screwed to the bottom again, then because of other problems which are common it seems, that has got caught on the floor and pulled off chunks of the chipboard
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:00pm
Great result managing to keep that much of the original art!
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm
It's pretty good really isn't it. by time I've repaired all the edges and painter the border black, that will tidy it up a lot more

The roof panels, only one original which is scratched and marked, also was fitted wrong way and on top of the wood that's there for the metal to go onto, the big holes should be the other end and also a chunk missing out of it

The rest of the panels are a random strip of tinted and then some really thick sheet painted black with some metal to cover the gap

So I cleaned off some of the paint from this roof panel to see whats underneath

Monitor Perspex sheet from Sprint 2 cab

So needs new set of roof panels making
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:50pm
The Op certainly raided the scrap cab parts bin to make this monster!

Great job on what you've done so far, I remember when this was came up for sale, good luck with the rest of it.

jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
- Atari Return of the Jedi upright cabinet.
- Atari Pole Position PCB's.
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:58pm
Was trying to work out what was going on with the seat, didn't seem right, after looking at other cab pics I realised it was the wrong angle

Another alteration from outrun days probably along with the outrun sitdown pedal fixing plate so that was more work replacing the wood after being removed

This Aluminium floor stuff has to go also

Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:28pm
So now I'd got a Control Panel I could make a start on making it look like a Star Wars again

My plan for the Controller yoke was to convert this rather tired Road Blasters I bought many years ago in the early days of collecting, came with the control panel, the encoder pcb was missing but seller never said, should have curved bar at bottom which is missing, thumb buttons replaced with these switches, so half the work is already done, would save me a fortune to use this. I have a Road Blasters machine anyway so not needed. 

clarkey View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:30pm
Fantastic job cleaning up the art, impressed it had survived as well as it had.

Also that Outrun marque with the Citroen is fantastic
Wurstkopp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurstkopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:23pm
Fantastic job, dude! Subscribed. Smile
Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong, Galaga 88, Centipede cabaret, SNK MVS-U4, Taito MT-8
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:40am
your starting to see the rewards of all your hard work,well doneClap
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:28am
Chris, do you know the Alan-1 repro Yoke has been reduced to 350 USD?

All aluminium gears. Great price if your budget will stretch to it.

https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/

Edited by iamjimmi - 01 Jul 2019 at 8:28am
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:48am
Cheers GuysSmile

It's been quite a lot of work, as usual it's needed far more work on the cab than I thought and that's without repairing the damaged areas. getting the paint off did take quite a while, worn my nails down about 4 times and waited for them to grow back to carry onLOL I don't find much else works to replace your thumb nail to remove paint, labels etc though I did end up using a plastic scrapper that comes with 151 bottle of label remover stuff, used that on 2nd side more to get it done quicker

The paint stripper softens the paint nicely and then it comes of quite easy, not worth struggling without, some areas it did come off without but not much, some areas the paint has affected the artwork and if not carful it would just scrape the artwork off

So after I got the the Control Panel, I thought that's it, lets get this afterburner stuff out, see what's left to work with, the 26" monitor was bodged in with 2 big bits of wood with huge screws through sides of the cab, so more extra holes now, don't understand why they couldn't use original monitor brackets, that's something else missing too if you were trying to restore properly

The wood with mains filter, switcher and transformer on was held to top of coin box with 1 small bolt and loose, mains wires nearly touching earth straps, difficult to see how bad it was in photo's

Lovely cardboard painted black for the monitor shroudTongue

The controller being so loose has hit on the heatsink and damaged one of the pcb's that was right behind it, everything was just thrown in any how, wires going everywhere as you'll see, not good at all

So no good news with the control panel off, not much left at all of the wood that should be there for the star wars CP to bolt too, side supports cut off, only part left is the wood for the glass behind the plastic surround. so more work replacing all these parts.

Just for comparison this is what they should look like

Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:57am
The Coin door was lower one with arcade button, so needs replacing and lower cash door was lock, tried all the keys I have but not one worked, so drilled the lock

keep hoping I'll find something good in the cab, so far just a few USA coins and tokens, so what will we find behind the cash door

Just a book and a soppy one at thatDead  you can see all the brass lever remains on the floor, easy to get these locks as the levers are soft, usually I look at ways to get on back of lock to undo but box on back stops you

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:01am
It's really interesting to see what you're uncovering. This is arcade archaeology!
It's astounding the lengths someone has gone to in the conversion

Great job on exposing the original artwork, who knew that was under there
That bootleg OutRun marquee is great!

Will be following tis with interest......
Chopper79 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
All these sweet cabs, bods has been holding out on us! Anyone fancy a raid? ??
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

All these sweet cabs, bods has been holding out on us! Anyone fancy a raid? ??

To be honest I could raid myself, hmm that don't sound right does itLOL

When I'm looking for stuff, I open boxes etc and find things I don't even remember buying or totally forgot about so it's like being at a arcade boot sale

Just put the Pop Up Market Stall Tent in garden so I can move some stuff out and wont matter if it rains a bit, need to look for some bit also and get after burner machine near front door, .

This was one of the problems when I took out all the after burner parts from this, I'm like where do I put all this stuff till after burner machine sorted out, so 26" monitor, big control panel, boards and psu, it's just another huge pile of parts taking up space

Need to put these shark heads somewhere, was thinking on front of the building with lights in the mouth as fixing already for them, need to see if they would be ok outside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic