ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

WTB Paperboy PCB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Paperboy PCB
    Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:44pm
I know, I know. Sadly it looks like my board is beyond saving due to corrosion. Hugely disappointing as the cab has buffed up beautifully.

Sooo; does anyone have a spare (ideally) working Paperboy PCB they might be willing to let go, or leads on one for sale?
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:00pm
How bad is corrosion ? These are like hens teeth as far as I am aware, Not going be easy.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:27pm
Which board has corrosion?  Both CPU and Video? 

They are stupidly expensive these days.  I reckon got to be £400-500 for a working boardset

Edited by Purity - 14 Sep 2021 at 1:29pm
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:04pm
wishing i'd bought a few spares of em now and champ sprint

only problem was I didn't have a endless money pot to buy em back in the cheaper days either
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
patloz View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm
As Ben states is it one or both PCB that have had it?

I think I have one or two which I picked up when I got 720 as the boards are the same.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by patloz patloz wrote:

I think I have one or two which I picked up when I got 720 as the boards are the same.

I don't think 720 boards are the same fella
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

Arent they both System2?

Intrestingly just looked on System16 and they have info on there of a couple of prototypes on the same hardware, Accelerator and Gremlins.

patloz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

I will need to check but pretty sure I have a Paperboy CPU PCB in 720 right now, Mark Haysman changed the slapstick to 720  when he was repairing a number of PCB for me and we are up and running.

I have read the Video PCB on APB and 720 are different visually from Paperboy and Champ sprint but I have read the video PCB from all system II are interchangeable but haven't tried it myself.

Link from KLOV here discussing the same thing:

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 3:26pm
It looks from that thread that the CPU boards are the same, although Champ Sprint vs Paperboy needs additional chips e.g. the Speech chip

The video boards are different Champ Sprint/Paperboy Vs 720//APB.  720/APB requires additional eproms space which the Paperboy board does not have
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:43am
Didnt know that either, i thought they were all same

Have two 720 board sets
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
prof peach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:50pm
Thanks for all the ideas guys, gives me a shred of hope. I've been after another Paperboy since I sold mine from the Lass O'Gowrie many years back, so when one came up in a raid earlier this year I jumped on it. Cab is all restored, handles rechromed and looking gorgeous. Board, however was another matter. 

I sent it to Mark Haisman, who has pretty much declared it beyond economic saving. Gere's what he made of it;

"Ok, I decided to make a start tonight, to strip it down and start cleaning the IC legs. Every ROM I pulled had at least 1 leg that has disintegrated. That’s not a major issue, just an expensive one.

However, the killer is the T-11 is also rusted away, see photo. This is how it came out. I’ve tried to clean what’s left of the legs up, so they can be soldered on to in an attempt to rescue it, but they’ve just disintegrated further.

This CPU is one of the hardest to get hold of. I’ve got no spares. You can sometimes get spares out of the US, but the cost is in excess of £100.00 each, and there’s no guarantee they will work in these boards, as the ones used on these boards are all marked Atari.

I think it is prudent to stop here and call it a day. Even if I did source another CPU, it looks like it’s going to need every ROM, and associated socket replacing. That’s doable, but then there’s the T-11 to replace, and potentially the RAM, POKEYs and anything else that may have succumb to the corrosion. It’s clearly been stored in the damp for a long while.

I'll post pics when I get it back. Ideas welcome!!
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:33pm
If the roms are rusted the sockets will need to be replaced as well (Well i do anyway), I assume this is also where the expense is coming from. Very time consuming. The CPU is the killer again , Sometimes you can file it back and get a good contact but its a hell of a task. 

Who ever doing it is being honest and I agree with his comments. A shame but hey thats the arcade world i suppose.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm
Oh I've no doubt Mark is giving a straight read on it. But it does still leave me a Paperboy headache.
patloz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:19pm
I have NOS T-11 CPU in stock but it depends if the rest of the PCB is worth saving.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:28pm
Thanks Patrick, let me get some pics up and I'll be welcoming all and any views on the salvageability!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:59pm
OK so your CPU board is in a bad state.  How about the video board?

Patloz is your man for T11 CPU's

The other costly chips might be the speech chip if that's in a bad state, and the pokeys

Edited by Purity - 15 Sep 2021 at 11:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:24pm
Great tips. I'll be back with photos this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic