Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Toei CM-R14 Wobbly image

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toei CM-R14 Wobbly image
    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
Hiya,

This monitor is from my Taito Field-goal cocktail cab, I think it's a toei cm-r14 crt and it's being naughty.

I can't get the image to be stable no matter what I've do.  The monitor is a 120V one and powered by a transformer block in the bottom of the cab.

Things tried:
* adjust pots on chassis - nb: theres more pots on neck and back of chassis that I haven't adjusted yet (Too scared to reach in for those as theres not much space and I dont know what they do yet either)
* replaced loom
* got a shielded multicore cable for the r,g,b,sync,gnd cables (jamma connector <-> crt)
* added/removed a cable from videoground to ground on jamma connector (no difference on or off this test)

Problem:
It's just constantly wobbling image. On some pcbs its worse than others but not by too much.

Heres a couple of videos I took and stuck together which hopefully show the wobbling I'm trying to describe.  (nb: sorry about crap camera work at the start, I do eventually move the camera closer!)

Do you think this needs the crt, or chassis, or both looking at by a pro? or is there some simple stuff I can investiage?

Cheers,

Johnny
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:02am
disconnect degauss cable
move monitor away from transformer or vice versa

if no change then you have a regulation issue on the chassis which is most likely capacitor related
jww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by gunblade gunblade wrote:

disconnect degauss cable
move monitor away from transformer or vice versa

if no change then you have a regulation issue on the chassis which is most likely capacitor related

Hello Gunblade,
Thank you so much for your advice - you are a superstar!
Moving the transformer further away has sorted the wobbling image out - woo hoo Clap

I've still got a slight bend in the image, but I'll try to make a new video of it and upload it to this thread in the coming days.  Possibly I can sort that out when I can reach the controls which I can't access atm.

I'm super happy, this is great, the image looks so nice and so different to the wobbling image! Brilliant to have such an easy fix!

This resto actually feels very close to being complete now Tongue

Thanks again.
Cheers,

Johnny
jww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:51pm
Here's a short video showing the image all lovely and stable now.

So apart from player2 down control is not working, some artwork needs printing for the control-panels and the final wire dressing, this resto is done - woo hoo Smile

Thanks again Gunblade Thumbs Up

Cheers,

Johnny
jww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:31pm
Hello again,

Looks like I spoke too soon and should've tested further.

The image starts off ok, far better than with the transformer located closer to the monitor, but after a short while, the image starts to look worse.

I'm strugling to explain it, it just looks worse, the colours look not as nice, the image is sort of bleeding/melting slightly.

I looked over the tube/chassis to see if I could see anything obviously wrong like a swollen capacitor - they all looked fine - but I did find a crack/scratch something on the tube neck.

You can't see it in daylight but with a camera flash it shows up as a 1/2 cm line in the neck.  Is this a crack? Could this be causing me my image issues?

Here's a load of photos:

Have (badly) drawn a circle around the thing I mean:

I made a cable to connect the cab to a Phillips CM8833 via scart and the image (on my second Phillips) was mint - couldn't have been happier - and it isnt subject to the same issues.

Would like to hear peoples opinions - Is what I've found a cause of the image problems? or is it nothing?  Should I get the chassis/tube serviced? Should I get a new monitor?

Cheers,

Johnny
IanH View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 3:13am
Hi, if the heaters in the tube are glowing happily I would think the tube is ok, it maybe just a mould mark from when the tube was built but very hard to tell. Id send the chassis off. Caps can look perfect but can be completely dead.
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:11am
caps
jww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 8:19pm
Great! Thank you both for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Is this a service you offer gunblade? Or is it the sort of thing I should do myself?  I can solder but at a very basic caveman level.

Cheers,

Johnny
Stevros View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:08pm
Caps are easy to replace but some chassis had their polarity printed wrong so you need to make sure you check the polarity before swapping them out.

If you’re not confident enough best to send it off to gunblade for a service.

Don’t forget you need to discharge the tube before romoving the chassis.
WANTED Space invaders PCB Please inbox me!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:33pm
Gunblade doesn't work on Toei's because he doesn't have a tube.  I was going to buy him a tube at some point so he could fix my chassis :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic