ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Star Wars Upright...would you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Wars Upright...would you?
    Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:34pm
I just happened to be talking to my pinball mate about the Tempest current up for grabs, as even though it's not a grail cab - it is an iconic cab/game.

He then tells me of someone he knows with a working Star Wars upright for sale - with manual and all.

Like busses - wait ages, then this happens.

2 Atari colour vector games, both jaw droppingly desirable for an Atari nut like me.

I'm probably guessing most on here would say "stuff the Tempest, buy the SW".

Except for me - the grail is a full sit down SW......

Advice please before I do something stupid, end up divorced etc.....

Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles & handhelds.WANTED - ATARI BREAKOUT RF CAGE!!!
Nilyash View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilyash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:19pm
Take the star wars :-)
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:27pm
Take both
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

TWB View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Take both

This, you’ll only regret it if you don’t.
WANTED
Cabs:
Leisure 2000
PCBs: Starforce | Ms Pacman
Parts:
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm
Buy both, sell the UR Starwars if and when a cockpit turns up.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:42pm
Would the starwars not be near twice the price ?
Depends how deep your pockets are
I personally think tempest is a stunning looking cab and would go for it ,unless they are the same price
iamjimmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by TWB TWB wrote:

Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Take both

This, you’ll only regret it if you don’t.

Another vote for both!

If you regret not buying one, then not a whole lot you can do but weep.

If you regret buying both, you will have no problem getting you money back.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:07pm
The SW is cheaper than the Tempest, although the seller of the Tempest is someone here, I know where it came from etc (although it doesn't have the low stress conversion, but hey).

Yeah, I was thinking "the both" as well. Faaaark.

As the old saying goes, so little money + space - so many cabs....

My pinball mate is putting in for planning permission for a garden extension that'll help a bit....but it's not "now"....and believe it or not, even though he's a child of the late 60s he never saw Tempest nor SW!

Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles & handhelds.WANTED - ATARI BREAKOUT RF CAGE!!!
patloz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:17pm
If you have a working SW available for less than the £1500 the Tempest is up for sale on here you should buy it even if you don't like it ,there is no money to be lost on that cab at that price.

Cockpit prices are crazy, when the USA are asking $5000 + its going to be eye watering over here.
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:44pm
Star Wars whilst an amazing cab is a boring game.

Tempest is a much better game with amazing depth.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
giantkeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:45pm
Get them both, they're stunning cabs in every way. Star Wars sounds like a bargain, mine was £2500.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:00pm
Equites - exactly!

SW was an attention grabber, but I put a hell of a lot more 2 bob bits into Tempest. 

They both have appeal, but for different reasons.

SW, when you're in the mood for a quick "f**k you" game. 
Tempest when you've a need for real arcade gaming.

2 different things. Not mutually exclusive.
SW and ESB were ferkin brill when they came out - but they were Atari doing the very smart move of trying to make business out of "convergence". We all know how ET worked out....

I can seriously see me and my mate opening a pinball/VAC/beer emporium...it's the only way we can avoid being hung/drawn/quartered by our significant others....
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:28pm
the cockpit SW is up there with an R360 (ok, a bit higher in the possibility side, but not that much).

It's not that I don't like a stand-up SW. Of course I do! The probability of me parting with a stand-up SW is the square root of minus one, unless a sit-down came along (and I magically had the space...).

patloz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:41pm
I love the cockpit also, although having played the upright and cockpit at Arcade Club i find the upright easier to get a better score on, the cockpit is better for atmosphere but now i'm an adult (alledgedly) it's harder to cram myself in the cockpit, and my knees get in the way of the flight yoke!
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:42pm
Cheers Pat, a nice reminder that I need to put my lottery ticket on :)

backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:43pm
Simple buy the SW UR and then trade it for a cockpit later.

Red 5 standing by.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:23pm
So, pretty much nobody goes for the Tempest (exceptions noted).

I think in terms of “wow” factor, the SW would win.
I’d definitely play the Tempest more tho, and tbh I don’t have the space for wall-flowers.
No idea what the kids would think though...that’s the tricky part.

Spoken to Mike about the Tempest.

To be continued

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:30pm
I bought a Tempest recently, and i adore it. Great game, and the cab is quite possibly the best design from back in the golden age. Stunning. I think the only thing that lets it down is the sound effects, which are a bit mundane.
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:09am
I'd be going for the Tempest.

Never saw it back in the day. But really fancied an Atari colour vector and ended up with Tempest without ever having played a credit on the game before. Clever game. And very arcade. Top shooter too. Love the red screens in particular - the whole play to the beat thing .... puts me in 'the zone'. 

Star Wars? Meh ... 
It's only original once.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic