Tech:SCRAMBLE

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
[ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
I've just fired up my SCRAMBLE bootleg called STARFIRE.
The connections are the KONAMI style, and I've connected +5V, +12V and the
monitor inputs.
The game works fine, sound and all is there, but on the pinouts I have it
mentions -5V.
What's that for then? As I understand, certain ICs need -5V, but the game is
functioning ok without it.
Any ideas?

And while I'm on the subject, can anyone tell me which ROM has the title /
intro data on it?
I'd like to re-burn it with the original name "SCRAMBLE" and "How far can
you penetrate our SCRAMBLE system".

Cheers

Jase



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by Jase (jase@stackwaddy.freeserve.co.uk)
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
I believe and someone will correct me if i am wrong the -5v may well be used
for sound
also some older pcbs require -5v for the memory chips and if its not there
it will eventually kill those memory chips
so probably best to wire it up

Mark



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by markgwilliams (markgwilliams@ntlworld.com)
 

LukeWells

Active member
Credits
334CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
Is this true? That if a memory chip requires -5v that if it is not supplied
with -5v then it will work but eventually die?

Luke
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
I believe that to be the case with space invader memories not too sure about
scramble but why chance it?



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by markgwilliams (markgwilliams@ntlworld.com)
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
Well

I'm not sure if it's ture or not.... but in the case of the Scramble it was
only used for the sound...... and as I recall this board did not require it
anyway.......

You will be able to check this anyway if you can turn the volume up with no
sound problems..... then it's ok....

You could also check the board at the pin as you may find it does not go
anywhere anyway... in which case you will know for sure it's not
needed......

This is basically a common Konami edge connector config...... so if you are
thinking of using it for other Konami Games (Pre Jamma) you could always
connect it that way you will always get sound if the board requires it......

Regards

Darren

P.s. I know Roc'N'Rope & Jail Break use -5v for the sound.



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by Dazzer (daz@darrenwhitsed.freeserve.co.uk)
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
Thanks for the info lads. I've connected the -5V (the traces DO go
somewhere, therefore it IS required!), and it hasn't made any difference!

Still, the game works a treat, it's actually called STARFIGHTER, and
certainly looks like one of those dodgy bootlegs where they've just edited
the name & copywrite. Is it really worth dumping for MAME if this is the
case?

BTW, is it possible to swap the ROMS for Super Cobra? Just wondering...

Right, I'm off to try and boot up another of my unknown untested PCBs, what
joy!!! :)

Jase



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by Jase (jase@stackwaddy.freeserve.co.uk)
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,246CR
[ukvac] Re: Tech:SCRAMBLE
Yes those 3 rail RAMs need all three voltages to be there in case
they are damaged. The voltages are supposed to come up in a certain
order on power-on as well. In the early days of chip memory in
mainframes there were thousands of these chips and the power supplies
had loads of checks to ensure tens of thousands of pounds worth of
chips were'nt blown! Wow if only I had kept a few of those boards
when the machines were scrapped I'd have enough TMS4060's to supply
the world! They are pretty rare now.



DATA Imported from archives: originally posted by (andrewwarne@cableinet.co.uk)
 

Macro

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
1,995CR
Re: [ukvac] Tech:SCRAMBLE
> Still, the game works a treat, it's actually called STARFIGHTER, and
> certainly looks like one of those dodgy bootlegs where they've just edited
> the name & copywrite. Is it really worth dumping for MAME if this is the
> case?

only if the gameplay is different, if it's just the copyright & graphics
then it won;t get put in anyway.
 
Top