Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

The Definitive History of Sega World London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Definitive History of Sega World London
    Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:09pm
Hiya, some of you may remember that I wrote an article about Sega World London and the Trocadero a while back. Well now I've just recently been helping out with a few different projects about it! One is this great design thread on Twitter, outlining the aesthetic and style of the place, but most important is the first of two videos I have helped source information and media for! A second one by someone else is coming soon, probably tomorrow in fact, but please spare this a view if you can for now.

_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:24pm
Just quickly skimmed through. Looks really interesting, will watch in full soon as I get chance. Thanks for sharing.
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:26pm
Excellent video, so glad I got to go there when it existed.

Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel.
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:27pm
Can't believe I never went!?

Edited by _Matt_ - 12 Jul 2019 at 9:28pm
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 9:52pm
I went a couple of times. The first time you paid an entry fee and all games were on free play. Second time I went you just went in and had to pay for credits.
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:19pm
Really interesting vid, went to the Trocadero in the early 00s once Sega had left. Was still cool though
Maxrom View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:25am
Great video. I went there, but couldn't remember exactly when. I do however have a photo of the Williams F1 car, so I presume it was fairly early on based on the comment in the video about the car being removed later. That said, I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford the original high entry fee as a young teenager back then, so I'm guessing the car was still there when the entry price was either reduced to £2, or scrapped entirely. 

From what little I can still remember, I seem to recall it being a fun place to go, especially as I was a bit of a SEGA fan boy back then (and still am now I guess). If I find the photo envelope with the F1 car picture, I'll see if I took any other pictures from inside. I never knew it was such a mysterious place, but I guess back then when you were paying per photo, and only had one roll of film to use, people were more selective over what they took pictures of.

smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 12:15pm
I never paid to go in, but I remember going there when they still had the escalators and travelators. Would probably have been 1998/1999.

Top Skater FTW

Edited by smf - 13 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
jasonm737 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonm737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 12:57pm
Great video. I remember my first and only visit vividly. By the time I went back for my 2nd visit it was already gone but there was still some good stuff in the remaining arcade. The rocket escalator definitely gave the impression you were going somewhere special. Remember playing the r360. Spotted the new Transformers game in the video too in a similar cab to r360. Wish that was somewhere in the uk so I could try it. Its such a shame being there now and seeing just another tacky tourist shop where the Trocadero used to be. Its a pity they have now gutted the rest of the building. Would have made an amazing Arcade Club London.
Wanted:Outrun, Rave Racer, Virtua Cop 2, HOTD...and dreaming: G-LOC R360(Don't have the space but if I can afford one then it means I've won the Lotto so I'll just buy a bigger house)
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
thanks for the video. i have been to segaworld trocadero countless times. i actually found a photo of me outside it in 96 recently. pretty sure the photo of segaworld colindale used in the video belongs to me too which i shared on my flickr.
rotunda View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:32pm
Always been interested in this. Thanks for sharing as i never really knew much about it.

I wonder if it was Fun Land or Sega World which had the Ridge Racer Full Scale as it seems to not be there in this video. If Fun Land had it then the machine would have only been in operation for about 2 or 3 years... that's sad.

Ridge Racer Upright cabinet and working/broken RR PCB's wanted.
Lardonate View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardonate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 2:02pm
I went in 1999, must've been just before it closed. I know it must've been then as I played Crazy Taxi and turned into a puddle of sweat trying to get the highscore using the rickshaw mode. I wasn't even aware it had closed until the next time I went to go there a couple of years later and the world-famous rocket escalator was bathed in darkness. Pretty much as it'd remain for the next decade or so.

Theres an urban exploration video from a couple of years ago that showed what the state of the Trocadero was inside after everything got stripped out. Pretty sure I remember the sloped walls that are shown.

smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 3:40pm
I've not been there, but this might be worth checking out https://the-crystal-maze.com/london-westend/

I read that the arcade at the end of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwb9jOVRtU is trocadero.

jasonm737 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonm737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by rotunda rotunda wrote:

Always been interested in this. Thanks for sharing as i never really knew much about it.

I wonder if it was Fun Land or Sega World which had the Ridge Racer Full Scale as it seems to not be there in this video. If Fun Land had it then the machine would have only been in operation for about 2 or 3 years... that's sad.

It definitely was Fun Land with the RR Full Scale. It was already beat up when I played it there. The gears didn’t work at the time I played it.
Wanted:Outrun, Rave Racer, Virtua Cop 2, HOTD...and dreaming: G-LOC R360(Don't have the space but if I can afford one then it means I've won the Lotto so I'll just buy a bigger house)
Maxrom View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:56pm
Was it this place that also had a couple of those headache inducing Virtuality VR machines at one point? Pretty sure when I went, there was a couple hooked up running some kind of stock car game. If it wasn't this place, I can't think where else in London I would have seen it. Can anyone confirm this?
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Maxrom Maxrom wrote:

Was it this place that also had a couple of those headache inducing Virtuality VR machines at one point? Pretty sure when I went, there was a couple hooked up running some kind of stock car game. If it wasn't this place, I can't think where else in London I would have seen it. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes it was, I remember seeing those on one of my walk rounds, they were very close to a huge sit down 18 Wheeler cab the time I went there.
Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel.
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:54pm
didn't it also used to have Alien war based there at some point,I remember going through it with my mate,must have been late 80's or early 90's,I remember seeing the vr stuff and a ridge racer sit down
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
rotunda View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:49pm
Extra's / follow up

Ridge Racer Upright cabinet and working/broken RR PCB's wanted.
Tedward View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:17am
Here's the other video which I helped out with, less in depth than the one I posted already but offers some more pics and videos. The guy has also did a great video on Sega World Sydney's rise and downfall a while back, worth a watch as well.

Edited by Tedward - 14 Jul 2019 at 12:19am
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:50am
Nice videos. Kudos on all the research you've done to pull all that together.

Looks like I got really lucky on my times there then. Initally I got to go in on the single-play tickets, where every machine was on freeplay - I really hope I've kept at least one of those.
(As an aside, at the start you paid at the bottom of the tunnel escalator, the booths were on the left).
I thought it was fantastic as I geniunely played so many games I'd never put money into.. it was a real education in gameplay.
Completing Rail Chase and discovering Prop Cycle are memorable moments from that time.
I didn't think the VR rides were too bad personally. The Michael Jackson simulator booth was cheesy crap, but the sub aqua one was cool I thought, and even the early Virtuality Rigs were great.

Then later on it was as the normal free to enter arcade, pay per play - and we still put cash in the machines such as full size Ridge Racer etc.. I'm sure the racing floor had a dogems ring in the middle at this point? Loads of Chinese businessmen in suits all playing linked Daytona after work etc..

By the final times there, which must have been in '97 / '98, Funland had completely reverted back to the dark and seedy arcade really. There was a real local crowd in there, loads of oriental kids totally killing the games night after night, and lots of empty space.

Luckilly I never saw the worst with the vending machine blocking off the escalator and the very end where it was a grey corridor with a few machines in there.

A sad decline really.

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic