ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Double dragon bootleg pcb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double dragon bootleg pcb
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 7:08pm
Brought this as a none worker, it's a little dusty with a few caps missing/bad. Plugged it in to be greeted with a rolling, corrupt image. This game used to bleed me dry after swimming at the local leisure centre in the late 80's.

[TUBE]6_pyZxQBQNs[\TUBE]

Video 1

Put a couple of missing caps on the corners of the pcb and cleaned the ribbon cable connections and it passed the test screen, still rolling, no sound and no background or sprites. Will be checking out the roms next.

[TUBE]-qLl7VsbuQU[\TUBE]

Video 2

Still not sure how to embed these video's?

Edited by Shinydaz - 11 Aug 2017 at 7:12pm
Hunting for a pole position !!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:59am
Nice work sir. I have a double dragon booty without sound / no music. Still need to attempt a fix.

On the video, if you quote my post you should see how I've embedded youtube stuff. Looks like what you typed to be honest. Odd. Or just press the video icon, strip off the url stuff and bish bosh..

Edited by Flinnster - 12 Aug 2017 at 1:01am

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 4:10am
Thankyou, I dont think the movie icon is available on my mobile browser, Im now on my PC and can see it.

Right a bit more progress tonight. Ive replaced most of the caps in the sound section, we now have sound.

Gave the board a really good inspection, alot of holes in the solder around some of the legs, so I patched them up, still no background or gameplay and also still rolling.

I then thought Id check out the 2015 sram near the roms @ic57 on this bootleg. It was one of them shiny tmm2015bp chips,  Ive had troubles with these before. Now I know you cant properly diagnose sram with a logic probe, but it wasnt doing a great deal, So I cut it out and put a socket in.  I only had 6116's so that had to do and the result is :

I will try the board in another cab tomorrow to see if it rolls on that.

Edited by Shinydaz - 12 Aug 2017 at 5:05am
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:39pm
Cool, maybe one of those typical booties not syncing on some montors thing?
For the cap replacements, did any look blatantly dodgey beforehand?

- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:21pm
Yes 1 cap around the sound section had a leg hanging off, the others looked pretty rough to be fair. I'm guessing your amp isn't running? You can brush a wet finger on the amp pins underneath and it should crackle if it's running.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 1:05am
Nothing too bad looking on the caps around the sound section for me, definitely one broken round the opposite side of the board near the corner on the ground plane though.
For the sound amp, plenty of loud noise 'humm' (the volume pot is up quite high) and yep, snap crackle 'n pop when I rund my finger on the solder contacts.
Not sure if I'm imagining a bit of white noise 'in the distance' when punches and kicks are happening. The music is definitely missing completely though.

Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:40am
You pulled out the sound roms to verify them?
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:27pm
Just to confirm, the games plays perfect on my other jamma cab with no rolling.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

You pulled out the sound roms to verify them?

Soz, I missed this one! Been dealing with other cab issues! Cry
No I'm afraid I have no rom reader/burner here in any case (another bit of kit I need to get hold of! )

For the boots having wierd sync issues, I picked up a Puyo Puyo that is really wildly different from most other boards I have on the monitor settings.
Messing with both monitor holds and position I can sort it out fine, but yeah, it's really the other end of the scale from other jamma boards, some other boots I have, and cart systems like PGM & MGS.
Nobody ever designed arcade stuff to be swapped around much, hey! Confused

Edited by Flinnster - 17 Aug 2017 at 5:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic