Kamikaze III / Galaxian Bootleg

BGOllie

User
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
29CR
Dc6fKsGWkAAN4gj.jpg


recently got two of these & just finished fixing the first one.

Original roms (those goldenish 2716 eproms) had broken legs. Repaired a few so I could read them and find out what the game was : Kamikaze III , a galaxian bootleg. I then replaced them all with 2732

Had to replace most of the IC on the address bus on rows 6&7 : all buffers were out, and ls138 on column 7 as there was a good bit of corrosion on the legs and traces.

Board then was stuck on test, displaying the boot and seemingly resetting. However the reset line was high at all times. I checked the voltages and the board was barely getting 4.2v .

So I did the DC mod (removed filter caps, resistors, transistor and voltage regulator and remiving & bridging the diodes) . Board then booted fine.

There was still some issues.

1 Sound was out - ended up being an adapter issue. These board output sound in different pinout than the standard galaxian setup.

Last issue remaining was the diving sprites and explosions were displayed on the top of the screen. I had a quick check at the Galaxian repair guide pdf and it mentioned two ls163 at 4t and 5t. Checked and one of them had a floating pin. Replaced it (ended up replacing both actually) and the board works fine now :)

I also replaced all old sockets and put in new rams

olonguet2018-05-12 00:05:42
 
Top