Skin:

Dino King Jamma Conversion Monitor Blur

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Flinnster View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dino King Jamma Conversion Monitor Blur
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:47pm
I've honestly never had any issues with just using the standard monitor cable with 15 pin d-sub on end (or getting one / remaking one). That's on 8 cabs so far..

What's the state of the jamma harness on that - an old one or something new?

For the video ground, I usually don't bridge it within the cab, so the monitor ground always goes to the monitor ground pin on the jamma edge.
This is because I have some pcbs that need it (only boots if I recall), but the vast majority dont.
I have made a little short jamma adaptor that bridges the pins just for use when I'm running those pcbs.

Edited by Flinnster - 14 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
SuperGoataku View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:03pm
Hi,
I had another fiddle earlier and got a nice clear picture for a short time. It is the video ground causing issues. My wiring is a shambles, so I'm going to tidy it up and do it properly.
If that still proves intermittent, I'll probably go down the route muddy describes above.
I'll update here when things are sorted. Thanks for all your advice   
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 10:01am
Sync can be a pain with these sometimes. Try using the H sync instead of V sync pin, or tie both together and see if that's better. You can do it while it's running.

I had this a few times using the original cable and linking off from the VGA connector, which I why I always cut it and soldered instead whenever I converted them but that doesn't seem to be a problem for other people who've converted them.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:07pm
Is ground from your jamma harness connected to ground on your switching power supply?

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:20pm
Thanks for the replies. I've had another go this evening, connecting pin 14 to ground at 2. No change.
Stuck on King of Air board, even worse.
Another thing popped up, none of my buttons or joystick work. So I'm guessing this may be related to a possible ground issue?
Speaker works fine.
https://youtu.be/PTshdmqRpag
r-type View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by gunblade gunblade wrote:

looks like video ground to me

That was my initial suspicion too, but thought checking the sync pots would be a bit easier at first. Doesn't look like it's easy from where those pots are located!!!

mozie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:34pm
Thats true, could try connecting pin 14 to a ground on either end of loom and see does it fix it 
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:08am
looks like video ground to me
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:29am
Can you upload a video somewhere like youtube and link it here? Would make it easier to diagnose what's going on.

15khz should be coming out of the RGB-Pi image yes. But in these cases it's often good to have another cheapo test pcb like a pandoras box or a World Cup 90.

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
I did initially remove the pins from the Jamma connector but they were too big for the breakout board.
The RGB-pi logo is scrolling diagonally as it should. The rest of the image is static.
The 15/31khz thing is where I get a little lost. VGA is 31khz yes? And my RGB-Pi is outputting at 15khz and standard resolution? I need to do a bit more reading.
Thanks for the pics and advice, much appreciated. I have a tweak later if I can find a suitable tool.
Ross
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:47am

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:31am
The pins are just those that are normally within the white molex-y connector you get on any newly made JAMMA harnesses. Just hook them out of the white block using a jewelers flat screwdriver and you're sorted. If you chopped that connector off... oops, too late! Confused

And yeah, looks to me your vert sync is out. Is that image rolling?
Also you are running standard res arent you? VGA 31khz absolutely won't help the stock monitors.

Controls can be a little bit of a bitch I'm afraid - get a plastic tool as a metal screwdriver can easily bend the pots back.. then you need to pull the monitor out and fix everything on a bench.
Pics of what you're dealing with below.. the very bottom showing the very limited access slot under the monitor.

Edited by Flinnster - 13 Feb 2020 at 12:45am

penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:28pm
Pots are on front of monitor - easiest way to adjust them is to remove the whole plastic front shroud otherwise you can't get at some of the pots with a trimming tool..

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a tweak tomorrow and see how i get on. Will update here too for future ref.
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
Pretty sure adjusting your pots will fix that. That's how mine looked at first until done.
LewisGamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:48pm
Might be that, also, in some cases connecting H&V sync together can affect certain signals.
Ello!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by r-type r-type wrote:

Have you adjusted the sync pot on the monitor?

No, i didnt even think about that. I assumed it was probably something to do with my dodgy wiring.
Is the sync pot on the monitor regulation board? Is it V.Hold?
r-type View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote r-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:26pm
Have you adjusted the sync pot on the monitor?
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
Hi there,

Almost finished with the wiring for my Dino King conversion. First time doing something like this so its been a fun learning curve.
A little history - The DK came from Muddy, as will the art work. The Jamma harness is the one that Arcade World sell, as is the power supply.
I've been doing bits and pieces when i get time. Yesterday i managed to get the monitor connected. 
I have used a breakout board as recommended by Flinnster in Muddys conversion thread (http://www.ukvac.com/forum/how-to-jamma-convert-a-sega-dinosaur-king_topic348568.html). 
So the R,G,B, V-sync, and ground. I see from his picture he uses tiny pins for the connectors into the VGA breakout board. I would like to use these to, as i have just shoved the wires in the screw down holes at present, which i know isn't best practice. 
What is the name of these pin type connectors? Are they just some sort of tiny molex?
Anyhow, after firing it all up yesterday, this is the image i got.

Any info on the cause and a possible cure would be greatly appreciated. 
Cheers,
Ross
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic