Baby Pacman Restoration

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
Baby Pacman has been sat in my garage since October, as I've had no time to take a look at it.

Today
I've made the effort to get up early and take an initial look, so I can
gauge how much work is involved in getting it to a fairly decent
standard. My plan is to spend some time on it over the Xmas period, as
I've got a fair bit of time off work.

My thoughts before I looked
at it was that I'd probably have major issues with the artwork and
playfield, and that the cabinet would need some serious attention. I
had not looked at the PCB's or wiring so didn't know how bad/good things
were.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my initial photos and initial impressions with you:

The Control Panel:

The CP artwork is worn and will need replacing:

8276631899_b37f91e45c.jpg


Under the CP - the metal work looks ok. No rust but very dirty:

8277686658_e87ec2d018.jpg


8276629469_47eb7b69b2.jpg


8277686596_6b6f474758.jpg


Coin Door / Grills:

Looks pretty tidy.

8276631851_81d0f94457.jpg


Some rust above coin mechs. Nothing major:

8277687004_790a40de51.jpg


The PCB's:

Battery is missing on the MPU?? Looks
like there is some corrosion on the PCB and behind it. Not sure if this
is from a previous leak or not, but this needs looking at fairly
urgently. I have a spare but this has quite bad corrosion, and not sure
how fixable it is

8276630283_ecaa58bf00.jpg


Solenoid PCB looks ok. I have a spare:

8277687690_7cdb2fc893.jpg


Vidiot PCB looks ok. I have a spare:

8276630473_5de69efde4.jpg


Power Supply PCB looks ok, but the transformer is rusty so needs sorting:

8276630209_1e3525189c.jpg


Glass and Playfield:

Glass covering was extremely dirty, so difficult to tell if there were any scratches etc

8276631437_075f779040.jpg


Gave the glass a bit of a clean and some very minor damage on the edges but nothing major:

8277685998_cb1a9bfae5.jpg


The other glass and marquee also looked fairly good:

8276631529_b059836758.jpg


8277688808_aab93b1898.jpg


I
removed the playfield glass and to my surprise it was in very good
condition. I was expecting to replace this, but I don't think that I
need too:

8276629261_e8746c8b3f.jpg


Clearly some of the targets will need replacing as they looked a bit worn and dull:

8276629159_af39637716.jpg


8276629053_de9b3f5115.jpg


8276628929_963a3945ee.jpg


The only wear I could see was here:

8277686094_0f10012b7c.jpg


and here:

8277686196_9d506fdac0.jpg


The Cabinet:

Left hand side is fairly tidy - a few
nicks here and there. The artwork needs replacing. The bottom of the
cab is a mess where its been dragged. Looks like the the leg levelers
are either missing or damaged:

8276632003_e1011d016a.jpg


8277689236_c573a27212.jpg


Same at the front :-(

8277689040_9b303272e0.jpg


Top Right hand side is not too bad apart from a chunk that is missing at the back:

8276631753_a3584d57c1.jpg


Pretty bad at the bottom and there is a chunk missing bottom right:

8277688882_01cd73d90e.jpg


Closer shots:

8277688290_a638deb5c2.jpg


8276631085_88f0979feb.jpg


8276630929_396a0e755a.jpg


8276630839_90aa4944ff.jpg


8277688072_ab79342c79.jpg


The back of the cab is pretty bad aswell. Chunks missing here and there:

8277688456_9d78e78204.jpg


Door held on by tape :-(

8276631269_d859fc17e0.jpg


Pretty bad at the top:

8277688610_4e2f545b0f.jpg


The cabling looks very dodgy and dangerous and will need some replacements:

8277687408_9f64cdc971.jpg


Ballast half hanging off:

8276630137_05609de172.jpg


More dodgy cabling on the monitor. This will also need a recap:

8277687982_9f74823916.jpg


8276630627_e8d45a1d66.jpg


So quite a bit of work to do. I'll start by stripping down the cabinet and tidying that first

Purity2014-01-15 17:43:23
 

guddler

Busting vectors like it's 1982!
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
4,056CR
That's really nice and I think you may be being a bit over critical!! Playfield in particular looks good enough that I wouldn't be doing anything other than cleaning it. These Baby Pac's are normally in considerably worse condition that this.

All in all I'd say you've got a sweet machine there that should come up really nice with, in reality, a minimum of effort!
 

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
Yes agreed, playfield looks really good. I only intend to clean/wax it now after seeing it. It doesn't need replacing. It has a plastic mylar coating over it which has protected it.

Alpha1 - yes, i will be removing everything, fixing the cabinet damage and sanding/repainting. I was just about to place an order with Phoenix arcade for the CP overlay and sideart. If you can sort me out with that, that would be great

Purity2012-12-17 10:53:13
 

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
Not given an update on this for a while, so here is a list of things I've been working on:

1) Stripped all the parts out, in order to start working on repairing the cabinet:

Pac_Stripped.jpg


2) Started to get the cabinet back into shape as it was swollen and damaged at the back. See pics above to see the original state it was in

Damage_Repair1.jpg


Damage_Reapir2.jpg


3) Built a box for the playfield to sit on so that no coils or wires etc get broken underneath, whilst I was working on it:

Built_Box_Pac.jpg


After this point the weather was pretty bad so I started working on the internals.

5) Cleaned the PCB's

PCB_Clean1.jpg


PCB_Clean2.jpg


4) Stripped down the playfield as much as possible, and gave it an initial clean:

Stripped_Pac_Playfield.jpg


5) Cleaned all the plastics, metal work. Replaced the rubbers, post caps and bulbs. Cleaned and waxed the table a couple of times, and then re-assembled the playfield:

IMG00097-20130323-1618.jpg


Just need to work on the spinners and replace the drop targets and the playfield is in good shape:

IMG00098-20130323-1620.jpg


IMG00093-20130323-1616.jpg


Purity2013-03-23 17:37:13
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
What did you use to clean the PCB's with Purity? Always interesting to hear peoples different methods.

Ive never seen one of these in the flesh either, looks quite fun.
 

Purity

The Oracle
vacBacker
Feedback
17 (100%)
Credits
2,999CR
chadsarcade said:
That's coming up nicely, look forward to a game in the future :)

Thanks mate. Of course you can have as many games on it as you like when I get it finished.

Just working on the cabinet itself at the moment. Repairing the damage and sanding down the sides.

I'll probably post some more pics up soon.
 

trm

Who loves you, and who do you love?
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
2,876CR
That is a really sweet cab Ben! I guess I'm going to have to make my way oop Norf at some point to see some of the VACers up there
smiley1.gif
 
Top