Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

The arcade in your bedroom!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The arcade in your bedroom!
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:42pm
Just looking through an old C+VG and came across this. Not many of us would ever have imagined when reading this back then we would actually own proper cabs :)

Cab design looks very similar to the Brent Leisure compact.
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:56pm
That is hilarious!!!

Edited by iamjimmi - 21 May 2019 at 10:57pm
thermal_treasure View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermal_treasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:58pm
Reminds me of some of those 'DIY' efforts from the other thread LOL
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:27pm
I remember that article
Seemed less sh*t at the time.

Edited by John Bennett - 21 May 2019 at 11:27pm
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:26am
Ha! I worked with the writer Big smile

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
kidchameleon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidchameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 6:58am
You know what? If one of them came up for sale I bet there would be a scramble for it
digweed View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by kidchameleon kidchameleon wrote:

You know what? If one of them came up for sale I bet there would be a scramble for it

Making one now if someone wants an 'original' cab LOL
Wanted: Viewlix, Chewlix or Namco Noir HD cab (oh and some money to buy them please!?)
Titchgamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titchgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:12am
Wow never knew that was even a thing!
Cool idea at the time though I guess!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:14am
Sad thing is, I'd probably have killed for one of these, back then. What year is the mag from?
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:24am
Originally posted by kidchameleon kidchameleon wrote:

LOLLOL Ya right thereSmile

What year was it from?

To be honest, if that was out in the early 90's, I think that is quite cool, proper cab would cost £400 and this was £199, wired to plug in a PC Engine/Megadrive but also has Jamma connection for real arcade pcb's. That is pretty good to be honest

Newer Boards at £325 but older stuff starting at £30Smile who wouldn't pay that for some real arcade hardware, sooner that for me than a MegaDrive game

People are making worse stuff than this now, If I could of had one of those with Double Dragon I would of been over the moon, only problem no space for it, my brother got the big bedroom, I had to have the box room, I hadn't got no where for my Hi-fi, TV, Video, Satellite, C64, PC later on and other stuff, he had 12ft square room and hardly anything in it apart from Hi-fi, TV, Video and nice comfy chair, when we moved house I told them I'm having bigger room this time, that caused some argumentsLOL so they had to find house with 3 big bedroomsThumbs Up Why just because there a year older they get everything

Available in different Colours too Black, Red, Silver, Wood Veneer so It would of blended in with most bedroom furniture at the time lol

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:31am
I'm pretty sure it was 1989. So yeah a pretty good option for back then.
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:51am
My best mate made a cab very similar to that with a nice big tv in to play SF2 on the super famicom. He paid £160 for sf2 on import the moment it came out and we double sided taped one of these to the cab

Only problem was that when you got a bit over excited you ended up ragging the joystick off the cab then I had to rob some more industrial strengh tape from work

Me and my mate both bought a proper jamma cab around a year or so after that and we've both still got them.
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:57am
Prehistoric Isle and Golden Axe 1989 so that adds up

That makes it even better thenSmile

Who didn't want to replicate the arcade back them, standing up playing games was what it was about, were talking 2 years after double dragon was out, who wouldn't of wanted to be able to play stuff like that at home, even would of been happy with Yie Ar Kung Fu pcb at home if they were like £30, used to go home and play stuff like that on C64 to try and get that arcade gaming at home

Wonder if any have been on ebay over the years and we thought it was just another home made pile of junk

Edited by Bods - 22 May 2019 at 10:59am
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Zipper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:29pm
Thanks for this. I vaguely remember the article and was into my Atari ST at the time. As a 12 yo, I was pouring over every word of C&VG back then. Re-reading each issue until the next came out. Great times! Found a summary of the issue (was Dec '89)...
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:56pm
Was wondering if it was one of the c&vg i have, only have a few but dont remember seeing that cover

Dec issue hey, just the right time for your parents to be shown it and buy for xmas
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:07pm
I had one of these many years ago, it was a nice grey colour and had a metal CP with clips to lower it etc
just had space for a 21" TV and no coin slot
just a Jamma loom. I think i paid around £70 for it when they were sold off at Go Games
Looking for More Space!!
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:20pm
Mention Technical Services. Not the best start with a confusing name like that. Confused
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

I had one of these many years ago, it was a nice grey colour and had a metal CP with clips to lower it etc
just had space for a 21" TV and no coin slot
just a Jamma loom. I think i paid around £70 for it when they were sold off at Go Games

Thats cool, I thought someone here may have had one.
smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:10pm
It looks a bit like a display cabinet, but not enough that you could get it past your missus. 5/10
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:21pm
I remember this back in the day , scart tv's were basically unheard of and that monitor would of cost a fortune , in remember thinking it would of been ace if you had the cash
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic