Skin:

goodbye Retr0bright

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LewisGamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: goodbye Retr0bright
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:50pm
No before, but this was on my counter by a window for a week. Didn’t even go outside. So all you have to do is chuck it next to a window that the sun shines through throughout the day.

The keys were terrible, now looking fantastic! So there you go, you don’t even have to put it outside!
Praise the sun!

Edited by LewisGamer - 19 May 2019 at 8:51pm
Independent games store owner and Organizer of Retro Games Night at the Batcave
UnclearHermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnclearHermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:26am
I’m so going to have to try this. My NES looks like it’s been accompanied in its storage box by chain smoking pixies. My SNES is US, so was beyond saving in the looks department from day one :)
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:31pm
Really interesting video, I will have to dig out a couple of my super yellow snes's
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Zipper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:09pm
Interesting. A few years ago I had a NAC in my conservatory with a very yellow speaker shroud....  I remember moving an ashtray from it, and it left a perfect circle that was a lot more yellow underneath. It evened out over the next few days.
I didn't really think much of it. It never went back to white... but definitely whiter. Similar to Lewisgamer's results with the SNES. 
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:56pm
Looking good, I stuck some snes shells out and the sun hasn't been seen since. LOL
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:16am
Here we go!

Before and after! 3 days in the English ‘sun’

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:47pm
I wonder if I’ll be able to identify UKVACers houses by spotting gardens littered with yellowish white out of date consumer electronics scattered in gardens across the UK on google maps...
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:45pm
The plastic side panel on my bath is interesting. It's ment to be white and the sun can never shine directly on it yet it has yellowed on a section to the left and a section to the right but the middle has remained white.

The only thing I can think of is that the suns reflection from the tiles and the toilet has caused it? It can't be heat as the middle of the panel is still white. There is also a part of the right hand side yellow section in a clear line that has remained white as it is shaded from the posibility of reflected light by a shelf.

I've put a couple of things out on the shed roof so I'll see how they get on.
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:27pm
Yeah that Saturn looks great!

AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

ANDYC, that saturn looks very well now!

UKVaC Slack

‘Put your dummy back and enjoy the forum’ -JB

Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:36pm
ANDYC, that saturn looks very well now!
WTD:       VIRTUA COP 1 SEGA 1994
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:04pm
Day 3. Yellowy brown like a rubber duck dipped in nicotine.

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:54pm
16 hours in the sun (no chemicals)

UKVaC Slack

‘Put your dummy back and enjoy the forum’ -JB

Shun View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:19pm
When we moved house recently we had to chuck away a load of stuff that was sitting in the conservatory as it had faded over the five years that we had lived there. I’ve had tarpoline over my arcade machines since we’ve moved into our new house as my new arcade room is nice big Garden store/lean to/conservatory thing with a plastics roof, just in case the sun fades the machines. I’m currently working on a way to cover them from the sun.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Call me jamma jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:05pm
I used to work in a sports shop many years ago and every sunny day the owner made me pull down the window blind. It was a yellow colour and was supposed to stop the sun from fading the window display. No idea if it ever worked but made the shop look sh*t from the outside!!!
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.
Shun View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:38pm
Yeah, according to the video, each day that you leave the plastics outside in the sun the better the results.
I think he did a comparison on the same piece of plastic showing the difference after 1,2,3 and 4 days etc.

Just keep putting the C64 out in the sun until it looks like it just came out of the factory ??
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Shun Shun wrote:

Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

They can make UV Stabilised plastic so it doesn't change but they just don't bother

Thinking about 2 of the Door Bell boxes, neither have been near direct sunlight or strip light yet they have yellowed, so what does cause it

I think in the video he mentions that heat may be the cause of yellowing and not UV.
Can’t remember exactly what he said without watching it again though.

I think there is something in it being heat, i bought a whirlpool.bath, white plastic and from the last 2 years filling it the area the water goes on to the corner seat part first from tap has yellowed from the hot water. Partner has some shop display m&m figures, she was saying arm has yellowed a bit, pretty sure its been near radiator and old crt monitors get warm

Thanks for posting this matey, may not work on all plastics or maybe some need more time than others but big difference in my C64, thats genuinely just been in sun for 2 days, was better after one day, better still after 2
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:25pm
2 days in Sun only

Before

After

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
deanzor View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:37pm
Same here Flinnster, no change to my DK surround either Ermm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:23pm
Looks pretty good that Andy.
Just bringing in my Dino King surround and it's gone from a 20-a-day smoker's nicotine colour to appliance white!!!

Nope.. it's exactly the same. Maybe it needs coconut oil on it or something.

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic