Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Super Pang - Booting to red screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Pang - Booting to red screen
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:10pm
Hi All,

Bought a fully working Super Pang board off here but plugged it in and after a brief burning smell which made me turn it off. Checked everything was absolutely fine connection wise. Assume monitor issue. Plugged in again and screen just boots to red.

Checked other boards and machine is working fine.

Does anyone know what causes it to boot to red and what the fix is?

Thanks

Dave
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:55pm
Could be anything Dave , just solid red screen would suggest the program is nit running. I would assume burning smell will be a trace somewhere the little sods are hard to see sometimes (especially if you have crappy eyes like me ! Lol).

I would normally suggest check roms ect but if you smelt burning then its going to be that.

Can you return the board ? But again difficult as it may have worked when they sold it.

Did you check voltages on 5v line ??

Dave

Edited by TheDaddy - 22 Feb 2021 at 9:56pm
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
davey d View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:50am
These pcb have a kabuki processor, that when the battery in it dies, the board stops working.

Fixing that issue is pretty easy in the grand scheme of board repairs, but since there was a burning smell it could be something else
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:40am
Yeah the pcb was sold desuicided, so I suspect this is something else.
Looking at it first, I noticed it was in an MVS U4 cab.. so I wondered if any wiring audio pin differences for MVS multiboards might have done something odd specifically with mitchell/capcom hardware. Officially the manuals say the extra pins are unused on the pcb.
But the OP says the cab is wired jamma.

Edited by Flinnster - 23 Feb 2021 at 12:08pm

WTD: Rolling Thunder PCB
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
neoretro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Yeah the pcb was sold desuicided, so I suspect this is something else.
Looking at it first, I noticed it was in an MVS U4 cab.. so I wondered if any wiring audio pin differences for MVS multiboards might have done something odd specifically with mitchell/capcom hardware. Officially the manuals say the extra pins are unused on the pcb.
But the OP says the cab is wired jamma.

Yep definitely Jamma wired. It’s the only one I trust with my Rainbow Island board as it’s indoors
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic