Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:30pm
Next was to recover the Electrohome G05 - 802 black and white vector monitor from storage and remove the HV cage and deflection board for service

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:23pm
Re-assembled coin door and fitted to cabinet

Sadly I don't have matching coin return flaps - one has a leatherette like texture that was on the cab when purchased. I acquired a smooth repro from another collector. You'd have to be on your knees to see it though.

Repro Atari logo on aluminium mount plate, installed using masking tape guide markers. 3M self adhesive backing

It does look black in the flesh, the camera flash makes it look navy Blue

New cam lock

Edited by namfreak - 20 Oct 2020 at 9:26pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
I had acquired a repro marquee made by This Old Game

Mr original one (bottom) was OK but has the odd chip of paint which results in light bleed. I thought I'd trial fit the repro (top)

Notwithstanding the shadow on the text is alot more purple, the repro loses alot of fine detail and also looked too "new"

Needless to say I eventually went with the original marquee

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm
And could then replace the speaker / marquee light / blacklight assembly back into the cabinet. Quite a good idea by Atari - a complete assembly that slides in and out for maintenance and repair

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:01pm
Painted metalwork now had 7 days curing time, I couid then re-fit the speaker grille

As I had to drill out the original pop rivets I replaced with 5mm dia x 12mm long pop rivets

Haves1979 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haves1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:57pm
QUOTE=namfreak]
Originally posted by Haves1979 Haves1979 wrote:

Nitromors definitely isnt as effective as it used to be. Going to be fantastic when completed!

Can I ask what the bike on your wall with the mag wheels is?

It's a 1985 Raleigh Vektar
I posted about it on J+ years ago, but there's a brief discussion about it here where someone else has spotted it in the background

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20201018213350&KW=vektar

Do an advanced search for "vektar" and member name "namfreak" and "any date"

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, looked familiar and couldn't place it but I remember a local lad had one. Very tomorrows world and a lot snazzier than the blue Raleigh burner I had..

Edited by Haves1979 - 20 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
Next was to start re-fitting the wiring harness that I had previously cleaned to the cabinet. Originally Atari had used staples to secure long cable tie tails to the inside of the cabinet.

I ditched the staples idea and went for 19mm x 19mm self adhesive cable tie mounts

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by itruk itruk wrote:

Is the black vinyl, the pica stuff? that has a slight texture to it?

If you, could you link me in the direction as to where you bought it from please? I have a few cabinets that need touching up in areas :)

Thanks.

Yes Pica Black vinyl has a slight grain texture. I'm 99% sure it came from Arcade Renovations years ago.
I can check when I'm next in the loft to read the shipping label

My Dragon's lair had a slightly coarser grain - what you might call a leatherette texture. That stuff was called Morrocco Black

And then there is a very coarse leather like texture (almost like hide) that is called Bison Black
qjuk View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:15pm
This seems to be coming along really nice. Doing the paint jobs can take a while but so worth it when you see the end results.

Keep up the good work Thumbs Up
Wanted: Tournament Arkanoid original PCB.
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:05pm
Is the black vinyl, the pica stuff? that has a slight texture to it?

If you, could you link me in the direction as to where you bought it from please? I have a few cabinets that need touching up in areas :)

Thanks.
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:56pm
Whilst the paint was hardening on the metal work I started cleaning the inner sides of the cabinet.

I couldn't work out if it was careless overspray from a previous touch up job or original, but there was spray paint on the lower faces of the inner cabinet on top of the original black vinyl 

I marked a line about half way up with masking tape and cleaned the paint off with surgical spirit

The upper sides were left as matt black paint as some of this area is visible through the bezel during gameplay and would benefit being left as is to blend in with the matt black cardboard background

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:44pm
Followed by minimum 4 coats on Plastikote Satin Black
I do thin and even coats to build up to a deep solid colour, and flat down with wet and dry paper between coats to give a nice finish free of dust particles etc trapped in the paint

I find the finished metalwork needs to be left for around 7 days for the paint to harden. Start handling it too soon and finger prints and finger nails starts to mark the fresh paint

Edited by namfreak - 18 Oct 2020 at 9:45pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:39pm
My tried and trusted finish for metalwork is "Plastikote"
First two coats of grey primer

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Haves1979 Haves1979 wrote:

Nitromors definitely isnt as effective as it used to be. Going to be fantastic when completed!

It's a 1985 Raleigh Vektar
I posted about it on J+ years ago, but there's a brief discussion about it here where someone else has spotted it in the background

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20201018213350&KW=vektar

Do an advanced search for "vektar" and member name "namfreak" and "any date"

Edited by namfreak - 18 Oct 2020 at 9:35pm
Haves1979 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haves1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:06pm

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
The plastic coin slot and coin return flap bezels had been sprayed over in the past when someone tried to "refresh" the coin door

They just looked plain wrong - thick black glossy paint over them

I found I could get this of with surgical spirit and lost of rubbing with paper towels and eventually using a Dremel tool with a rotating nylon brush to get into the "texture" of the plastic mouldings

Eventually got the paint off and back to the original bare plastic with a satin black finish

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:52pm
The Nitromors didn't quite obtain the clean bare metal on all the components that I've found in the past - some of the paint and old control panel overlay adhesive was just too stubborn

So off it went to my shotblasting guy for a going over with aluminium oxide grit to clean off all old coatings and give me clean bare metal ready for a uniform re-finish

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Next was to start on the metalwork

The control panel fitted to the cabinet before disassembly was a little bent - it had a bad curve in it's upper edge. I had took the decision way back then to source a straight one for use in the restoration

This was one of my many spare parts purchases in the 2 years prior to staring the restoration

I stripped the old decal and put it with all the other metalwork (marquee rails, speaker grille coin door) for stripping the old finish with Nitromors pant stripper

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:08pm
At this stage I could then get the completed cabinet onto the sack barrow and place the empty shell back into the gamesroom

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:06pm
And repeat for LH panel..........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic