Euro Robotron

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
Thought I'd posted this before ... anyway, this was done just over a year ago.

I'd been looking out for a Robotron one for ages, and about 18 months ago I acquired this Euro Robotron shell off of Rav:

d9951497.jpg


Bezel off to reveal a monitor. A 15" monitor .... hmmmm ... That'll have to go:

8db6d84c.jpg


Side art, right hand side:

37fd02b4.jpg


Side art, left hand side:

150c4ee9.jpg


Shame that the '2084' is missing on both sides. I think a lot of Euro Robys were converted to Joust. I've never seen anything to document it, but I have seen Euro Roby's with Joust stickers that we're applied to cover the 2084, so I suspect there was a proper conversion kit.

This is pretty much the extent of the electronics that came with the cab. Power board with heat sink. And a speaker that shouldn't be there:

af258af0.jpg


Serial number on the power board matches that of the cab. Shame the rest of it is long gone:

a2b9b481.jpg


c8eb0f49.jpg


9adc095d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Monitor out:

23d84ef9.jpg


Founds the remains of what would once have been the bezel. Not sure from the colours wether it was a Joust or Roby bezel:

defdd445.jpg


The only other thing in the cab was the power brick:

5fa36766.jpg


Matching serial again:

c3d28025.jpg


Power supply out of the cab:

ee2c7065.jpg


Filthy on the outside:

5af96626.jpg


Nice and clean underneath:

55eb99d6.jpg


Pretty much what you'd expect to find:

41624bac.jpg


First job was to clean the cab - broke out the magic sponge and gave the cab a thorough clean. What art work there is, is in pretty good nick, with nice bright colours:

24b21264.jpg


dbc4a032.jpg


3965820f.jpg


Interesting find. Used nothing more than magic sponge and warm water and found this:

81600cc1.jpg


Unfortunately this proved to be unsaveable ....

Coin door, before:

d5e5c370.jpg


After:

b9627705.jpg


Not much going on here:

7d95a08e.jpg


Missing 98% of the wiring. None of the service switches present.

After a bit of work:

475ce1e0.jpg


It's not pretty, but it's now all there.
 

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
Side art reinstated, also new t moulding installed:

11a90e66.jpg


543006bd.jpg


Control Panel:

I can't take any credit for the following work as it was done for me by Andyman.

Before (full of holes, all in wrong places):

b544c78d.jpg


During (stripped back to galvanised steel, holes welded up, new holes cut):

42a24f84.jpg


Finished (the overlay is one of the few left (any?) of the ones that Archer did back in the day):

72f30c9e.jpg


Power Supply.

I didn't much like the look of what came with the cab, so opted to use a power supply from a US Robotron:

52b2bb00.jpg


I also happened to acquire an AC wiring harness from a US Stargate (this is a bit of a bastard of a cab):

2befad10.jpg


Anyway, repinned wiring harness for UK voltage, added a fuse and line filter, stuck a new connector on from transformer to linear power board, and stuck it all together:

4f473c69.jpg


7b59affe.jpg


b4d15e23.jpg


End result, 3 red lights:

26b75eb9.jpg


The cab came to me without marquee or bezel. The UK marquee is a lot smaller than the US, and the bezel is different.

Rich from Thisoldgame printed both for me on to glass. Brilliant work:

0b487acf.jpg


7de48d84.jpg


7b8b6fb6.jpg


51d4f65f.jpg


Bezel:

874c46de.jpg


3dd8acf8.jpg
 

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
Boards in:

33daea90.jpg


38c958b9.jpg


As is power brick. Also interlock, plus wiring for monitor and marquee.

f4e4f62f.jpg


Fitting out the*control panel:

Lights:

30f9ab0b.jpg


Ground for all the controls:

bd502dab.jpg


Leaf switches wired up, and fitted:

e1817e2a.jpg


I've made a pig's ear of this really, but this will have to do:

0962e411.jpg


Job done:

fef71f8d.jpg


37a596b2.jpg


53c45be6.jpg


96487b94.jpg


A lot of work, but feels like it was worth it.
 

guddler

Busting vectors like it's 1982!
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
4,055CR
Very nice!! (But then you sent me the pics before
smiley1.gif
)

I've got one of the CPO's, but still waiting for someone to make me a new control panel after mine got buggered up when someone tried to weld up the extra holes for me
smiley6.gif
Been two years now. To say it feels like I'm waiting for Xmas is an understatement!
 

Russ J

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
233CR
Remember reading this resto on J+ some time ago....A superb resto James,its a Euro Roby that I would love to build (got a set of repop Marquee and Bezel's ordered from Phil)....all I need is the rest of the cab
smiley36.gif
...

Saying that I would love to do a 'scratch build' on one (yeh its not the real thing but neither is the Marquee and Bezel ) would love the challenge tbh,the actual cab itself would be the easier part for me with me being a joiner by trade,its just the 'electrics' side of it that would hinder me,not sure weather to try and source an original set of boards or go with one of the Jrock boards ??
Russ J2013-09-20 22:18:39
 

guddler

Busting vectors like it's 1982!
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
4,055CR
Russ J said:
Original boards in a replica cabinet...wouldn't that be slightly 'naughty'
smiley36.gif

Nope, IMO it would add some soul! Only thing that would be naughty is if you ever sold it without declaring it as a repro cab. But even then do it right and I can't imagine any one one being put off by it being a repro. I wouldn't be.
 

Russ J

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
233CR
Fair point on the 'soul' part, at least it would have some originality to it, also coin door would be original as well. ..would never sell on as an original thats just wrong on so many levels...

My idea for a replica cab is just an idea atm, a proper cab may come along for the right price before that
 

Luigi

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
72CR
Very impressive work!! :)

What t-molding did you install? Did you find the original flat one?

I hope you didn't dump the original molding, I could use it to fill the gaps on mine ;-)
 

guddler

Busting vectors like it's 1982!
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
4,055CR
Hi - I've just had another look through these photos and have some questions!

1. Easy one. Can you take a photo of the inside with the complete wiring in please? Ta.

2. On your "In progress" picture of the control panel I notice it's warped out of shape. What was done to resolve this as mine is warped out of shape and I'm now beginning to think that maybe it's not such a write off after all! Is it just the wooden plate that's pulling it straight?

3. I'm still missing all the screws to screw the PCBs to the metal plate. Any idea where I can get some?

Thanks.

guddler2013-09-23 10:37:50
 

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
Sound is now fixed - so naff off! ;-)

The random sounds that we're being generated were down to a wire that had worked itself loose from the harness. The 'tinny' sound (lack of bass) was because I had repositioned speaker - so not sat in any sort of enclosure. An enclosure had now been secured and fitted. So sound now all good.
 
Top