FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Top 50 Arcade Games for 10p Podcast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 50 Arcade Games for 10p Podcast
    Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:21pm
After a great heads up from Chuckie Egg - Alex - NIntendo Arcade...

Shaun and I will be doing a top 50 arcade games podcast in the future, with a bunch of our mates and other podcasting buddies.

It will be a long podcast, or a few smaller ones - dependant on how long we/they waffle for...

We want YOU lot to tell us your favourite games - we don't want all 50, but your favourite(s) and why/opinions/first played/ports to consoles/computers. We would also like audio submissions too, which will be played on the podcast. Get your voice and opinions on t'internet radio!

HELP US, OBI WANS!!!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
J69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:31pm
SF2 - Discovered it in an arcade in Palma Nova and fell in love
Outrun - Another game that I played on holiday in Majorca amongst other places
Afterburner
Chase HQ - They had one in my local pub. Spent lots of 20p's waiting for my Sunday dinner
Double Dragon
R Type
SF3.3 - I was a late comer to this game. Owned it a few years back and thought it was a perfect upgrade to SF2
Simpsons - There was one in the arcade at Prinose Valley caravan park in Scarborough
TMNT
Daytona
Operation Wolf
Wonderboy - There was one in our hotel in Alcudia. Spent a fortune on it
Space Invaders - My dads favourite game and grew up playing it because of him

In short most of these are a list of my childhood! I was born in 1982 and caught the tail end of the arcade scene. They were still littered around pubs and cafes prior to dying out in the early 90s

Edited by J69 - 04 Aug 2017 at 8:22am
RolyRetro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolyRetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:35pm
First up, just happen to be browsing while on my holiday in Tenerife, which reminds me of my first proper arcade experience....

1982, a hotel in Majorca, and the game was Phoenix. Spent 2 weeks and lots of 25 peseta pieces trying to master that one.

Then back to the UK and Friday evenings and summer holidays in Southend on Sea and the huge arcades there, where I discovered over several years....

Star Wars - still the best arcade game ever and my most treasured possession
Track & Field - a brilliant idea and so well executed, spawned a generation of home computer clones
Gyruss - the music! The rotating gameplay! Such a great shooter
Nemesis / Gradius - loved every minute of this vertical shooter, the power up mechanic was so good
Outrun - on everyone's list, the music and the driving was just so much fun
Double Dragon - best 2 player brawler, had to play to the end, ate a lot of 10p pieces
Hot Rod - Unique 4 player top down racer, impossible to replicate the experience at home
Gauntlet - 4 player action and really got the chance to see who your friends were!

I could go on but you wanted favourites and they are mine. I'm sure I could do 50 but these are the games I really loved and still do today.

Cheers!
Star Wars UR/Outrun Mini/Streets Defender/Asteroids Deluxe & Moon Cresta CocktailS/Track & Field/Snow Bros/More projects than time
Twitter @retrogamesnow
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
Great stuff

Outrun - because I love it, one of those games I first saw at Butlins, Bognor on a scout weekend, I had no money to play it, but stood watching mesmorised by the scrolling and music. Then had to own it on pretty much every computer/console I ever have had....and now the machine.

Gauntlet - first game I really played on an arcade machine, the crowd and demand at the youth club on school lunch break to be able to get in and put your 10p in and hope to last....again then had to own it on pretty much all systems I ever had, and been gutted that it never came out on the Amiga (only GII did).

Final Fight - To me, the best side scrolling fighter, the good bass thumping sounds, whilst I grew up and loved Double Dragon, this to me beat the pants off it.

Space Invaders - I was very late to the party with this game, always dismissed it, till I played on it at one of the arcade events and then later on Boneheads cab at one of his meets, really feel for the game then and its simplicity and addictiveness....so much so I had to have one.

Centipede - just so addictive, very simple game again, but a joy to play.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Just one of those games of an era, the sound of the theme tune blasting out, great fun with 4 players and even better if you knew the trick to get loads of credits for free. :)

Street Fighter 2 - Championship Edition - When the fair came to town it was the first time I'd see them have more than one of the same machine, I think they had 3 or 4 SF2's because it was just so popular, and then when the Turbo edition came to the Snes, it was happy days for me & my mates.

Also...Warlords (4 Player) cocktail - such an awesome competitive game to play, first encountered this game at the South Coast Slam, and a group of us (Retro Gamer Forumites)had a mini tourno. One game I'd love to own one day.

Additionally I would also add Paperboy, Bubble Bobble & Track and Field.

Edited by Bensonrad - 04 Aug 2017 at 1:35pm
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Track & Field or Hyper Sports cab and ooo I'd love an Exterminator +Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:29am
Outrun for me too. Utterly blew my mind when I first saw it in DLX form back in 1986, possibly the first game I saw that puked colourful chunks of pixellage directly into my face, rather than just scrolling it about sideways. And then I went up a hill and the cabinet tilted. And the music. And the multiple routes. And the waves crashing when you put your name in. I still want one!

Wonderboy. Will remind me of hot summer holidays in the med, since 1987. Even my other half can sing the music! This is where my love of chucking axes at bees comes from, I'm sure.

Space Harrier. Probably discovered at the same time as Outrun, again in DLX moving cab form. I thought this was slick as hell, and a great game to watch people play with the big bosses.

R-Type. First played on the humble speccy which was a fantastic home version, then discovered in the arcade. In my view no R-Type sequel ever bettered the gameplay of the original version, it was somehow pure and not overly complicated.

Chase HQ. Not as impressive as Outrun really, but I loved the car bashing gameplay. Again I loved the home speccy version first, but the arcade was far better when I saw it in the flesh. I'm just a sucker for big flashy lights, clearly!

Bomb Jack. No idea why I keep going back to it? Maybe I like the annoying music and I'm just addicted to collecting things! It was another little cab hidden at the back of the arcade in a dark corner costing 10p. I still swear at the dubious collision detection decades later mind...

Puyo Puyo. Another oddball one. I first played a rip-off of this on the Apple Mac of all things, which lead me to the SNES and finally the Mame version. It's always been there as a 5 minute coffee-break game, and great in 2 player mode battling against eachother.

Tiger Heli. This was a 'yoof club' cocktail cab, that was battered beyond belief. Somehow this ropey shooter took all our money alongside cans of coke and packets of crisps. Later it was upgraded to Flying Shark which was much better ;)

Choplifter. Kids were not allowed in the local pub, but we were allowed in the bowling alley / games room. And there sat a choplifter cab. I loved the concept of the 'save-em-up' combined with a traditional shooter, as well as what I thought at the time were amazingly detailed graphics.

Power Drift. No it's not as good as Outrun. No it made no bloody sense. But I loved the over-the-top-in-yer-face of it all, the music, graphics, characters giving eachother aggro, and rotatey chunky sprite madness. Sega arcade energy turned to the top of the dial.

Riiiiiiiiidddge Raaaaacer. Jawdropped when I first saw it, and happily pumped in the money to experience the 3D of it all. But it was back at home where I hammered the PlayStation version, until it killed the CD laser on my first console.

Time Crisis 1 & 2. I'd played Virtua Cop but much prefered the pedal to duck and reload than the shoot-away stuff that other games did. The little cut-scenes and time-totals between levels seemed nicely spaced for swigging beer too. Nice one Namco Wink The second game then blew my mind with the co-op stuff, where each player did their own thing for a bit and then regrouped. Still brilliant.

Pac Mania Not sure why but when I first saw it this cab felt huuuuge! Huge sprites, big bright colourful marquee. Loved the whole Pac-Man on lego bricks thing.

Edited by Flinnster - 04 Aug 2017 at 1:19pm

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 5:18am
Excellent stuff! I'll be getting in contact with a few of you about doing some audio, if you'd like to be in the podcast?

Check out the podcast

J69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:23am
I'm happy to if you need anything
edget2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edget2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:49am
My Arcade Experience kind of comes in 2 parts .. 

Aged about 11/12 I discovered

1)Moon Cresta
2)Phoenix
3)Space invaders
4)Galaxian
5)Scramble

these were all outside the cafe area at my local swimming pool "BeechDale Baths" but were in clone cabinets or cocktails, nothing original. There are times even today when I play those games that I get a wiff of chlorine. Funny how the mind associates thing with the different senses.

Then a few years later I started to travel into Nottingham the arcade is called "OAK Amusements" on St James Street now not sure if that was its name back in the 80's. There was another arcade on the corner of Heathcote St near the Palais as well but I've forgotten the name... That is where I encountered

6)Tron
7)Dragons Lair
8)BattleZone
9)Defender
10)Buck Rogers!!!!!!!!!!

I have to sneak Star Wars in at 11!!! but I could never get on it though....

I can already hear you all say "Buck Rogers!!!!". This game has great meaning for me, mainly because I was only 13/14 and the bigger kids/Men always got on Tron/Dragons Lair and I could only play them if I got to the arcade rarely early. 

But my best mate "Buck" was always there free waiting for me when the bigger kids were dominating all the cooler games. Me a Buck spent many hours together with 100's of 10p passing between us and now he sits proudly in the middle of my collection.. 

great memories..........

cheers
Tony

Edited by edget2000 - 04 Aug 2017 at 8:49am
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:56am
These are great so far!

Maybe limit to 5 faves each? Poor old Shaun has to insert these into a spread sheet (he loves spread sheets)

Get in contact with me to do some audio submissions - I can Skype you to do the recordings etc if you aren't confident doing them yourself.

Check out the podcast

Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:27am
Are you going to Kdoes meet, you could bring your microphone along then, I'll talk to you :)
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Track & Field or Hyper Sports cab and ooo I'd love an Exterminator +Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:04am
Good shout on a top 50!

Mine are:

Deathsmiles - a well balanced, difficult but fair bullet he'll shooter. It was the first arcade games I 1CC'd.

Elevator Action Returns - the sequel to Elevator Action, it's a great action game that takes some planning and timing for jumps.

Espgaluda - Another bullet he'll shooter, probably ones of Cave's easier games, it doesn't feel unfair which is more than can be said for some others.

Guilty Gear X - A great free flowing fighting game with a final boss you can actually beat.

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike - I was also a late comer to this game, but to me it's the best street fighter game ever. It feels quite different to all of the other games in the franchise.

The oldest game in my list is mid-90's
miner2049er View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miner2049er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:03pm
Amidar
Burger Time
Frogger
Q*Bert
Star Force

(UK Mike, Retro Gaming Roundup)

Edited by miner2049er - 06 Aug 2017 at 3:03pm
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:05pm
I've chopped any changed mine so many times over the years, but the ones that hold the greatest memories for me are the following. 

I was spoiled as a kid growing up in a seaside town with several arcades so got to play them all pretty often. My main era was 83-87 I guess.

I have a few of these as dedicated cabs, mainly the ones with unique controls - as it's impossible to emulate them in the way you can with standard joystick/button games.

Paperboy - not many people play the Medium Road and Hard Way levels, which add so much extra to the game imo over the Easy Street.

Pacland - The best scrolling, platform game.

Nemesis - the first and best shooter using this type of power up system

Super Sprint - often late back to school after playing this with 2 mates for the whole lunchtime......many times we didn't even have time to get anything to eat.

Spy Hunter - the music at full volume still sends shivers down my spine.

Tehkan World Cup - spinning the trackball as fast as humanly possible to be able to beat the team in the final never gets boring.

Centipede - for me the most iconic sounds of the arcade, but also a fantastic shooter. Could always hear this being played from a fair distance away.

Track & Field - just so much fun hammering the buttons as fast as possible. Fond memories of many a 2p, or even 3p co-op game. Two men running and one man doing the jump/throw.

Hyper Sports - Track and Field but possibly even better.

Bubble Bobble - the best 2player co-op game imo. Still as good today as when it first came out

EDIT: Ooops that's 10 already. I better stop there - absolutely loads more I could mention, but I'd say that's close to my favourite 10 of all time

Edited by frothmeister - 04 Aug 2017 at 2:26pm
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 12:42pm
Asteroids - early vector and so iconic

Centipede - everyone knows it's awesome

Timepilot - I feel like i've had a full workout every time i play it

Pac-Man - Classic.

Space Invaders - Classic.

Bonus: Gyruss, Burgertime.

Edited by Nes4life - 04 Aug 2017 at 12:44pm
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
t-m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 1:35pm
Ok these are mine...

Joust - flap, flap, flap.  what a great game idea. Excellent cooperative two player mode and you can still kill the other player LOL   Bonus points to Williams for actually developing and releasing the game when everyone else was making space shooters.
Gyruss - great gameplay and fabulous music when most other games had none.  Inspired by Galaga and Tempest maybe but better than both IMO.
Bagman - rock hard game and i'm so rubbish at most that this would normally put me off, but the way it works with simple game play idea but hard to master brings me back again.  Bonus marks for being developed by a french company who started by making control systems for concrete plants.
Street Fighter II - I wan't a big player of this back in the arcades but the SNES port was excellent and a 2 player battle with your mates is hard to beat.
R-type - simple, hard, but somehow brooding and rewarding.  I'm rubbish at it but could play the first level again and again.

Special mentions to: Outrun, Track and Field, Asteroids.

TWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm
Five of my favourites probably not the top five but these ones hold some fond memories for me.

Asteroids: This was the first game I ever rolled the score on. I was still at school and like most day’s we had gone down to the local café to spend our dinner money on the couple of vid’s they had in there. Myself and half a dozen others that stayed to see it ended up with detention for missing afternoon registration.

Space Invaders: This was the first game I ever played. The local fish & chip shop had it installed that was it whenever I had cash as kid I would be hanging around my local chippy.

Track & Field: All through the 80’s my brothers and I would often go to arcade’s but were never competitive on any of the games even though we would play doubles until it came to Track & Field.

Hang on: I’ve never really been a fan of racing games but when I saw this one summer at an arcade while on holiday in Blackpool I couldn’t believe it a bike that you could sit on and lean to corner, a real throttle and brakes, I was blown away.

Scramble: When it came down to my last 10p and deciding which machine to put it into before the long walk home, this was usually the one it went in.

Edited by TWB - 04 Aug 2017 at 2:18pm
WANTED
BOARDS: Phoenix, Gun Smoke, Cosmic Guerilla, Astro Invader/Kamikaze, Astro Fighter & Astro Blaster.
CABS: Defender project.
shaunholley View Drop Down
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:32pm
Thanks guys. Please limit to 5 choices if you can. Smile
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

edget2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edget2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by shaunholley shaunholley wrote:

Thanks guys. Please limit to 5 choices if you can. Smile

Isn't that like trying to pick one favourite type of biscuit??? LOL
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 7:22pm
True. And I forgot Ordyne .... and Rainbow Islands Tongue

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Del Griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm
My 5 have always pretty much been the same.

Star Wars - My fav arcade game, Still great to play now and was everywhere bitd...although mostly out of order :)

Space harrier - fantastic game and for me yu suzuki's best, If this was in an arcade you could here it from anywhere in the room

Wonderboy - Still enjoy playing as much now as when I was a kid

Street fighter 1 - not everyone's cup over tea but so iconic of the time and I love it

Double dragon - blew me away when I first played it, Awesome soundtrack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic