Superman - Taito Repair

TheDaddy

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
14 (93%)
Credits
7,183CR
Hi all , Thought I would post my latest repair on here and with any luck it will help others out. I apologise now for my bad spelling and grammar ! Listed as much as I can, And tried to explain as much as I can without people falling asleep while reading.

So I have not posted any repairs for now as I have not been doing many due to family issues. I have a few that I am half way through but am waiting for parts or sadly a few that have been put on the too hard pile ! (For Now)So anyways today we have an original Taito superman. I personally was not a big fan although I certainly will be playing this from time to time. As always I purchased this as faulty. The reported fault was " No Audio/No Video). So I did a visual check on the board and it is very very clean and could not see any issues. I fired it up and was greeted with a Brown screen and nothing else ( I forgot to take photo before the repair ! - Sorry ). So I turned the pot up and we had audio ! Very rare for me. CPU was running and game was running blind. Ok so we not have a video issue. Before we crack open the scope and probe I tend to turn on and have a play with the chips, Pushing, pulling & Tapping to see if we have any change. When I touched the 2 Taito Seta X1 chips I got a bit of video. So looking closer than before ( As I bloody missed it during my first visual , To be fair it was hard to spot !) I spotted a guage between the 2 chips cutting 5 traces :-

Gauge.jpg


So first job was to fire the iron up and repair this. Easier said than done as there are very close so I first tried with wire but wasn't happy as it was just melting the plastic covering. So I opted for thin solid core ( Used left over capacitor legs , They always come in handy ! ) as the gauge was about correct.

repair.jpg


So I crossed my fingers and fired it up ………………………….

working.jpg


So everything works , Controls , Audio and video. One thing I love about original boards is the quality of board and the accuracy of board. The volatage of this is spot on 5v and 12v. You can tell on my system by the 12v if this is 13.5 ish then we have cranked the 5v up.

volts.jpg


So there we have it, A small repair but another saved from the clutches of the scrap man. I hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoy reviving dead boards. If you could leave a comment or give me a thanks that would be great. I will keep posting these if people read and enjoy ??

Dave.
[sub][/sub][sup][/sup]

[sub][/sub][sup][/sup]

P.S Looking for an original or booty Aliens.

TheDaddy2018-10-21 22:16:05
 

mysticmonk

Active member
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,043CR
Thanks for that. Only a small job, but the more of this information that is shared, even at a basic level, the better it is for everyone, especially with pitctures. Keep it up, no matter how small or silly, there are loads of people who don't even know where to begin (I don't much myself)
 

TheDaddy

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
14 (93%)
Credits
7,183CR
Thank you so much for your support. Its messages like yours that keeps me posting !!

I have 50 - 60 in for repair so hopefully some more coming soon.

Currently working on :-

Final fight (big job , lots wrong but getting there)

Wonderboy 3 (bootleg )
Wonderboy 3 (original sega)
Golden axe (original)
Shinobi (original)
1945 (original)

And lots lots more.

Dave.
 

TheDaddy

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
14 (93%)
Credits
7,183CR
Sadly not original !! I have 2 bootlegs at the minute, Half way there with both of them.

Dave.

P.S one just sold on greedbay for £123 (Plus postage)
 
Top