correct paint for coin doors

Gaming Heaven

Active member
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
106CR
OK I still agree powder coating is best but I found this product and it
gives a pretty good textured finish but it is a bit glossy, potentially better than a matt
finish or hammerite though imo:

HYCOTE XUK0201 Wrinkle Finish Aerosol Spray Paint 400 ml

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SMOQYM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

edit I checked the finish and its not that ripply and is glossy, still need to do the final coat though
Gaming Heaven2015-06-29 22:16:15
 

Gaming Heaven

Active member
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
106CR
instead of sandblasting try this attachment, its cheaper and gets rid of most coverings known to man [unless plated!]!

102_0239_2.jpg


102_0242_2.jpg
 

Gaming Heaven

Active member
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
106CR
just to complete this thread I can't really recommend the Hycote paint it produced a nice wrinkle although a bit too shiney on the coin insert surrounds, but on the door surfaces was patchy, maybe I applied it in too high an ambient temperature and that is the key to getting it right but not so sure

powder coaters definately the best option if you can sort it
 
Credits
23CR
Hi,

I have done loads of these myself. I always use a wire wheel heavy duty on an angle grinder, this shifts any paint and rust. If the areas were badly corroded I use a "rust off" style treatment which stops reoccurrence in the future. I then etch prime. After this I use an under body textured paint by Würth which gives the exact textured finish you are seeking. I then finish with the desired colour usually satin black.

I would rather have the satisfaction of doing it myself than letting someone else love the doors or other metal back to good shape.
smiley27.gif
smiley27.gif


I am currently in the process of doing my Electrocoin Duet cab. Exactly this process.
 
Credits
23CR
ps wrinkle finish is the paint used on interiors of old Austin 1100 heaters (smiths) etc, its not the right finish for coin doors.
Currycowboy2015-07-11 12:17:33
 

Gaming Heaven

Active member
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
106CR
thanks CCB will bear this in mind for next time, now I have done it I can't bring myself to strip and repaint but will definately read up your process for next time!

what is etch priming? I did do a full rust treatement with jenolite

under body textured paint by Würth sounds like its the key
 
Credits
23CR
An etch primer, is a primer which has an acid in it which enables it to bond to bare metal better than other primers/paints so it gives a better base for overpainting in the fact that it wont flake off from non adherence.
Yes Würth is spot on.
smiley20.gif
You should be able to get it from a number of suppliers or a local garage that buys parts from them.
 
Top