Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Tech Q - MVS-1 in a lordsvale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech Q - MVS-1 in a lordsvale
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:39am
Quick question guys.

I have put a MV1 (the one with the joypad ports on it) into a lordsvale cab to replace the 4-slot.

It works, but I read somewhere it can cause damage to the sound over time. Is this right?

Should I be putting a jamma to mvs converter such as jnx big red in between? If so has anyone got one going spare?

Just slightly confused as the mv1 is stereo out.

Help appreciated in advance.
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:49am
To add to this, genuine carts have worked fine in the MV1 in the lordsvale,

neosd and 161-in-1 is a bit temperamental and can cause errors.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:49am
Yes use an adaptor. Multi slots are wired differently. Pinout available on hardMVS.

I have a jamma adaptor for my 6-slot cab so that I can play jamma PCBs safely
Gamelife00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamelife00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
Could someone please confirm if running a 1slot this way (set to mono on the board) is actually causing damage to it. Or is it only of you were to put the 1slot into stereo?
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:03pm
Multi slot is not jamma and so it's meant to damage the audio if running jamma on multi slot wiring, whether you have it on mono/stereo. It's only stereo if you connect up the extra "wire" to the "connection" at the front, separate from the finger board. Apologises, can't think of the correct terminology. Check the pinout for multi slot harness and you will see a couple of audio pins in different places to standard jamma
thegreathopper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:16pm
When I had an electro coin Neo geo cab it was wired for stereo and came fitted with a stereo 6 slot, I would assume and am pretty sure your 4 slot was also stereo unless modified.

So you should use the 1 slot switched to stereo and no need for a adaptor. That is what the mono - stereo switch is for.

It switched from Jamma (mono) to MVS (stereo) 

Try it with the volume turned down, you will soon know if it’s in stereo as you will hear the music pan left to right.

Edited by thegreathopper - 25 Mar 2020 at 2:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamelife00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:29pm
From what I've read an MVS sound is wired in series and Jamma in parallel, I don't know what this means so even flicking between mono/stereo in the board could kill the audio over time.
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm
I seem to remember that all MVS multis are wired for MVS and Stereo, but all the single slots are Jamma safe.
so you should be ok, and may even get stereo over the Jamma connector from the MV1.
Looking for More Space!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamelife00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:50pm
That's the issue though,single slots are Jamma safe but not MVS safe
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:09pm
Ah yes good point, get the adapter that converts your MVS wired cab to Jamma, and you are set for everything.
Looking for More Space!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamelife00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm
If the wiring is wrong would there be a way to check the board in running? I've heard audio amp chips can get very hot, I've checked all.mine and they seem fine? Just wondering what the actual damage is exactly
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:26pm
Just a thanks all for the comments , have preordered the JNX Big Red Jamma to MVS to be safe.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamelife00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm
I've actually just checked the wiring in the cab and wondered if anyone knows whether it's in series or parallel? So both speakers look to be 8ohm. The left speaker (left connector is wired to PIN L , the right speaker (left connector) is wired to PIN 10. And a wire runs between both speakers (connected to both right connectors of each speaker). There's also a wire coming off PIN 11 (mono audio +) but not sure where this goes. Hope that makes sense :)                    

Edited by Gamelife00 - 25 Mar 2020 at 10:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic