Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Auctions & Ebay Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

i am having an overdue clearout.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i am having an overdue clearout.
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:19pm
Hi Norm, I just realised a few boards I bought on eBay yesterday were from your store.

Looking forward to playing them when they arrive. Some great classics!

Thanks again!

Edited by yoganuggy - 12 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:43pm
Nice to see you can still pick these up at such great prices
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:52pm
I remember you telling me about some of those scams a while back, shocking stuff.
I was going to have a go at siting cabs in the early 90's after seeing offers in coinslot like 10 cabs at £50 each with pcb. I just couldn't get the cash together back then though I think I was only on £35 a week LOL

Always, nice to hear your tales from back in the day.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:24pm
£162 for Robocop with no sound - OMG. I sold one for £50 when I couldn't figure out how to get the game working correctly (was playing upside down). The buyer found a manual online and it was a simple dipswitch. Bought another fully working a few months later fully working for £50. 15 years later and prices have changed drastically for some pcbs 

I hope all the bidders are genuine and you get the £££s.
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:29pm
Winfalls logo was like a circle split horizontally with four arrows going like north east south and west in a triangle ...as he was addressed at Frederic house,formerly fourways house, fourways, towyn on the corner of the traffic lights opposite fourways holiday park  LL22 9HB long since bankrupted  offices demolished and now a caravan sales lot for one of the big local parks 

tony did set up again as nationwide vending …. siting tattoo venders knickers/tights/sexy underwear from a nut vender machine also nuts and sweet capsule machines still on rip off buy ready sited terms in a location near you !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by 69er - 11 Feb 2019 at 4:35pm
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
TWB View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:29pm
Nad thanks for confirming they were made by Norm.

Norm thanks for the history lesson and insight in to how the Winfall cabs came in to being. I have to say these really are well built cabs.

I think Jammaplus was the first place I saw the term hypnocab as well.

Some frightening prices there as well and that would have been when a pound was worth a pound as well. I got mine from a B & B in Blackpool about 2 years ago it was won on ebay for £180 and had a Thunder Cross 2 board in so I don't think I got too bad a deal.

This really is facinating stuff Norm, thanks for posting.

Edited by TWB - 11 Feb 2019 at 4:31pm
WANTED
Cabs:
Leisure 2000
PCBs: Ms Pacman | Iron Horse
Parts: Euro or US Defender Coin Door
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:18pm
Your posts are an avalanche of information, but fascinating too :)
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:14pm
yes as Nad says above winfall's tony smith originally bought some surplus amazon cabs for his scam get rich quick scheme to oown a machine operating round in your own town and sited them in cafes video libraries and shops anywhere he could then sold them on to many unsuspecting buyers who soon found out they were hard to maintain with his non existent back up service ,,,,,,,,,,,, 
he had well over 800 altogether circa 700 we made with winfall marquees …   THIS WAS OUR FAULT when Mark who designed them first had the marquees printed they said AMAZON below it ...manufactured and supplied by amazon leisure tel 0745 3360** which was his home number as they were mainly just for our own sites...………..

Tony Smith got hold of a couple and we got a button damage help call from Norfolk ………. wow not our site a barbers shop...………  then a few weeks later a monitor with frame collapse in a cinema in Kent 

these were out of the first 36 only as the other 2000 all had WINFALL or AMAZON LOGO the palm tree is amazon ……original business cards at that time had a girl in a grass skirt playing a video game beneath the palm tree…………  always loved the term HYPNOCAB first coined by a jammaplus member some years  ago  my wife has one of the amazon cabs in the concservatory here at home and her puzzle bobble high scores are are 15-16,000,000 and thro all 30 levels 

the other place they are seen is covered with SFll artwork and marquee at arcadeworld as Johnathan Thompson also bought a huge number of cabs and launched his retro360 along side his own generic jamma cabs later all furnished with new artwork but see them on ebay all over the country all the time …..   mainly winfall sites that did not make the operators rich after all 

just routed out one of winfalls brochures buy 3 mega videos in your area sited £5,465 (1800ea+vat)
4 for £6975 5 for £8,45  or 6/7/8/9 etc till 10 you could buy for £15,975   THATS 1600 each plus  v a t at 17.5%   no wonder people soon wanted try get there money back other ways 

when Atari and Nintendo brought out hand held free to play Gameboys etc in the 90s nobody anywhere was putting coins into PAID VIDEO CABS in any quantity 

He was based in Towyn right close to us so it was good making them for him but he struck a price deal to get them off us for £775 ithout a game in or £935 with a decent game in so nearly doubled his money just plonking them in a shop or café and selling them on

tony Smith said one basic day training is all you need to be " once a winfall customer always a winfall customer" VERY TRUE AS MOST PEOPLE WERE TEMPTED BY HIS LOW DEPOSIT HIGH INTEREST FINANCE PACKAGES … a guy near me in Cheshire I know  paid over £10K for 4 videos a condom machine and 2 sweet beaver venders 

Edited by 69er - 11 Feb 2019 at 4:19pm

Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm
Norm manufactured those Winfall Hypno cabs.

He's the OH (Original Hoarder).
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
TWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by 69er 69er wrote:

just searching out an aforementioned flyer and on top of it was a Robocop instruction pamphlet MANY OF THESE pcbs HAVE SOLD TO OVERSEAS BUYERS however Robocop stayed in south Wales AND IF THE BUYER IS A UKVAC USER I  WILL ENCLOSE THE BOOKLET FREE WITH THE ROBOCOP pcb useful bit of info edge jamma and dip settings cabinet and monitor connctions .. small rip but its free to pcb buyer just PM me 

Wow that looks exactly like a Winfall Hypno cab (I own one) even down to the palm trees on the marquee would you have been manufacturing Winfall video cabs or were they copying your design?
WANTED
Cabs:
Leisure 2000
PCBs: Ms Pacman | Iron Horse
Parts: Euro or US Defender Coin Door
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:04pm
I would be first to agree prices were bit unexpected we throw fruit machines away by the vanload even when only a few years old and have sadly done same with some arcade classics when theres been a fault we know is going to be outrageously pricey to repair ……… not least if awhole part needs finding we get guns ripped off time crisis all the time and a full gun new is 280 +vat even a gun loom protected  cable is 60 a Namco gun lens is about 25 +vat +postage & vat on postage …

…. I recall our Maze of Kings pharaoh style guns were so often broken I bought new gun shell halves to have in stock ready. the triggers too very vulnerable   ..……  then the disk drive packed up ………………. 
when kids climb up a house of the Dead and stand on the guns till they snap it makes me cry that's about £500 of damage and machine takes about £5 a week on average

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:30pm
Coincidentally I was reading about robocop repairs last week, some guy was having trouble with missing background graphics even though it didn't affect gameplay (missing blue sky for instance).

"sounds simple" I thought. That repair thread went on for something like 6 months in the most detailed investigation until eventually the guy gave up and threw it on a pile.

No comment on these auctions here, but for me and faulty boards it's a resounding "foooooook that!" to higher prices :p
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by mysticmonk mysticmonk wrote:

That flyer is very cool :)

As for people buying faulty boards, if it's a low price, fine. But when you factor in repair costs, that it might not be repairable, that the owner may know it's a hopeless task, etc... It's not worth the sizeable gamble at higher prices.

I think robocop, for instance, is a 100 odd quid game fully working. Anything over 25 quid is too much for a faulty game in my opinion.

I'm not a gambler, in other words :p

I am the same , I went to £40 on it and was stunned at what is fetched to be honest. Same with some of the others , Sadly way to far out for me (Sadly)

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:15pm
That flyer is very cool :)

As for people buying faulty boards, if it's a low price, fine. But when you factor in repair costs, that it might not be repairable, that the owner may know it's a hopeless task, etc... It's not worth the sizeable gamble at higher prices.

I think robocop, for instance, is a 100 odd quid game fully working. Anything over 25 quid is too much for a faulty game in my opinion.

I'm not a gambler, in other words :p
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:47pm
just searching out an aforementioned flyer and on top of it was a Robocop instruction pamphlet MANY OF THESE pcbs HAVE SOLD TO OVERSEAS BUYERS however Robocop stayed in south Wales AND IF THE BUYER IS A UKVAC USER I  WILL ENCLOSE THE BOOKLET FREE WITH THE ROBOCOP pcb useful bit of info edge jamma and dip settings cabinet and monitor connctions .. small rip but its free to pcb buyer just PM me 

69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:07pm
I had a few of those MJs moonwalker  over the years wish I had them now...… amazed at price you only have to look at my suggested start prices and they could have easily gone for a couple of bids ?? I recall downsizing our depot 10 years ago we had boxes and boxes of pcbs 20 -30 in a box and couldn't get £25 a box tho they were just rough stacked boards …………..  chucked loads away ……… 

when we bought our first batch of pcbs 10 flying shark , 20  rastan saga 5 rock n rage and 36 cabs were made ………one was specifically for a customer who had a dedicated pole position put in it and THATS HOW THE PEDASTAL FRONT CABINET CAME TO BE INVENTED IN 1987 to fit a foot pedal at the side INSPIRED BY SEGA HANG ON a unique shaped u/r cabinet..  got  much copied especially by PAC who assembled many of ours but used a wooden CP instead of metal in case they infringed copyright but we never patented it GENERIC CABS WERE BEING MADE BY EVERYBODY SINCE COLOUR CAME OUT IN THE EARLY 80s BUT ALL FLAT FRONTED ( alca electrocoin universal and I remember buying loads old black ash heavy cabs SYSTEM ONE invaders SYSTEM TWO galaxian S THREE ? scramble I think SYSTEM FOUR pacman etc don't recall who made them tho') ….. 

the rastan saga pcbs 18 of them had consecutive serial numbers.. and the game was shown on our sales fliers with rastan saga on screen ………..  they cost an arm and a leg new back then but demand was high and our cabs were a new inivative design never seen till 

@digweed had a scammer few years back sold a sega rally pcb and he used a bid sniper but didn't reckon on someone else also having a sniper bid set up both bid 150 quid for a pcb on 32.00 with seconds to go one came in at 45 ish and those two fist to bid got it split second between them..

went to a garage in some railway arches reckoned it was faulty and he even tried his boards and his mates boards in his machine (which meant he wanted working bits to fix two others by my thoughts ) 

I gave in and let him have a 50% refund at his suggestion ( that's odd if pcb was so bad ??? ) about two weeks later a sega rally twin fully working was advertised for 700 on ebay .. and stated he had a new board specially to get the first side player one working … I went to a house machine repair job not that machine (a pinball) a guy I knew in stoke ) about 10 weeks later turns out he bought it and I looked inside and every pcb in the player 1 stack had 1--1 on it ………….  my markings at that time obviously put straight in ………. t**ser , but £75 was still ok for me £50 would have been ok BUT AWARE NOW SINCE THAT GUY …….. 

Edited by 69er - 11 Feb 2019 at 1:17pm

getready View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getready Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:34am
I had been lusting after your Moonwalker PCB since I saw it listed last weekend -- but my last second bid of £277 was sadly gazumped.

Still a good deal for the winner though, and quite a satisfying afternoon's work to add the caps and touch up the gold on the fingers.

Will keep a look out for your other auctions!   

(Also, sorry to read you have to sell off a lot of your stuff, however that's quite incredible you've owned a lot of the boards from new. Certainly sounds like you've had good use of them over the decades!)

Edited by getready - 11 Feb 2019 at 10:43am
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:13am
Wow, someone sure wants a Robocop in a hurry
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
digweed View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 5:52am
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

I’m going to put some faulty pcbs on eBay this week with pics as they do seem to fetch good money.

If the sales go through smoothly then good idea but always worried about scammer, returned items, claims, etc. 
Wanted: Naomi Naomi Naomi spares, everything considered :)
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Call me jamma jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:48pm
I’m going to put some faulty pcbs on eBay this week with pics as they do seem to fetch good money.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic