Taito Type X2 Computer Upgrades

myPinballs

Active member
Feedback
18 (100%)
Credits
730CR
Decided to rebuild a dead and very dirty taito type X2 unit i got in. I already had a nos motherboard and graphic card but wanted to investigate the power supply and fan situation. I read that you could use a range of newer silent fan offerings to i've been experimenting with the best options

The power supply is a pretty nice design and fit neatly along 1 side with a very clear air cooling flow design. The thing itself as super crusty and the fans were done so i cleaned it all up.

After some cleaning

IMG_5375.jpgIMG_5376.jpg


Then i got some newer 40x40mm silent fans to use but the length (10mm instead of 28mm) of them is too short leavening gaps in the case. Not great. These were recommended on another thread doing something similar, hmmmm. Also i am wondering if the flow rate will be enough to.

IMG_5366.jpg

I'm going to design some adapter fan tunnels to plug onto the end of them 18mm length to that will allow the air to move correctly, but I still don't know if the flow rate will be enough though as the rating (CFM) is alot lower than the std ones. Am i missing something??
 

channel27

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
1,349CR
I 3D printed fan tunnels to fill the 18mm gap (and glued them in place iirc)

Screenshot 2026-09-24 at 13.52.37.png
I'll dig out the stl if you're interested.

They work well with the 40mm Noctua fans I used and the airflow seems good.
 

myPinballs

Active member
Feedback
18 (100%)
Credits
730CR
Thanks, i've got my own design now so gonna try these, but good to know we had the same thought. I have some of those 20mm thick noctua ones coming to if these arent good enough. They are gelid silent4 ones. Almost no noise out of them which is amazing but whether they are upto the job is another story.
 
Top