Skin:

Outrun Dash Plastic Reproduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outrun Dash Plastic Reproduction
    Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:56pm

Available in white plastic only at the moment:

Edited by Alpha1 - 13 Feb 2018 at 3:41pm
JAG555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:05pm
When do you think it’s likely to have these pre-painted in the correct silver colour?
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by JAG555 JAG555 wrote:

When do you think it’s likely to have these pre-painted in the correct silver colour?

There's no guarantee there will be any in silver, I've got the paint matched perfect as it matches a nos bezel but if I have issues with the next paint shop I wont be offering them painted.

Unless you have a NOS bezel your going to end up having to match your bezel up to the dash as it will have discolored, it makes more sense to paint them both together in my opinion.

Sm76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sm76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:30pm
Has the experience of doing these put you off looking to reproduce the bezel?
Wanted: Space Harrier!
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:51am
Not really, that hinges on the uptake of the dash boards. 
JAG555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:07am
I will be really honest, I think if these were pre-painted and ready to install these would be flying out (they might actually be doing that anyway for all I know), but for me personally I am still deciding if I can be bothered to paint it up, especially given that you have had issues with the paint so far. I would be concerned with wear and the white plastic showing through.

I think the dash looks great, I just hope the pre-paint option works.

I will be watching for updates. Cheers
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:38am
I think the thing here guys, is that if the plastics are as close looking to the originals as can be done.
And the thickness and quality of the plastic is good.
Which as I have not seen one, I cannot say.
Then it is just down the painting, which to my experience is the easy bit to get sorted.

I am sure if you get a good automotive paint company to match the colours,
that they use the correct plasticote 2K primer to stop reaction between the plastic and paint.
Then make sure that the correct paint plastic 2K paint is used to stop cracking during
any flexing that will happen, due to being flexi plastic.
2K paint is very hard wearing once fully cured and should not have a problem with scratching
like older paints did.

I think we are lucky that reproductions are ever being tried out.
Repairing the old stuff if bits are shattered or missing would be next to impossible.

NOS stuff is so very hard to find now, so this is what is going to be have to be dealt with somehow.
If we really want to keep this stuff anywhere near nice anyway.
It will cost money and be work to get done, but that's how things are.

All I can say is if the quality is the same as the metal steering gears, it will be fine.
I have fitted them at the weekend, and they will out last the rest of the cabinet
and are nice to fit.

Good work Craig.

You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:56pm
Clap

Really awesome job! God-send if you've got a cracked dash! 

I spent about 5 years of trawling eBay to find a near perfect one for my Mini - and that was back before OutRun cabs were desirable. 
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:39pm
That makes sense really to get your bezel painted at same time as dash for perfect match, specially if it has some marks in it so you can get both mint

Great price for a nice mint replacement dash that, top workSmile
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic