Atari System 2 Championship Sprint

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Purity said:
Given the state this was in you've done a stirling job. I particularly like the formica and sideart work. It even inspired me to get my ass in gear with the Baby Pac.

Top job! Needs to be moved to restoration showcase immediately

You havent done the baby pac yet ben? We were talking about the whole formica thing a long time ago, it was with your help that I decided to go down this route.
smiley1.gif
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Steve said:
That looks brilliant!!! Well done.
Maybe I can tap you up for some advice once I get a chance to look at mine.
I has no power brick and the game pcb is wired to a switcher.

Keep up the good work and it was well worth it in the end.

Next time you have a meet steve hopefully I can pop up and we'll have a good look at it. Im quite well versed on putting it together with this type of power brick. I know James and Luke are very clued up on going down the switcher for all route. Those old power bricks are pretty damn scarce on these shores these days!
 

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
strykr said:
Purity said:
Given the state this was in you've done a stirling job. I particularly like the formica and sideart work. It even inspired me to get my ass in gear with the Baby Pac.

Top job! Needs to be moved to restoration showcase immediately

You havent done the baby pac yet ben? We were talking about the whole formica thing a long time ago, it was with your help that I decided to go down this route.
smiley1.gif

Yea, the outside is done now, just need to clean up some of the internals and put it back together. Not far off now I reckon
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Purity said:
strykr said:
Purity said:
Given the state this was in you've done a stirling job. I particularly like the formica and sideart work. It even inspired me to get my ass in gear with the Baby Pac.

Top job! Needs to be moved to restoration showcase immediately

You havent done the baby pac yet ben? We were talking about the whole formica thing a long time ago, it was with your help that I decided to go down this route.
smiley1.gif

Yea, the outside is done now, just need to clean up some of the internals and put it back together. Not far off now I reckon

Look forward to seeing it.
 

muddymusic

The Repro Guy. Art and Parts supplier
Staff member
vacBacker
Feedback
52 (100%)
Credits
2,254CR
Excellent work buddy. Really pleased to see this all done and running nicely, and nice write up to finish the journey.
 

david_orton_2000

Green Mario
vacBacker
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
344CR
Great work Rich on such an epic major resto!
You stuck it out with the ups and downs and reached out for help (this is something most of us have to do thesedays) when you needed to.

Must say...you're DIY skills are legendary!!!!

Well done for sticking it out through the whole thing, I bet you learned loads. ;-)

Cheers,
DaveO.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
david_orton_2000 said:
Great work Rich on such an epic major resto!
You stuck it out with the ups and downs and reached out for help (this is something most of us have to do thesedays) when you needed to.

Must say...you're DIY skills are legendary!!!!

Well done for sticking it out through the whole thing, I bet you learned loads. ;-)

Cheers,
DaveO.

I learned never to do one like this again
smiley36.gif


/if a tempest cabaret shell came up i'd be straight on the pm
smiley9.gif
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Eeproms gone off to ben to check the revision, board is stamped with A I need rev C

Felt a bit weird finally getting the game up and running then having to disable it!



Board is naked!

 
G

Guests

Guest
Wow, you had your work cut out on this one Rich.

Top job sir, proper resto and bloody good game to boot!

Love it!!
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
I received the rev 3 champ sprint roms back from ben and also had some help from Cmonkey so thanks fellas.

I'm getting graphics errors on two of the tracks though which is annoying so need to try and figure that out if anyone has any ideas!

Anyway, from the beginning i've always wanted to be able to switch between Champ Sprint and Paperboy, even though I think i've probably only ever played the arcade version maybe once my whole life! Used to play it on the CPC 464 a lot though. The System 2 cab can be wired in various ways all resulting in the same result, and from the beginning I wired it up as a Paperboy so I would be able to easily swap boards.

Earlier in the year Bensonrad was kind enough to sell me his spare Paperboy CP, and when i was over there last week I finally picked it up, Came with a repro sticker for the handlebar from Muddy as well.

Was in pretty good shape but needed a bit of work, so cleaned it up a bit,
Before

cpo_before.jpg


before.jpg


cpo_before_2.jpg


buttons_before.jpg


panel_before_2.jpg


residue2.jpg


rusty_plates.jpg


rusty_plates_2.jpg


grimey_handlebars.jpg

Ideally it needed to be stripped completely and rechromed, but I just wanted to smarten it up really, so was stripped, the metal parts were t-cut and wire wooled, after seeing how ollys pole position wheel came up i wanted to try it.

Buttons were in good shape and cleaned, bolts were sanded and sprayed flat black, the cpo was given a heavy clean and going over with a magic eraser, damn that material was tough bitd!
Ive never seen so much gunk as was on the handlebars, they were literally sticky to touch....

Bit of elbow grease and it's come up nicely.

tools.jpg


cpo_after_2.jpg


cpo_after_3.jpg


cpo_after.jpg


Just need to find a PCB set, and make an adaptor that re routes the pedal pots on champ sprint to the pots in the handlebars and i'm good to go.
strykr2015-08-29 12:31:34
 
Top