Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Toshiba Tri-Sync Monitor Frazzled?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toshiba Tri-Sync Monitor Frazzled?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:46pm
I bought a NOS New Net City from g60hot a few months ago. Essentially never used.

Never got around to trying it properly until today. Played for 1 hour and was working grand with my cps2 setup.

At which point the screen flickered crazy horizontal making a weird noise (I thought it was the game). The screen then shrunk to the middle vertical 3rd of the screen.

At which point I turned it off thinking just a fault.

Turned back on, and got an intermittent single red line down the middle, which turned into a bright white line down the middle.

At which point I turned off again and smelled BURNING. (won't turn it on again).

Does anyone have an idea what happened?

I haven't a clue how to start even safely getting my monitor out for repair. Is there anyone on here who can fix?

Absolutely gutted really.. I was so happy playing it.. The quality of the image of the Toshiba tri sync was insanely good. I only knew her for an hour :-(

Thanks in advance
Adam
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:59am
I am by no means an expert but that sounds like horizontal collapse. Could be a number of things but should be fixable.

Strange as it's hardly used.. maybe a dry joint but the burning smell indicates a component is not happy.

Hopefully one of the monitor gurus will know more, but it'll probably mean you'll have to remove the chassis and send off for repair.

..or take your chances on a replacement chassis from Yaton..
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:17am
this is fatal on toshiba, the flyback has failed- they all fail and when they do many more components short. very expensive job 
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:35am
As the chuckle bros. would say

Oh dear oh dear

What ballpark is" very expensive" gunblade?

Edited by Amb47uk - 09 Jun 2019 at 7:37am
Chunksin View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:48am
Yanton has some tosh chassis in stock that should be compatible if you get stuck with the repair: link
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
probably talking around £150 or even more

Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 2:38pm
Thanks for responding guys, gonna inquire how to safely remove the chassis over at arcade otaku, then send off to gunblade for the fix.

Sh*t happens!
obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
Just to be clear:

Vertical line = bad flyback
Horizontal line = bad vertical amp ic usually caused by bad capacitors.

I really couldn't read if it was vertical or horizontal, but gunblade knows his stuff.
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 11:22am
Thanks, yeah it was a vertical line down the middle. Must be fly back.

Ive ordered the chassis you linked to Chunkskin, will get that serviced before replacing. I presume this is a tri-sync chassis?

In time will get my busted chassis sorted too.

For a total noob like me, it all sounds scary removing the chassis (not damaging the tube / or even dying ha).. But I suppose I must learn by doing.

Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:11pm
Yes, it's a tri-sync chassis.  I got a replacement chassis for my Tosh PF from Yaton and it works fine - just needed a bit of tweaking to get a really nice picture.

There's a few slight variations on these chassis, but they are all compatible.  Some have more pots on the actual chassis to adjust the picture, but most I've seen are this type with everything done on the remote board.

There are hidden menus on these too - you can get a modded remote board to access the extra menus if you find you need it.
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:44pm
If you need a hand swapping the chassis over let me know, I can pop over and help, I can also sort any convergence issues if you get any
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 7:28pm
Thanks Rich, that would be amazing. Im not sure I would know where to start haha. 

Might be a couple of months before my chassis arrives from china and gunblade can service it too, but I'll let you know.

Im slowly learning with all this ;-)

tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:59pm
Last time I bought something from Yaton it turned up in around a week (in fact I think it might've been under a week), so you should see it a lot sooner than a couple of months!
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:36pm
Thanks... Im just hoping it is not tampered with before I send it to gunblade.

He's going to get me some photos apparently.
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:17pm
Be interesting to know if the flyback you get on the replacement chassis is the same as the knackered one on your existing chassis..

As the chassis you've got is so new it might be better to just swap over the flyback?

I have a dodgy chassis that gave a few intermittent faults that might be worth sorting as it's newer than the ones Yaton has for sale.
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic