ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega Naomi universal monitor issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega Naomi universal monitor issue
    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:23pm
I had a Naomi universal delivered today, which was working before being shipped.

Now when I turn it on I get horizontal lines which then fade and the screen stays blank.

Is anyone able to offer an troubleshooting help please?

I’ve tried a Dreamcast into the vga port in case it was the Naomi motherboard and that does the same thing.

Thanks a lot for any help
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:27pm
reseat the neck card and all connectors to the chassis- you will need to take the plastic cover off the back of the cab
locate screen volts adjustment pot on flyback and turn anti clockwise a small amount
devtty0 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
On my naomi, it gets a blank screen when I first turn it on, if I leave it on for a short while and then power cycle it, I see a screen which quickly fades to black.

If I then leave it on a bit longer, if I power cycle again, the picture comes up and stays on.

Dont know whats happening, but it at least works. Caps maybe? 

There is also a fizzing sound from the annode, which sounds like its fizzing out when it fades to back, and stays when the picture stays. 
wanted :
sega model 3 racing games
namco system 22 racing games
model 3 to naomi psu adapter
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm
I would say check the seating of all the cables related to the monitor, including the remote board that is in the control panel area, but you will need to remove the screen surround to access that I think from memory.

Something could have rattled loose during transport.

Also with the rear plastic surround off when the screen goes blank have a look to see if its losing neck glow.
Rob_bob_2k6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:45pm
I’ve done than and now get the horizontal white lines on a grey screen but it doesn’t fade it stays on the screen.
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:49pm
As mentioned by DevTTY the Naomi MB's sometimes take a while to boot, if you leave it for a while do you hear anything coming our of the speakers, pretty sure they have a boot up sound.

If you could stick a picture up of what your seeing that might help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:55pm
The game is playing out of the speakers, so is def in game.

Neck doesn't ever seem to glow all that bright.

Im taking the surround off now to check connections there.

I had already reseated the cables on the chassis.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:04pm
Taken the control panel off, nothing seemed lose. Seated a few bits and no difference.
jinq-sea View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
Is the ground wire connected on the neck card?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
I can’t see anything lose that looks like it
jinq-sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Upload some pics with the back off - might be sensible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:31pm
Heres on of the neck card whilst running:
jinq-sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:37pm
Chassis too would help if you can Smile

Edited by jinq-sea - 09 Sep 2021 at 3:37pm
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
did you turn the gain up or down?
it looks like you turned it up
-Selling soon:
-RECENT SOLD- DAYTONA 2 TWIN // NNC / KOR66 / SEGA RALLY 3 DX / VC2 / HOTD / ASTEROIDS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:44pm
Velyks View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velyks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm
You can see the retrace lines, I think your screen volts are up way too high. To lower them it should be the knob/dial labeled "SCREEN" on the back of the flyback.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
Would that be anti clockwise?
jinq-sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:08pm
It really does look like the screen volts are turned right up yes! Screen pot on the flyback - turn it a little anticlockwise. Gunblade (who knows a sh*tload about monitors) suggested this above. Try it :thumb:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob_bob_2k6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 4:09pm
It’s already as far as it will go anti clockwise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic