Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Free Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

[GONE] Elonex PC-433 (486 PC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [GONE] Elonex PC-433 (486 PC)
    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:58pm
Elonex PC-433 Intel 486-DX PC, with matching monitor, keyboard & mouse.

This was 'working' to a point back in summer, but would often fail to boot with some beep codes. Now it powers up but doesn't seem to do anything. It has no HDD as it went pop while testing it in summer.

I'd like it to go to someone who can fix it up (or at least try to). Seems too good to break up for parts and would make a nice DOS machine if it can be saved.

Collection from just outside Oxford.

Edited by minwah - 17 Jan 2020 at 9:52am
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 12:33pm
Gone, pending collection.
Eddhorse View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:01am
Hope it can be saved, nostalgia colour :)
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Eddhorse Eddhorse wrote:

Hope it can be saved, nostalgia colour :)

Yeah, hope so too. It's in really good cosmetic condition. The monitor & keyboard have yellowed a bit but the PC case itself has not.
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:19am

Wish I'd seen it sooners, was looking for old PC, I do have an oldish board but trying to find a case to put them in now is the problem and small case is ideal

Getting quite hard to find now and annoying when you think how many old boards, cards, cables I binned or sold cheap years back

My first PC I built was 486DX33, loved it and even more so when I got 17" monitor, CD Rom and Awe32 soundcard, the roland MT-32 unit is the king though, I still need to get that setup and try some old games out
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Wish I'd seen it sooners, was looking for old PC, I do have an oldish board but trying to find a case to put them in now is the problem and small case is ideal
Getting quite hard to find now and annoying when you think how many old boards, cards, cables I binned or sold cheap years back

Yeah you're right. I was given this one along with a couple of others...I have one of them up and running, a 1996 Pentium 133MHz which is great for the more demanding DOS games but too fast for the older ones.

After that sort of era most of the cases you find are bespoke ones by the PC manufacturers which are generally not very nice.
Aido View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:26am
I've been looking for one of those - yes that exact model or else a 386 with the same case. These were the first PCs I ever used, that was in 1996 in college. 

It wouldn't have suited me to collect from Oxford as I don't live in GB so it would have had to have been international shipping which is obviously problematic especially for the monitor. I know this is all quite bizarre Smile

Edited by Aido - 14 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:28am
That's the problem isn't it, Theme Park was the worst I tried on Later Pentium 2, it's not locked to run at set frequency, so it just runs at the cpu speed I guess, everything was just wizzing around the screen

Alone In The Dark is ok but the Logo and when you kill the creatures, speed up depending on CPU so it's handy having an older spec machine

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Aido Aido wrote:

I've been looking for one of those - yes that exact model or else a 386 with the same case. These were the first PCs I ever used, that was in 1996 in college. 

It wouldn't have suited me to collect from Oxford as I don't live in GB so it would have had to have been international shipping which is obviously problematic especially for the monitor. I know this is all quite bizarre Smile

Sorry you missed out, but I think it would have cost a small fortune to send it all to you!
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

That's the problem isn't it, Theme Park was the worst I tried on Later Pentium 2, it's not locked to run at set frequency, so it just runs at the cpu speed I guess, everything was just wizzing around the screen

Alone In The Dark is ok but the Logo and when you kill the creatures, speed up depending on CPU so it's handy having an older spec machine

Most of the games I like run ok at 133MHz but the main one that doesn't is Elite Plus which runs crazy fast. One of the 'slowdown' programs works to a degree but it isn't ideal.
Aido View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:56pm
I'll continue to keep an eye out, I already have an Elonex 386 25 (rescued from a skip) but it is an older one in a different case. I don't have an original monitor for it and it has stopped working now in any case (HDD failure and possibly other issues) 

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:18pm
That's a shame Aido

I could of pulled machines like this out of the local recycle place every week years ago but you couldn't give the stuff away back then, such a shame how many have ended up scrapped, wish I'd had a Warehouse I could of filled with old computers, consoles, TV's and Hi-Fi stuff.

If I see any of those make for sale I'll let you know, I'm happy with generic ones like we used to build up and still have some oldish boards, just want small AT case to put them in. 
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:27pm
Woah, that brings back memories! I had to take out a bank loan to get my first PC (386SX think it was).

The boot issue could just be the BIOS/CMOS battery. More than likely gone flat after all these years.
LewisGamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:57pm
I can remember playing C&C on that very machine over direct dial up connection haha. My Mate's mum would sometime answer the phone, and you could hear her talking over the modem loud speaker as we were trying to play a game.

Fun times!
Ello!
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

The boot issue could just be the BIOS/CMOS battery. More than likely gone flat after all these years.

It's not that, although that is an issue as well. It used to display stuff on the screen and report the RTC problem due to flat battery. It has an RTC chip with internal battery but can be modded with an external CR2032.
jimmerd View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:43pm
I had an Elonex 386 SX16 desktop around 1993/4ish that was purchased used from a local business. 
Quite a tidy little machine, I believe they saved some space by using custom designed bits and bobs such as motherboard and video card (low profile?). It sounded like a space craft during power up Tongue
Still huge in size by todays standards, but you don't see them often for sale online.

Edited by jimmerd - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:57pm
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by jimmerd jimmerd wrote:

I had an Elonex 386 SX16 desktop around 1993/4ish that was purchased used from a local business. 
Quite a tidy little machine, I believe they saved some space by using custom designed bits and bobs such as motherboard and video card (low profile?). It sounded like a space craft during power up Tongue
Still huge in size by todays standards, but you don't see them often for sale online.

It's an unusual motherboard yes, quite small and has a daughter board which sits vertically with the CPU etc on. Video is on board.
tyke View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:08pm
Big thanks to Steve for the very kind freebie. I’ve been meaning to get a dedicated 486 setup for pure DOS gaming for ages and this was too good to miss. The insides of this machine were like new, all shiny and zero dust or dirt.

Anyway on with the fix.. After reseating the main cpu daughter board the machine started to post, the above mentioned nvram time coder chip had sadly run out of juice which was stopping the machine from getting any further. A quick dremel later and I had a CR2032 wired up bringing new life to the machine again.

With no spare IDE hard drive to hand I have gone for a CF solution for now, a fresh copy of DOS 6.2 installed and I can confirm it’s all working perfectly. A hard drive has been ordered along with a Sound Blaster AWE64 and a DX2 66 to pimp up the wee little beast.

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:59pm
Nice one, glad its gone to good home and back working

Much prefer old pc than console myself

Have a Pentium 3 setup with awe64 and creative dxr3 dvd card, great for most games. Have another older mini pc i was hoping psu was faulty as its clicking but its motherboard, little patroit one i think. Then and old intel motherboard but need AT case, used to have slim ones with riser card but cant find much else than full size towers now or people wanting stupid money. Other option i guess is make something

Chucked all my old AT pc psu's and old cables years back, so annoying. Would love an old AT one in black to be honest

Still need to setup my memotech system yet too. Space and time is main issue
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 12:04am
DB50XG and/or MT32 will get the best out of the midi music.

Edited by John Bennett - 19 Jan 2020 at 12:05am
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic