Replica Cabinets

jonhughes

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
52 (100%)
Credits
1,140CR
I have a friend who has opened up a woodwork workshop. He's been making kitchens from his family run business for years. He's done my kitchen and bedroom and several others (through ongoing recommendation). We are wondering if there is any demand for replica cabinets. He can produce the cabinet shells at a reasonable price, finished or unfinished and the cabinets would be surveyed to the nearest mm using a laser scanning device. He can CNC the machine and locate the T-molding groove - you name it.

This is very early stage but there is certainly the capability. I know this has been done before but not to any extent.

So out of curiosity, is there demand? I know what is going to come back though - it depends on how much and quality. Certainly. Let's take an example a replica Pacman cabinet running an original PCB. Would you want one and how much would you expect to pay for one?
 

terminator2k2

Active member
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
327CR
I think you answered the questions in your post....the only way to go ahead with things like this, is to get a prototype made up and shown working, then test the market....I know some one used to do mini and full scale Nintendo cabs which used to do pretty well...but again all comes down to pricing.....I used to make bartops, but the I wasn't making anything when you added up the hours it took to build etc....it came with 19" lcd monitor , 2 player 6 buttons each, pandoras box 3, and choice of custom graphics.....all for £400
 

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
I think there would be some demand, but probably limited. The only replica I'd be interested in would be an exact replica, fully assembled. But even then, it'd be a big task to find the artwork or spray / stencil. Then it's adding bezel, marquee, control panel, controls, coin door, various brackets / hinges etc. Then sourcing power supply, monitor, wiring harness, speaker, PCB.

Building a replica cab is a hell of a challenge. Someone to cut and assemble the cab is potentially a very useful service, but only half the story - which is why I think demand may be limited.
 

Jodo

Boy is this a machine!
Staff member
vacBacker
Feedback
15 (100%)
Credits
607CR
If the rarer cabs could be reproduced to an exacting level (and taking into account that reproduction art is available) then I would think you would certainly find buyers for the likes of:

Star Wars
720 Degrees
Atari System 1 and 2
TRON
Pac Man Cabaret
Tempest Cabaret / Upright
Out Run Mini / Upright

I would certainly be up for a couple of those I've listed.

For me the mounting brackets need to be faithful; that is to allow a drop in CRT of the same size as the original cab; the same with the control panel mounts too. A shell (for me personally) would have options at point of order for either CRT (preferred / default) or LCD mounts, (if the buyer doesn't believe they will be able to source a CRT.)
 

tb lilley

5 Star
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,686CR
Yeah - as above. I'd add a Nintendo cab to the list.

There's a few guys in the States that have been doing exact replica shells for a few years. CNC cut and assembled. Sourcing the parts is a real pain and very expensive. But when there's no other realistic way it can make sense.
 

jimmerd

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
21 (100%)
Credits
450CR
720
smiley20.gif


I would be very interested if they matched the original machine plans so appears similar to the original factory shell and had the correct internal layout.

Offering 'mini' or alternative scale would be interesting.

jimmerd2016-01-07 21:01:17
 

Bensonrad

STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!
vacBacker
Feedback
68 (100%)
Credits
940CR
I would say there is a market out there for them, look at how many reproductions are out there on feebay these days of rare Snes/Megadrive games, movie posters, pre-printed signed photos etc and the quality keeps on getting better with them, making it harder to spot the fakes. Perhaps on the collectors forums, folks would be more inclined to keep to the real thing, I know I would. But defo reckon there is a market out there for it. As mentioned above get a proto done, certainly sounds like you have the equipment to get the job done :)
 

jonhughes

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
52 (100%)
Credits
1,140CR
Thanks for the responses.

They were working from a workshop at home but this place is much bigger. They have survived the recession and invested £50k in new equipment for these premises.

Here's the thing - you get what you pay for. Everyone has different requirements. They will make the cabinet to a particular spec if you so wish. I think the thing here (well for me anyway) is that a replica is just that. If you can't tell the difference from the outside, does it matter what's going on the inside (electricals, PSU's, hinges, etc). To me it doesn't - it's already a fake no matter what I do to it. If your aim is to have a perfect fake it will undoubtedly cost you or the parts may not even be available. It's balance and realism. We can't spend a fortune or no-one will want them when it comes to paying up.

We are going to build a proto at some point, hopefully one that will be affordable. We thought Pacman would be good because I have PCBs, We're going to see what it's going to cost to make and the time to build. If you need something bespoke you can specify that and even how far you want the build to go (e.g. with paint, without, with side art or obtain your own). You can basically specify whatever you want and if we have the template program saved in the CNC machine things should work out quite nicely. You can even go to the place and watch it being made, if you wish.

Naturally, if you can obtain a Galaxian cabinet for £500 (original) were going to be hard pressed to match that, unless you really want one. If an original Pacman would set you back £1000+ and we could do that for a lot less than it's worth doing. Early Midway cabinets, Nintendo cabinets, Konami cabinets, late Midway cabinets (Mortal Kombat, etc) are contenders for us because the PCBs are reasonably available.

If there is no requirement, it's not worth our time.

So we'll start on a prototype - I want a red Nintendo space Firebird upright cabinet to keep, either that or we'll produce a Pacman to sell on.
 

thesharkfactor

Active member
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
31CR
I would be interested in a replica of a generic jamma cab, something like a BAS or Silverline, only on a scale 3/4 its actual size.. a mini cab.

A seller over the road chrisgonz had success selling mini Nintendo cabs, I think there is a market there for mini cabs (I know I want one for my boy (and me)). I could get a new full size cab quite easily.. its been done and is being done. No where for a nice mini child size cab though..
 

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
Interesting idea Jon. I'd definately start with a Pacman cab. It's fairly easy to get this type of cab working off hardware, even if it's not the exact original PCB
 
G

Guests

Guest
Yep, an exact replica is a tall order here guys. To get the cab to be an exact copy will run into money that none of you would pay.

If the this guy can get quality cabinet panels cut from CNC files is a damned fine start leaving the enthusiast to take the cab to their preferred finish.

A friend of mine has just built an absolutely mind blowing USA Robotron upright, finished using stencils and sprayed to a finish you see on a car. The time it has taken is another story and shipping parts over the pond another.
 

BarrySlisk

Active member
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
162CR
If I was UK based (and maybe even anyway - don't know about shipping cost to Denmark. Maybe cheaper unassembled) then I would pay good money for Dynamo style cabinets (Commando, 1943, etc.). Getting a cabinet from USA is very expensive but the PCB's, marquee can be shipped.

If I did not have to worry about shipping then I would probably pay £3-400 for an empty cabinet. Especially if it was already painted.

I think you would have to start doing max 3 cabinet types and then try to mass produce them.
BarrySlisk2016-01-08 09:12:03
 

Kewydee

Active member
Credits
221CR
I would love to see Zaccaria replica's made - something like this

ur5.jpg


This is what i'd really like

Dream_Zac_cab_Mr._Do!.jpg

Kewydee2016-01-08 09:25:06
 

urbanledge

Active member
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
95CR
Getting tmold to suit 18mm is a problem.
When I did my replica DK the original Nintendo tmold was .1mm wider on each side.

Youd think this wouldnt be a big deal but it was.

I had to set up a jig and shave it all down.
 

_Matt_

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
952CR
It would be a great service to offer. I think your main market though would probably be for cabs that are near impossible to get hold of or custom jobs like 3/4 size cabs. I think the problem will come down to price for most people. When you add up all the costs to make a scratch build then add on the makers profit which I'm sure would be a decent wedge considering all the time and effort put in. I would imagine in some cases it will be more expensive to build a high quality replica than buying an original cab in good condition.
Interesting idea though and maybe mass production would bring prices down? I'd certainly be interested in a Nintendo cab!
 

JamesSS

Newbie
Credits
0CR
Great idea. I would definitely be interested several of these on the list, and many more that are not, but probably more in bare wood shells or even in kit form (not put together).
 

Carlito3

Active member
Feedback
5 (100%)
Credits
115CR
I would be interested in a 'flat pack' version of a Taito S.I. or even (as someone mentioned earlier) just a BAS 19" jamma cabinet. Just pay for the service of cutting the panels out of ply and routing for the T-Mould, as opposed to MDF like the ones on Ebay, so I could do the rest myself.
 
Top