CPO Printing

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
I need to get a couple of small CPO's printed out, and want them to be decent quality obviously, and laminated with that hard-wearing polycarbonate.

I have got these done by MameMarquees/GameOnGrafix before and the quality is superb...but it costs a lot to ship, takes a long time and the last time I got stung by import duty / Parcel Force surcharge. So this time I want to get them done in the UK...

Can anyone recommend somewhere that does this? I was thinking of trying pixartprinting.co.uk as they have a pretty good laminate option ('walk-on 125gsm'), but a bit concerned that the FAQ says images must be 100-150dpi for large-format printing. I would prefer 300dpi. I tried contacting them to confirm this but got no reply...

Has anyone used any other firms capable of doing this?
 

RGP

Meeter & Greeter
Feedback
5 (100%)
Credits
2,039CR
Sorry to sound like i'm the one-man promoter for colourgraphics.com, if you have a sample, send it to them (they will return it). I'm not sure what the finish is called though that we're all looking for.

I had a couple of Goliath control panels overlays done earlier in the year by them (if you were at NERG or anyone who was, the Arkanoid panel had one), I had them done in matte and then finished with a hardening coat, was wonderful unrolling the tube - it wasn't that slightly textured finish but it was good - and the adhesive is definitely good on the back.

The biggest concern will be getting the colour profile exactly right so that you get the finished print that you want.

Send them a sample if possible.
 

shrunkenmaster

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
162CR
minwah said:
... but a bit concerned that the FAQ says images must be 100-150dpi for large-format printing. I would prefer 300dpi. I tried contacting them to confirm this but got no reply...

They're talking about dpi for large-format stuff, ie. massive posters and banners. They don't need to be @300dpi. But you'll definitely want 300dpi for anything smaller!
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
shrunkenmaster said:
They're talking about dpi for large-format stuff, ie. massive posters and banners. They don't need to be @300dpi. But you'll definitely want 300dpi for anything smaller!

Thanks, I checked the FAQ again and it does say 300dpi for small format...I didn't notice that before!
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
Plus when going through the quote process it says the optimal resolution is 100dpi, so lord knows. If they replied to emails it would be helpful!
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
RGP said:
Sorry to sound like i'm the one-man promoter for colourgraphics.com, if you have a sample, send it to them (they will return it). I'm not sure what the finish is called though that we're all looking for.

I asked them about dpi and laminate:

'We print at 600dpi as standard. We only offer standard lamination in Mat & Gloss.'

I think 'standard lamination' is that thin stuff like clear vinyl, not really what I'm after. Shame as it sounds like the print quality should be top notch.

I decided to order a test piece from pixart...minus the laminate as I have seen this on someone else's sample. It's cost less than 6 quid so no big loss, and I can check the quality and colours before deciding whether to go for an expensive laminated piece from them. I will report back when received - due on Monday...
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
minwah said:
I decided to order a test piece from pixart...minus the laminate as I have seen this on someone else's sample. It's cost less than 6 quid so no big loss, and I can check the quality and colours before deciding whether to go for an expensive laminated piece from them. I will report back when received - due on Monday...

Not good quality at all. I supplied at 300dpi, not sure what it is printed at but doesn't look very good. One of the designs I supplied was the cabaret Asteroids control panel...just black and white. It shows red around all of the white bits...
 

Equites

Chief Sheesher®
vacBacker
Feedback
35 (100%)
Credits
3,326CR
RGP said:
Sorry to sound like i'm the one-man promoter for colourgraphics.com, if you have a sample, send it to them (they will return it). I'm not sure what the finish is called though that we're all looking for.

I had a couple of Goliath control panels overlays done earlier in the year by them (if you were at NERG or anyone who was, the Arkanoid panel had one), I had them done in matte and then finished with a hardening coat, was wonderful unrolling the tube - it wasn't that slightly textured finish but it was good - and the adhesive is definitely good on the back.

The biggest concern will be getting the colour profile exactly right so that you get the finished print that you want.

Send them a sample if possible.

James - what were the costs?
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
cools said:
Everyone I've used (Monkey online, webstickers.co.uk) hasn't been a patch on what Scott (GOG) produces.

I think you're right. If someone in the UK were doing as good a job then we would know about it.

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get GOG to do it.
 

RaveN

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
1,325CR
Maybe we could buy a couple from GoG to lessen the shipping costs. I could do with a Champ Sprint CPO from them (the only place that seems to do them).
Anyone else need a CPO??

Andy
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
RaveN said:
Maybe we could buy a couple from GoG to lessen the shipping costs. I could do with a Champ Sprint CPO from them (the only place that seems to do them).
Anyone else need a CPO??

Andy

I would be up for that.

One thing to note is that last time I ordered from them I got stung for £16 or so by Parcel Force for duty + their handling charge. (They didn't bother to contact me to tell me they had the parcel, and that I owed a charge, but that's another matter!)
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
Shipping cost for my last control panel overlays was $40.95 (~£27) - I guess this is a flat rate at least until getting bigger stuff done like sideart or plexi marquees.

With possible import charges incurred it could be almost £45. Considering a CPO is $33.99 this is pretty insane - sharing the shipping costs would be a big plus.
minwah2013-08-07 10:33:33
 

minwah

Active member
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
238CR
Ok mine are custom so I will get my arse into gear and finish them (I
just need to check I've got everything in the right place).

Anyone else?
 

backflipper

Active member
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
771CR
Arcade Print Shop said:
We will have a look at the printing if you want

How did this go?

I need a ms.pacman and galaga bezel printed on hard card. I also need a kick plate printed for my midway clowns..

Arcade print shop are you still around?
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
backflipper said:
Arcade Print Shop said:
We will have a look at the printing if you want

How did this go?

I need a ms.pacman and galaga bezel printed on hard card. I also need a kick plate printed for my midway clowns..

Arcade print shop are you still around?

Prob worth dropping them a message on facebook if you can, I think thats their preferred contact method.

Galaga Bezel eh?
smiley4.gif
 
Top