ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Star Wars Cockpit Renovation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:24pm
With the Control Panel I thought I would start to try fitting it in place. no wood where the CP should go it was all a bit guess work, really could of done with the Plastic Surround

The side parts of the wood had been cut off at bottom, really it needs the side supports remaking completely but for now I've added to what's there, it has a gap where it fixes to sides of cab so the Plastic Surround has space to slot in

The lower glass support was there still, CP support I had to cut out some plywood to replace what's missing. other problem is I don't know if the lower wood is in the right place, it could of been adjusted for them to fit the pedals for outrun, quite a few areas of it have screws when the should be stapled in place, so it's all a bit of a mess. I was going to leave the hole in the lower part, later I decided to cut some new wood out for it.

Pretty much everything used on the machine is from other stuff scrapped, old parts, nice to reuse old wood, saves money to. No idea if it's in right place, had to wait till Plastic part found to buy

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:29am
While I was waiting to get a monitor sorted and the Plastic Surround I started investigating why it's so low to the floor which was making it a nightmare to move about to work on

It seems most suffer from this same issue, Bruno's machine was literally on the floor because someone thought they would solve the issue by removing the wheelsConfused 

Only ones that probably haven't had issue are ones not been used much. this is where I find machines in USA aren't built that well, you don't get this problem with any Japan built machines, they are still as solid as the day there made. The Japanese should be very proud of quality products they made. Looking at my Double Dragon machine yesterday, the insides of the cab don't have Vinyl covering, it's just chipboard painted black which is worn off a bit so you can see the chipboard, Electrocoin machines are built pretty well too

So I took the seat back out and cleaned behind that, then took off the lower back panel under the marquee, with the coin door in the way it seem the bottom of the left side Outrun artwork was cut off and stuck on the rear of cab

Nice to get the insides clean as well

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:42am
So basically the wood starts coming away because they are only nailed together. Really with the hole weight of the machine and the person sitting inside it, if I was building it, there wouldn't have been small blocks of wood along the edge to hold the base section on and then another block to hold the seat up

Why not have one piece of chipboard from the base to the seat, then the seat nor base would ever have come loose, that's how I would of built it. the wood has then bent upwards from all the years of use.

nice mess inside the tunnel where the cables go, few more coins but nothing special

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:07am

So at this point I had to think about how to get the wood back where it should be, it is bowed now so not going to go bad easy

The only thing you have above it is the seat, so it's either something to push it down or remove seat and put some really heavy items on the base. after thinking more, I remembered something we did in woodwork at school, shame I can't show my old teachers some of this I do, be nice for them to see they didn't waste their time with me, I did learn as well as messing about

So one thing we did in woodwork was steaming wood and bending it, so out comes the bosch wallpaper stripper, steamed the wood while using both trolley jacks to slowly push it down so I could get some screws in, that wolf right angle screwdriver adaptor don't half come in handy too and the impact driver

Get that Alloy metal off the bottom, few bits of T-Mould with it

Wheels cleaned up and bolted back on

They are quite low to the floor anyway so with back dropped it was pretty much on the floor, no wonder I had such a nightmare getting it in my extension, made things easy now. Why you would just take the wheels off completely, but other cabs I've seen the wood just the same, the front was even starting to separate and that's without persons weight.

Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:18am
Nice work.. I'd personally open up a Valuations thread on "Brides of Durango".

What a find
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:14am
Something different to value I supposeLOL

I did look on ebay if it was worth anything, sadly not but you have to checkSmile

So nothing interesting in the machine really

Gotta say I have been quite lucky since buying the cab, everything I've needed or thought I could do with has just happened to come up for sale on ebay and members here like the CP. I do have a 20" VGA Monitor, it's Hantarex but it's not working, sounds quite serious last time I tried it, also have a 14" hantarex like for Amiga Computer which is also bad and no info on that

So just when I need one, thought VGA would be easier specially if I play some PC games in it also and this Japan Toei one from a Sega machine came up on ebay, I thought I'd paid £50 for it but just looked and it was £20, had a trip over to Herefordshire to get it though so ended up costing about £50 with the fuelLOL probably why I thought that. came in original box but not worth risking monitor in post even in box, Seller said it was untested so you never know

Connected up to my PC at work bench and working, so nice honest ebayer, it did have some issues, made some horrible screeching noise till it's warmed up, brightness seemed to alter also but good start

Has remote board for controls too which is always niceSmile

26" Monitor would be nice but this will do but now need something to fix it in the cab with, the one that came out screwed in with wood, don't get why they didn't use original brackets, wanted to myself so had a look in my pile of metal from old machines and other things, found these monitor bracketsSmile I think they were from the 1st rail chase machine I bought which was a bit of a wreck, cab damaged in transit, air tank had hole in it, no back doors and other things but nice to have spares for the nice one I got. Bit too so I cut them down, cut middle part out to get them to correct height for this monitor, then use that part to rejoin them, drill holes and tap threads into the joiner, saves messing with nuts as well, I couldn't find the right length allen key bolts I'd bought at the time but I've swapped them now

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:39am
Had to do quite a lot of searching on the net for other cab pics to get all these parts done, I had no original parts much to work out where things really need to be, so lots of guess work, studying pics to position things

The monitor brackets must be something similar in size now to the original ones, I've used the original holes to bolt them in place, middle through the join plate so plenty strong enough

Monitor fits nice and looks pretty much centred when your sat inside . It's a good job I keep all these old parts, would be twice as much work if you haven't got this stuff or you would have to bodge it in like it was before, plus it's using the parts up which gets me more space backThumbs Up

Couldn't resist testing it out on the game that should be on the screen, so got a few leads and connected to the PC again.

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:12am
Nice to see it on the screen but still lots to do before it's playable

Was also working on Monkey Vending machine while doing this along with other non arcade projects, so many things to do. Had to buy some Polycarbonate for the Monkey, so same time I bought some tinted bits for roof panels, rear marquee and the monitor.

Found someone selling original monitor glass on ebay in US and they had kindly put the thickness and sizes, I measured up my wood frame and pretty much same size so got that as well, wasn't sure what Tint to get so I got light grey and dark grey, fitted the light grey to start with to see how that looks

Don't know why I have so many problems buying or getting things done in Leicester, I cannot seem to find anywhere that does jobs or sells stuff and can manage it without issues or can supply it. I tried another place for Perspex before, asked for it cut to size, was for Double Dragon 2 cab, they had cut it slightly over so it wouldn't fit, I had to trim it down then which is hard to do.

did get some from another closer place once and they were fine, bit slow sorting it out but no issues, this time I use a place that I'm sure I went to previously as they were near my parents but now moved closer, spent £160 with them, picked it all up which is why wanted local place, guy helped load in car, I unloaded it but didn't look at it all, when I start using it, the amount of scratches in the protective layer, I meant to send them a complaint but so busy I totally forgot about it, worst place I've used AGAIN and it's Leicester, it wasn't just the protective plastic on top that was scratched when I peeled some off either, scratches and marks in the polycarbonate too, I took photo's of it all and should of left a review

The Powder coaters I am not using again, used them loads, used to be really good, good prices, not I get crap jobs done and prices seem expensive now, last 2 lots of stuff there are areas with no paint, not enough or like the Op Wolf gun parts, they put far too much paint on them, I couldn't assemble the damn thing.

So fed up of local companies. I've used Trent Plastics quite a few times for Perspex stuff, never had an issue and that's shipped from up north too.  I bought some O-rings for radio control cars in garden from local place, just go on steering to drive the pot, few months after I fitted them we tried to use them, they wouldn't steer again, took the wheel out, the new O-Rings had fell to bits, useless In Leicester for anything. I can never buy half the stuff I want, often simple stuff that I can find on ebay in seconds, local no chance

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself. I had a few things I'm working on, Want to make a roof for my Patio so I can work outside any weather, can take photo's if it's raining, local Aluminium supplier so I could get it from there to make frame, they also do bespoke work, so thought I'd email and ask about a sign I need a back making for, also prices on alloy, The can't even be bothered to reply, thought it's easier to email as you can put all details down, but nothing, I'm looking at spending Hundreds with them. Used to try and buy local keep places open but give up now

Next thing on my list is getting Sandblasting setup sorted so I can do that myself, got spray guns so I'll paint the things myself

Was desperate to start another part of this other month and couldn't get some basic items local, ok some of the bits were USA thead UNC bolts I think, no where local, ebay no issue, I don't plan ahead for when I've got one thing done, so you would have what you need for the next part but will do nowAngry gets me so annoyed around here

So fitted the Sheet of Light Grey Tint

stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
I bet that's the first time star wars has been fired up in that cab for decades
====WANTED====
LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S BALLY PINBALL PROJECT
Richard May View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Don't know why I have so many problems buying or getting things done in Leicester, I cannot seem to find anywhere that does jobs or sells stuff and can manage it without issues or can supply it. I tried another place for Perspex before, asked for it cut to size, was for Double Dragon 2 cab, they had cut it slightly over so it wouldn't fit, I had to trim it down then which is hard to do.

did get some from another closer place once and they were fine, bit slow sorting it out but no issues, this time I use a place that I'm sure I went to previously as they were near my parents but now moved closer, spent £160 with them, picked it all up which is why wanted local place, guy helped load in car, I unloaded it but didn't look at it all, when I start using it, the amount of scratches in the protective layer, I meant to send them a complaint but so busy I totally forgot about it, worst place I've used AGAIN and it's Leicester, it wasn't just the protective plastic on top that was scratched when I peeled some off either, scratches and marks in the polycarbonate too, I took photo's of it all and should of left a review

The Powder coaters I am not using again, used them loads, used to be really good, good prices, not I get crap jobs done and prices seem expensive now, last 2 lots of stuff there are areas with no paint, not enough or like the Op Wolf gun parts, they put far too much paint on them, I couldn't assemble the damn thing.

So fed up of local companies. I've used Trent Plastics quite a few times for Perspex stuff, never had an issue and that's shipped from up north too.  I bought some O-rings for radio control cars in garden from local place, just go on steering to drive the pot, few months after I fitted them we tried to use them, they wouldn't steer again, took the wheel out, the new O-Rings had fell to bits, useless In Leicester for anything. I can never buy half the stuff I want, often simple stuff that I can find on ebay in seconds, local no chance

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself.

Broken Britain mate, not just Leicester. It's across the board, whatever you're having done, whatever it's for, whenever you need it for. I genuinely love the half-there artwork on your Star Wars. You're literally looking back through time with stuff like this, like rings on a tree stump.

Edited by kidyamlo - 03 Jul 2019 at 8:44am
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
Very good job with the steamer (was Brides of Durango not steamy enough?)

I had to straighten a plywood laser disc player drawer on a Dragon's Lair years ago. Poured boiling water over it and clamped it several times and it straightened it just great!

From exposing the artwork, to offering up the CP and playing the game blind it really is starting to be reverted to its former glory
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by namfreak namfreak wrote:

Very good job with the steamer (was Brides of Durango not steamy enough?)

I had to straighten a plywood laser disc player drawer on a Dragon's Lair years ago. Poured boiling water over it and clamped it several times and it straightened it just great!

From exposing the artwork, to offering up the CP and playing the game blind it really is starting to be reverted to its former glory

I don't know I haven't finished reading it yet     bloody rubbish, glad the other half not into that stuff either

Just couldn't help getting Star Wars on the screen. It must of been a long time since it ran like you say, would love to know what year it was converted to outrun, going to have been after 1986, we can be sure on that

Makes you wonder why they would have all these outrun parts really to put in the cab, you would have to of put it in fairly soon after it was out, can't imagine it was worth it after turbo outrun as lots got converted to that, pedals must of been from sitdown, unless they got more bootleg parts like I had, wish I'd kept all the bootleg outrun Control panel now, same wheel and badge, put it with the Marquee now too

Wish I could find pictures of it in arcade with outrun or when changed to after burner, oh that's a point, if they changed to after burner, was that because outrun had board issue or just wanted later game in there but that's 1987 so who knows, so yeah could be 30 years or more since last ran Star Wars
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by kidyamlo kidyamlo wrote:

Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself.

Broken Britain mate, not just Leicester. It's across the board, whatever you're having done, whatever it's for, whenever you need it for. I genuinely love the half-there artwork on your Star Wars. You're literally looking back through time with stuff like this, like rings on a tree stump.

Your probably right, just never found Leicester any good for buying things even, always have to go to Birmingham, amazing really places are so bad, when you look at what members here have done over the years, some really quality work going on, but ask professional place to do the work and it's half arsed. Mind you in my job, over the 25 years I've only worked with a few that are capable of doing the job their paid at, one guy in Stoke is just the best, only guy I've met that does a proper job and if I started my own business he would be someone I'd ask to be a partner

Enough of the moaning anyway

I bought a Marquee from USA, bought it quite early and just before Muddy bought the printer for direct to plastic, oh well one of those things

Edited by Bods - 03 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:24am

It's not bad at all, thin plastic so sandwiched between 2 bits of polycarbonate I had cut to size. has nice glossy finish so don't look bad, should of took picture without the old bit of Perspex over it. As this is the USA Cockpit they have rear printed glass, so wanted the same look, not bad lit up

The Colours are right it's just the photo with this Camera, this one looks better

I have scanned the Marquee I have and send to Muddy, hopefully he can clean it up and print one on thicker 5mm sheet so it's more solid and should look amazing then 

Below for Comparison. Was trying to find picture of original lit up but not found any yet but this was original machine someone else restoring

Edited by Bods - 03 Jul 2019 at 11:27am
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:58pm
You are doing an AMAZING JOB on this!!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 5:48pm
Cheers Ol Smile

I was a bit unsure about posting the work on it, I know it's one of the Grail cabs for a quite a few so understand if real fans don't approve, then I've seen quite a few others that have been done, some probably temporally till parts got together and some in pretty clean condition

If this had been in decent condition and just missing the boards and monitor I would of wanted it restored properly, then again I doubt I would of bid due to costs of parts and fixing them, certainly wouldn't want to mame a nice one

Was certainly happy when this big box arrived from USA Big smile  The last piece of the puzzle

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:53pm
Took me a while to get one, didn't really want to pay big money but you don't have much of a choice for one, but as another member here pointed out, he felt lucky to get one at all, fair comment and good way to look at it, so far I hadn't spent too much so made an offer on one in USA which they accepted and arrived well packed and as described, not perfect but good enough for this machine

big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:58pm
Nice. It's all coming together! Thumbs Up
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:10pm
End of the day, I can't finish the cosmetics of the cab until I got the surround. now I have this I got the control panel fixing cut out for the controller

The wood isn't quite as thick as the original so I strengthened it up with more on the back at top, also realised there were 2 small blocks of wood missing at the top each side to support the surround, has a thinner bit of wood at the back of them so there is a gap for edge of plastic to slot in

So test fit the Surround, wasn't bad fit considering had not original parts to go on, just from pics of others. It wasn't perfect as the control panel was catching on the plastic at the very bottom, that was then pushing the left side top away from the side

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm

Can't seem to find any photo's but I ended up cutting out two new pieces of wood under the control panel. the ones there had the big hole for the pedals, originally I was thinking about adding a pedal back again like the Zac Buck Rogers but had new plan when some other controllers came up. So with the new wood, some old bits with vinyl covering already, not perfect match but you can't see it under the CP

Now I can get that at correct angle so the control panel sat on the Plastic surround properly. By time I got the Surround, I also had won an original Yoke for cheapish price, though the condition it was in I really paid too much, the cover on it is another I bought with original artowork as the cover that was on it was so bad, bent to hell

So at least it's looking complete nowSmile

Edited by Bods - 03 Jul 2019 at 11:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic