Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Taito Field Goal Colour Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taito Field Goal Colour Issues
    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:49pm
I've finally got round to looking at my Taito Field Goal Cocktail I picked up last summer. Initial switch on over 8 months ago had something on the screen but it quickly shrunk down to nothing. Everything was removed for testing at a later date.
That later date was yesterday when I put it all back together again and tested again. This time the picture was solid. However I had no colours. The background should be green and the helmets different colours.

I played a few games thinking maybe I had a black and white monitor fitted but mid way through the game the white turned green. Then a short time later it turned blue. These colour changes happen at the same time as the player runs on the field from the left or right.

My question is, is this a monitor issue or a game board issue. My gut says PCB but it is very strange that it draws everything in white. It is this how the cocktail should play?

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

JT

Edited by JonTron - 13 Mar 2019 at 6:51pm
JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 6:53pm
Also here's a link to a short video of it doing this.
https://twitter.com/JonTurner82/status/1105445242722050048?
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:02pm
I've only ever seen colour Field Goals - is this the one Smarty used to own? If it is, it is definitely colour (I've played it)
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:11pm
No I don't think it has been owned by anyone other than the person I got it from.
It was a free pickup from a retiring Army Officer at a local barracks. He was moving out of his accomodation and this had sat in his garage for a long time apparently. I messaged within 6 mins of the post going on Facebook....

Only ever seen colour versions too.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:04pm
Try reseating the proms and cleaning the pins if they need it. Prom legs usually tarnish/corrode really bad, so be VERY careful as they aren't cheap or easy to replace.

JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:22pm
Ok, will do. The screen has gone blank again after about an hour of play today so I'll recap the chassis and try reseating the PROMs. They were warm to touch though. Although all the same if you know what I mean.
JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:19pm
Turned up the colours on the monitor chassis. Screen is green but with no sprites or details on screen. Game plays blind.

Removed the PROMs for cleaning. They were dirty but the legs were solid. In the picture the chip on the right is before, the other 3 are after cleaning with a small file.

Removed the boards for a closer look. The underside board looks factory fresh. Top board could do with a clean.

Any ideas where to focus efforts next?
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 9:44pm
It's starting to sound like a monitor issue.
JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 5:35pm
Yes, I think you are right. Need to get the monitor looked at 1st. At least I know it has HV.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic