ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

tweezer style ic desolder gun ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tweezer style ic desolder gun ?
    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:04pm
hi guys
im looking for a decent tweezer style desoldering iron

the type you can slot down the side of ic's and heat all the legs at once

i think on older boards this would be an easier way to remove the old ic's without damaging the trhough holes on multi layered boards

thanks

dave
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
I find that a good hot air station in the right hands has more uses than just a tweezer.  
dave11674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:37pm
yeah i have hot air, thos its down at my other property with all its adapters too lol
id still like to get my hands on the tweezer style iron

thanks

dave
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:25pm
One issue is that you might get the IC out, but all the holes will be flooded with solder, so you'll still have to suck it out.
Can't say I've tried such a tool though - I use a Weller solder sucker station and it still takes me AAAGES to remove devices, especially intact.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
dave11674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:40pm
Yeah im ok with solder braid
I reflood with good solder and plenty of flux and it mops up nicely :)

Thanks

Dave
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:54pm
I had one of those Weller stations, it doesn't help they're 30 odd years old but they aren't great. You need to get yourself a Hakko John, they need constant cleaning but they remove the solder / chips fairly easily and quickly which means less heat on the pcb.

You can tell when someone has used hot air on a dip chip, there's always blister marks and discolouration on the pcb. Hot air should only be used for surface mount stuff imo.

I think tweezers that size would have the same problem of heating the board for too long.
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:09pm
Funny you should say that, my dad acquired a Hakko and it was extremely impressive, so I do need to get one!

The Weller is the same concept as the Hakko (heated tip with a vacuum pump) and probably £2000 new (10 years old now), but it never seems to suck the solder out 100%, so you have to wiggle things around loads to free them without damage. It's not mine anyway, so I do need a Hakko. 

http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
dave11674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:22am
the tweezer soldering iron you would not in theory have to touch the board, basically put the 2 prongs heated directly on the legs of the chip till solder is motlern and lift the chip out

any ideas where to get one guys ?

thanks

dave
dave11674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:27am
the hakko fr300 at 5-600 can do one lol
wow
dave11674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave11674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:31am
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Household-Electric-Soldering-Iron-Lighting-Solder-Gun-Set-220-240V-100W-X2T3/332854187171?hash=item4d7fa7d4a3:g:oLoAAOSwL4tb0th~

may be mould that tip so it fits around teh legs of teh ic's !!

just a thought

dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic